I would never want to be without my....

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree. It's the Rambo: First Blood Part II answer: "I've always believed that the mind is the most powerful weapon of all." It turns a vague question into a party-game. I am reminded of the Trivial Pursuit question: What did every human since the beginning of time die of? Answer: Lack of oxygen to the brain. To all those who answered knowledge/brain/intuition/etc., I ask: Surely you wouldn't go in there without an adequate supply of oxygen???

Indeed, it's a change of subject and a form of one-upmanship. This is already not an especially deep subject for a thread, but the first few people listing a weapon on the first page gave brief explanations for their choice, whereas "Knowledge." is something of a thread-stopper. This leaves aside the question of whether it would be possible to go somewhere without your knowledge/brain/etc.

I didn't think tellner was inciting an argument or showing trollish behaviour. I thought his point was dead-on, and as this thread is a frequent "let's try to get some posts going here" thread starter, it comes up often enough to be worth addressing. It's about topicality (we are in a Weapons section, after all, and I understadn MT to mean "physical weapons" in its use of the term here). Would this thread be interesting to read if it was full of answers like "brain/mind/etc."? isn't it potentially more interesting when people are discussing the merits of different tools? Would anyone like to read a discussion of whether your brain is more important than your cardiovascular system in a violent encounter?

For those who chose personal abilities and training over weapons, I refer you to the Wikipedia entry on the Boxer Rebellion. But if you'd still prefer to be unarmed, please explain and support that position--don't drop in a one-word, holier-than-thou non-answer.

And yet, the USMC issues its members rifles at great cost to the United States taxpayer.

Mind you, those listing tanks etc. are also not playing fair. But I suppose it's a matter of whether one wants a martial arts discussion or a "name a larger weapons systems" thread. Anyone care to jump straight to Imperial Death Star and win?

Jeff,

TEllner's original post was trollish. He was insulting and looking to cause conflict because it touched him personally. He does not wish to admit it, nor explain why it is ugly or dirty to think about or know about the reality of the situation.

His second post was a much better attempt at trying to explain his frustration over the knowledge answer.

But you see Jeff, I have seen a pattern from TEllner and that it is ok for him to call people out. It is ok for him to insult people. But when I do it or others do it is wrong. So my point is that he is trying to have it both ways and not respond intelligently to my questions to him here and other locations, but chooses to ignore them.

How is that any different in the end then the thread stopper answer of knowledge? To be it is not. You see, I have not posted for a long time because of TEllner and the fact that this board seems to like him and wishes to promote his attitude. I removed him from my ignore list trying to be the better man. Trying to see if I made a mistake. And right out of the gate I see this duplicitous action again.

He is allowed to insult people and kill treads his way, but for others it is not allowed. When I tried to report in the past I get a message back saying I am being reprimanded for a post I made to use the ignore button. Then I get some staff member sending me a message trying to find out obtusely if I am really upset. I am not. I am disappointed. I find that I ask myself, "Why should I share my knowledge with people who wish to promote an insulting arrogant person?" I am not looking for an all the time PC feel good discussion here. I enjoy a good argument with well detailed positions and points.

As to why or how knowledge could be the correct answer:

1) I choose not to drink and thereby limiting my brain activity.

2) I choose not to do drugs including smoking cigarettes as this may cause an agitated state or altered state of mind.

3) I choose to look for exits when I enter a place.

4) I choose to look for people in the crowd that walk and carry themselves in a manner I come to recognize.

Now, if TEllner and others wished to ask for people to expand why they stated KNOWLEDGE then that would be in the premise of the "Friendly Discussion of Martial Arts" that this board was based upon.

Instead, he calls ********! Well I am calling ******** on him.

I am still waiting for a reply form him.

Yet, Jeff as I stated in another post here, I agree that those that have no clue of violence and no clue of conflict or how they will react need to understand that this is an issue. But I always think back to this guy I know at work. His last fight was when he was pushed down at the age of 4 or 5 in kindergarten. Since then he has avoided all forms of conflict. He grew up in a well off home. He went to nice schools. He went to a good college. He uses his knowledge, to drive safe roads to not go to places where he might feel like he is in danger or having fear. His knowledge of martial arts is limited to knowing that they exist. His knowledge of weapons is that of he knows they exist. Yet, he walks into a situation with the knowledge he has. But he actively chooses the path he is on to protect himself.

