If you could master any two MA what would it be?

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone ever really, truly, "master" an art? ;)

But, hey. That's a hard question. I suppose... Wing Chun, and... perhaps a Filipino system. Only just getting exposed to Pekiti Tirsia and Lameco, though.

There's so much good stuff out there, though. Aikido, Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, HEMA, numerous koryu arts, defensive/tactical pistol/carbine, and who knows what else that I'd love to train in. I think I'd almost rather be a "jack of all trades, master of none," but, I definitely seek to reach a certain level of competence and understanding in whatever arts I pursue.

Last edited:

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our Moo Duk Kwan TSD (using our because I know other MDK TSD schools do things differently) and BJJ.

Good Striking from TSD
Good Ground from BJJ
Good Standing Grappling from both
|
I think this is an excellent choice for many, including especially MMA competitors. I think your striking style is way under-represented, though not in my locale. Myself, I would prefer Judo because I believe in staying closer to the Japanese in this area. Nonetheless, it's very hard to argue other than for BJJ.
|
One question, I wasn't aware of the emphasis on standing grappling in TSD. Maybe this is something I should consider....
|
EDIT: What appeals to you about the TSD striking conventions?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
... Wing Chun, and... perhaps a Filipino system. Only just getting exposed to Pekiti Tirsia and Lameco...

There's so much good stuff out there, though....

Ahhh. I can agree with that. For me it's also Ving Tsun and FMA. If I had more time I'd also get some grappling in. There's a great BJJ school down the road a piece...

BTW am I the only one so immature that I have trouble with the name LAME-CO???? :D

...Couldn't they at least write it La-Me-Co? ....No disrespect to the late Guro Edgar Sulite. A great master by all accounts.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Viking Berzerker Fighting and Tetragrammaton Gun Katas, the ultimate cross training :D

Actually I already train in Karate and Ju Jitsu so that would be my answer. Tai Chi and Kali would be on the wish list.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two and Two only!
I'd go for CCK Taiji mantis and BJJ :)
I love the taiji mantis philosophy of speed, precision and sticking to ones opponent, and I like the grappling and groundwork of BJJ:)

I'd go for Kyokushin and BJJ. I like the hard core mentality of Kyokushin and BJJ..well, when it comes to ground work, it's at the top of the list. :)

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
BJJ or sambo for the ground work. There's a lot more options for good standup I think: mantis, Muay thai, Chen taiji, xingyi, etc. I'm studying BJJ but I've seen sambo to also be incredibly effective. For the stand up, I don't think anything stands up to Muay thai for striking. That being said, I like trapping, footwork, control, and even some grappling in the standup which can be seen in mantis, taiji, etc.

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Grappling and Boxing.

Grappling because of a lot of reasons.

Boxing because it is extremely practical and lethal, especially if I'm wearing SAP gloves.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okinawan Karate or Chinese Karate.
|
I would buttress my traditional style of karate by cross-training one or more the the older, originating styles of karate.

OP
Q

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to change this and refine it, that is if two different styles of the same art fall under "any two MA"

Yang Taijiquan
Sun Taijiquan

If that is not allowed it is still Taiji and Bagua, but it would be Yang Taijiquan and Cheng Baguazhang
Nice :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I cannot argue with Dirty Dog's pairings, I'd have to go with Taekwondo and BJJ.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ameridote and Sinanju. Absolutely.

As much as I like and respect Master Ken, I would have to go with Sinanju. Knocking bullets aside into a pile? How cool is that? :)

Yes and it's possible to master each and still not be able to blend the two together in a functional package, it takes lots of work. But that is why I love it.

In the Hapkido I studied, striking was never an end to itself. It was normally paired with something else such as a block, unless we were the attacker for someone else to practice. But we did have our strikes, but even then it was normally a double hit, say to a hand or wrist, then to another part of the body.

I always did think strikes weren't emphasized enough though, that I agree with. Luckily for me, I had previously studied TKD, so `I had some idea how to make kicks and strikes more effective.

As to what two for me? Like Instructor; Hapkido and Hapkido.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being a Korean stylist already, I appreciate Sinaju's "wrist tap" to put women into a state bliss. I tried it on my wife. She shoved me & said, "get off me!" I need more practice, apparently. ;):banghead:

Latest Discussions