If you could choose one knife....

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My CS Recon Tanto is one of my favorite production knives. It doesn't come close to comparing to my Hartsook ODA, but if I had to go production, that would be a good choice.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Chicago Cutlery Butcher knife.

"But your honor, I didnt think, I was panicked so I just grabbed a kitchen knife and started swinging and hoped he wouldnt kill me" sounds a lot more believable than "Well, I was panicked so I grabbed this awesome combat knife, I bought just for this purpose, and started swinging and hoped he didnt kill me"

Yeah... did I say that online? Damn, I can't use that defense anymore.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Chicago Cutlery Butcher knife.

"But your honor, I didnt think, I was panicked so I just grabbed a kitchen knife and started swinging and hoped he wouldnt kill me" sounds a lot more believable than "Well, I was panicked so I grabbed this awesome combat knife, I bought just for this purpose, and started swinging and hoped he didnt kill me"

Yeah... did I say that online? Damn, I can't use that defense anymore.

Your claim of self defense rests on your reasonable fear of death or serious injury. If you say you were in a blind panic you have just cut the legs out from under your own case. But you're headed in the right direction. "He burst into the house with what looked like a gun in his hand. I was afraid he was going to kill me, so I grabbed the first big knife I could find and defended myself," might be a little better way to phrase it. And it's got the advantage of being true.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are some things which it is good to say police. If your attacker isn't there any longer give them a description. If you're hurt - and you might be without knowing it - tell them that you are hurt and need to go to the hospital. Tell them that you were attacked and had to defend yourself. And thank them for showing up. The police seldom talk to people who are happy to see them.

Beyond that, yeah. Samson slew the Philistines with the jawbone of an ***. There's no need to do oneself in with the same weapon :)

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd choose my Bowie. Actually, I have several - made a couple of them myself. Then the ***hole could appreciate the workmanship just before he eats all 14" of the blade...

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
All depends on where in the home and what the situation is and if one of my guns is not close enough.

I have a cold steel SRK I like, and a CS LTC Kukri.
I carry a CRK&T Casper/Pulkowski folder and a little hand made claw blade.
And I dont rule out kitchen knives either, I have to that are sickeningly sharp.

I am thinking of ordering a workable copy of the Roman Meinz pattern Gladus and a Pugio (Dagger) from a custom maker in Pa.
I am a big Rome buff and think it would be nice to have a Gladus and Pugio hanging on the wall in the living room, right over where I tend to sit.
The Gladus killed alot of people and it's a nice design, actually feels good when I do patterns from Pekiti Tarsi, as well as stabbing. ( I have played with a reproduction but have yet to buy one.)
A Gladus in my right and a Pugio on my left would be a nasty thing to face in the confines of my living room.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
hmm got so many.. a bolo from the PI is nice, got a pair of swords, kbar, basilard dagger... kukuri ... bayonet for an M1 garand.. all handy and all good and sharp.. so which ever was closer provably.. but then the 12 gage shot gun with the 12 inch bladed M1 bayonet on it.. first choice.. hmm could i be a red neck ???

Topeng

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If it came down to it, a chopstick or pencil would work. I've got a fixed blade kerambit by the bed and a tanto on the dresser.
Downstairs I would have to put Chef Tony's word to the test on those knives I bought off of TV. Those things look more like weapons than kitchen tools to begin with.
One knife: The most intimidating I can find. A display sword will still do damage.

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
BTTT....The Strider AR in my nightstand, or the Greyman in the spare room. Honestly, I think I'd even use the FX Vader lightsaber, cause while their thinking "WTF" I'm hitting them with the M4 or the Kimber in my other hand.:EG:

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I now have a CS Recon Tanto, which I got for a relative song ($70 plus some change) from TheBladeShop. Paul's excellent advice notwithstanding, I'd have a hard time sneaking a three-figure knife through the Screening Process—'??? What did you spend $350 on??? ... a knife???!!!...' So for the sake of peace in the family, one sometimes has to compromise (and plot out strategy for down the line...) The CS RT feels as if it would slice the knob off our front door if I swung it down hard enough the right way, and it has a very nasty look to it that would I suspect give the hypothetical home invader reason to maybe crawl back out the window he came in through... especially after being hit in the face with one or more of the shuriken I've accumulated and keep handy, indoors or out. I mean, the OP asks about bladed weapons, and throwing stars sure count, eh? :lol:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I now have a CS Recon Tanto, which I got for a relative song ($70 plus some change) from TheBladeShop. Paul's excellent advice notwithstanding, I'd have a hard time sneaking a three-figure knife through the Screening Process—'??? What did you spend $350 on??? ... a knife???!!!...' So for the sake of peace in the family, one sometimes has to compromise (and plot out strategy for down the line...) The CS RT feels as if it would slice the knob off our front door if I swung it down hard enough the right way, and it has a very nasty look to it that would I suspect give the hypothetical home invader reason to maybe crawl back out the window he came in through... especially after being hit in the face with one or more of the shuriken I've accumulated and keep handy, indoors or out. I mean, the OP asks about bladed weapons, and throwing stars sure count, eh? :lol:

Hey Exile that is a good knife and the best thing about it if it does get damaged then you are only out $70.
icon6.gif

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Exile that is a good knife and the best thing about it if it does get damaged then you are only out $70.
icon6.gif

True—that is something to consider... aggressive use of a very expensive knife is something that I don't like to think about. With a Randall, say... you wait three years and shell out X thousand dollars and probably wind up being too worried about keeping it in mint condition to actually use the thing. I'll bet an awful lot of those knives, or maybe most of them, sit around in collector's cases...

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
you wait three years and shell out X thousand dollars and probably wind up being too worried about keeping it in mint condition to actually use the thing. I'll bet an awful lot of those knives, or maybe most of them, sit around in collector's cases...
Very true...for a hard use knife that won't break your heart if it gets damaged, you can't beat Cold Steel, Jeff Randall's RAT series, or the tried-and-true Ka-Bar.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very true...for a hard use knife that won't break your heart if it gets damaged, you can't beat Cold Steel, Jeff Randall's RAT series, or the tried-and-true Ka-Bar.

The Ka-Bar I knew about, but not the Randall RAT—thanks for the pointer, ktx!

Latest Discussions