So, I repeat, that asking for a better explanation is a good point.

That asking for clarification is good.

That asking for details on what they mean is good.

But, to first cry ******** and then to base his whole second post on assumptions that are not posted or stated by anyone until he posts them.

This is like testing them on a theorem that is covered in a previous class and assuming that everyone can show the work even though they might have a shorter solution with a new method in place. But is one does not explicitly ask or state what is to be assumed then it is unfair to for them to presume and assume that others are thinking what they are thinking.

So, until someone explains to me how his actions were not trollish, and while I see some of your points that he had valid points to make, he did not express them properly. He insulted people as he has in the past and expects everyone to treat him with kid gloves.

To me that is BS!

My apologies to the board and staff, but the issue here is not of what was intended, but the impact of his actions. The Supreme Court ruled for sexual harassment that the IMPACT was what mattered. I am just trying to make a point that TEllner's actions were not proper, nor what he wants to be treated like, or how his friends who have sent me messages in the past telling me I had better leave him alone. To me this makes me wonder what is up with this person and his friends.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is already not an especially deep subject for a thread, but the first few people listing a weapon on the first page gave brief explanations for their choice, whereas "Knowledge." is something of a thread-stopper. This leaves aside the question of whether it would be possible to go somewhere without your knowledge/brain/etc.

Here

People have different approaches to answering a question that may or may not agree with your view or tellner's and that does not make them wrong. There were no guidelines stated in the original post and by title "I would never want to be without my...." gives little advice on direction.

But if I look at this from the POV that you are pushing or tellner than I was very wrong for saying "Brains" but it would have been ok to say my A10 Wart Hog or ICBM. That is a bit silly IMO but so be it. I was unaware that there were unstated guidelines that needed to be followed here.

Also if saying "Knowledge" or "brain" is a thread stopper it ain't much of a thread to begin with and it appears that even though "Knowledge" and "brain" where said.... the thread did not stop.

It has however degraded into an argument since then and this is more likely a thread stopper than the answers of Knowledge or brain.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As a physical weapon, in my day-to-day life, I prefer my Glock .45. The odds of what I will have to face favor the type of situation that could be survived by having that particular tool within access at most all times.

The thread is "I would never want to be without my...." Which to me, means what wouldn't you want to leave behind. There are no "safe places" in this world. Churches, schools, etc., are targets, and as dangerous as other "dangerous" places. Granted, there's the "don't go into that bar" argument, and that's wise, but that doesn't mean that there are "safe zones" which we can live in all the time.

The idea of a "base" or "sanctuary" is a false sense of security. Not to be paranoid, but to be aware. In my own home, my "castle" my place of refuge, is where I have access to the most weaponry. Because that's where I spent most of my time. It feels safe because, only because that is where I have the most defensive measures in place. If my own home isn't a place of safety, then where is?

So, I can keep a Glock with me at nearly all times, or within moment's access, and it is very effective at "diffusing" dangerous situations. ("Diffusing" from my perspective, LOL).

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Agreed. Having things "stashed" around your home is a good way to always have access to something no matter which room you may be in should someone break in.
I too prefer carrying but there are places that prohibit (clueless legislators) and so alternates must be considered.
"Mind" is something I've not lost; yet.:ultracool

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having things "stashed" around your home is a good way to always have access to something no matter which room you may be in should someone break in.

Yes, that's always on my mind. I'm rarely far from a (potential) edged weapon at home. It's not likely to happen, but also not difficult to plan for!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you were heading into a situation that you knew you could very easily end up needing a weapon, what one would you never want to be without and why.

Finish the sentence:

I would never want to be without my....

