If Mr. Parker Was Still With Us.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think he would be collaberating with Jeff Speakman, looking for a younger perspective.
Does anybody know why Parker had such an untimely death? Did he not take care of his health?

No, Mr Parker then, just like many instuctors now was over weight and was not the picture of health and fitness.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, Mr Parker then, just like many instuctors now was over weight and was not the picture of health and fitness.

Cheers

Mr. Parker suffered from chronic Obstructive Sleep Apnea, (OSA) and was never treated. It caused the weight gain, as well as the unusual sleep patterns (or lack therefore for those that knew him), and typically contributed to his massive unexpected heart failure.

whitedragon_48

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Enough as to how SGM Parker died! Doesn't matter. Lets focus on how he lived. I myself let myself go a bit on recent years just to once again get in shape. I regularly use my AK at work. Even out of shape, fat, lazy, possibly hung over, it worked. Why? If taught properly AK will work. I dealt with wrestlers and boxers and a TKD trained inmate, in the end, they all ended up on the ground wearing a pair of my matching bracelets. Fat as I was kenpo still did the trick.

Why are we asking what would kenpo be if SGM Parker was alive? Look into you! Look unto those who have to use it and the answers will be right there!

On December, 06 I was invited to the MA dojo of a good friend of mine. He is an accomplished grappler with many MMA trophies, an athlete. Me, a somewhat overweight, but solid prison guard. We compared notes on our respective systems. He had some FMA training so we compared our knife techs. I explained to him how people really get stabbed in the real world, how I've gotten stabbed 3 times. Its all nice when you're attacked in text book fashion, but when a raging bull charges you with a knife is another story.

Lastly we spared. We decided to compare our systems where it counts out on the mat. He as a grappler went in for a take down, as he shot in I snap-kicked him on his left knee, keeping contact to a minimum but letting him know that it was there. We went down, as we did I sandwiched his head with two open-hand ear slaps, then an elbow and a hammer fist to the back of the neck. As he mounted I raked his eyes, hammered to his groin and clawed at his face. Lastly as he set up for an arm bar I bit him on his leg. I think the only thing I didn't do was spit on his eyes. The thought did cross my mind.

Did he win? You could say so given that none of my strikes were aimed at hurting him so he continued his fight while I did mine. He did get up with his eyes wide open. He knew what had just happened had it been for real. He gained a true respect for AK.

Oh yes! I also get the:"Well he can also fight dirty." from the MMA crowd. Yeah and if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its *** when it jumps. My reply is unless you trained for it, the Combat Fairy will not come during a fight and tap you on the head.

Once again, train as you fight.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Parker suffered from chronic Obstructive Sleep Apnea, (OSA) and was never treated. It caused the weight gain, as well as the unusual sleep patterns (or lack therefore for those that knew him), and typically contributed to his massive unexpected heart failure.

I'm sure that contributed but I have an interview with Mr Parker where he talks about how much he ate and how he stacked on weight when living at Elvis' house so I'm sure given a lack of controlled eating there would certainly transcend to poor eating habits later. Sleep apnea alone doesn't make you fat it just means you would have to watch your weight more.

Cheers

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that no benefit comes from wondering where Kenpo would be if Mr Parker was alive. I'm sure there are 100 high ranking guys out there who would say that they are taking Kenpo in the direction Mr Parker would have if he were alive. Unfortunately no one can know for sure and can only move forward with what they have. If it works then use it regardless of what other hypothesize would be the case if Mr Paker were alive. It is ashame that there isn't more unity in Kenpo but thats life.

Cheers

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Enough as to how SGM Parker died! Doesn't matter. Lets focus on how he lived. I myself let myself go a bit on recent years just to once again get in shape. I regularly use my AK at work. Even out of shape, fat, lazy, possibly hung over, it worked. Why? If taught properly AK will work. I dealt with wrestlers and boxers and a TKD trained inmate, in the end, they all ended up on the ground wearing a pair of my matching bracelets. Fat as I was kenpo still did the trick.

Why are we asking what would kenpo be if SGM Parker was alive? Look into you! Look unto those who have to use it and the answers will be right there!

On December, 06 I was invited to the MA dojo of a good friend of mine. He is an accomplished grappler with many MMA trophies, an athlete. Me, a somewhat overweight, but solid prison guard. We compared notes on our respective systems. He had some FMA training so we compared our knife techs. I explained to him how people really get stabbed in the real world, how I've gotten stabbed 3 times. Its all nice when you're attacked in text book fashion, but when a raging bull charges you with a knife is another story.

Lastly we spared. We decided to compare our systems where it counts out on the mat. He as a grappler went in for a take down, as he shot in I snap-kicked him on his left knee, keeping contact to a minimum but letting him know that it was there. We went down, as we did I sandwiched his head with two open-hand ear slaps, then an elbow and a hammer fist to the back of the neck. As he mounted I raked his eyes, hammered to his groin and clawed at his face. Lastly as he set up for an arm bar I bit him on his leg. I think the only thing I didn't do was spit on his eyes. The thought did cross my mind.

Did he win? You could say so given that none of my strikes were aimed at hurting him so he continued his fight while I did mine. He did get up with his eyes wide open. He knew what had just happened had it been for real. He gained a true respect for AK.

Oh yes! I also get the:"Well he can also fight dirty." from the MMA crowd. Yeah and if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its *** when it jumps. My reply is unless you trained for it, the Combat Fairy will not come during a fight and tap you on the head.

Once again, train as you fight.

Nice.

Latest Discussions