I would have to say a blade or a stick. Both can be easily adapted to a few other tools, so even if we didn't actually have a blade with us, picking up a pen for example, we can still stab. Same effect as a blade? No, but the idea is there. :)

This thread has moved on many pages, so while looking at a few posts, some caught my eye, particularly the ones that mentioned the effect on life if we choose to use a weapon. Like our empty hand work, we can adjust what we do. We can lock or we can break something. With a weapon, we don't always have to think of killing, although with some weapons, that may be the only option. So, while I have my blade, I may not have to go so far as to stab the person in the heart, but instead opt for a cut on the arm. If we're really as adept with our weapons as we should be, we should also be able to dictate how much injury we inflict.

People tend to be grossed out at the martial arts in general. The thought of hitting someone makes some cringe. I say go join a knitting class. The arts involve contact, the arts involve an aspect of violence. You need to understand that and you need to accept that. If you can't then get out because they're not for you. Yes, avoiding a fight should always be first and foremost, but if we can't run, if we can't talk our way out, then resorting to violence is the option thats left.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In any physical conflict, what I wouldn't want to be without would depend on the situation. In most cases, limiting myself to strictly weapon selection of those I'm familiar with and confident with, I'll take a cane/walking stick. I can use it with some confidence.

Regarding the thread as a whole, I suggest that some take the 'sticks' from their asses and cut out the shots & BS. You have a rules violation, report it. You have a problem with how staff handles it, you call me. If you have a problem with someone else's position you can either ignore it, ignore them, or blow up in public then wonder why a mod smacks you hard. Cut it out. I think everyone's too old for the 'time-out' stool, but sometimes I read stuff and wonder which kindergarten I wandered into. This is a good topic, stop crapping on it.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
In most cases, limiting myself to strictly weapon selection of those I'm familiar with and confident with, I'll take a cane/walking stick. I can use it with some confidence.
Yes, that familiarity increases with age. ;) But take heart, youngun', cause there are many such advantages to getting older, as you'll undoubtedly discover. :yoda: :bangahead:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looking through the choices others have given, is an interesting read.
Firearms I'm not familiar with, blades I'm not good with so taking either with me, I think wouldn't be of much use to me. A cane/stick is what I've trained heavily with, and can be improved from a branch, a broom handle, or even a tire iron. I often walk with a walking stick, so it's also the most likely to be on me weapon.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also think you have to take what you may be facing into account. The OP was kind of vauge as to the situation so we are all thinking of what sort of "bad situation" we may be facing. If the situation was having to go into a place where getting shot at is a possibility (and you had no choice but to go) then taking a stick would be a pretty poor choice IMO. If the situation was having to go to work in a violent high school than taking a military style rifle would be a silly answer too.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also think you have to take what you may be facing into account. The OP was kind of vauge as to the situation so we are all thinking of what sort of "bad situation" we may be facing. If the situation was having to go into a place where getting shot at is a possibility (and you had no choice but to go) then taking a stick would be a pretty poor choice IMO. If the situation was having to go to work in a violent high school than taking a military style rifle would be a silly answer too.
Very true. I've been around guns all my life, could easily settle on a carbine with personalized *fixtures* as my anti-zombie/anti-parachuting commie (do we even have those anymore? :D) weapon of choice. But given where I'm most likely to encounter trouble, guns are out of the question--for me (it seems the bad guys can have all they want :xtrmshock). Hence my original answer, based on my experience.

And I guess I didn't see the OP as vague, so much as open-ended. Not a bad thing, unless we start to deny others the right to their experiences and thoughts.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=427486. Please avoid personal confrontations with other participants. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

-Bob Levine
-MT Senior Moderator-

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahh, a Roosevelt fan.
Walk softly (that's my limited ninja training see?) and carry a big stick (and that's the FMA training. Has nothing to do with rumors of compensating, honest) ;)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In staying with the origional posters idea for the thread:

Personally I would like to have an assault rifle, followed by a shotgun with a bayonet, next down the line would be my Glock followed by a knife then a stick and eventually down to a pen or something similar. Only as a last resort would I want to rely on my empty hands. You see I would much rather engage with some type of tool. Of course having the right tool at your beck and call at the right moment in time is the trick.
icon6.gif

Actually I hope to never have to use a tool in the moment again.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions