I was awarded the Black Belt in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Same for hand to hand, I guess my experiences are different like Letch and Field Discipline. Gee in a bar a few weeks ago I had someone grap my chest telling me all about being a jiujitsu champ. I said Congrats, please let go of my shirt.

He didn't so I used a bar towel to wrap his hands and off balanced him followed by a side reap.

I love tough guys, there's always enough to go around. I look at them like crooks, "If you worked as hard at honestly doing what you needed to be successful then you wouldn't have to work as hard at being a dumbass."

I mean gee, it is all how people think of and will remember you. I also believe that your true friends don't need to be asked if they are a pal or not. Maybe I am a niave sap but it has gotten me by so far.

First post that's made me smile all day.

I really do need to move to Missouri or something.:)

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree. To quote Theodore Roosevelt "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!" To that I would like to add, EVER! If you hit them, make sure they're going down and staying there, because oherwise they might get pretty upset!

I love tough guys, there's always enough to go around. I look at them like crooks, "If you worked as hard at honestly doing what you needed to be successful then you wouldn't have to work as hard at being a dumbass."

:rofl:

I also believe that your true friends don't need to be asked if they are a pal or not. Maybe I am a niave sap but it has gotten me by so far

Thats not niave, thats a man of principles talking.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gee in a bar a few weeks ago I had someone grap my chest telling me all about being a jiujitsu champ. I said Congrats, please let go of my shirt.

He didn't so I used a bar towel to wrap his hands and off balanced him followed by a side reap.
Jeez, Matt, I sure hope hitting the deck didn't mess up his championship belt! :rofl:

:D

I mean gee, it is all how people think of and will remember you. I also believe that your true friends don't need to be asked if they are a pal or not. Maybe I am a niave sap but it has gotten me by so far.
Nah, just a guy who sees the best in things around him, I think. And we could use a few more of those. ;)

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree. To quote Theodore Roosevelt "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!" To that I would like to add, EVER! If you hit them, make sure they're going down and staying there, because oherwise they might get pretty upset!

:rofl:

Thats not niave, thats a man of principles talking.

Just to shoot one back at ya my Brit pal, I have read 2 books on Churchhill. "Troublesome Young Men" and the title of the other escapes me now. But that guy was an absolute genius. I loved reading both.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
He certainly was quite a man.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half."

- Sir Winston Churchill

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Men like Winston, F.D.R., The Highlanders and Barbarians of old were all just phenominal. William Wallace, Rob Roy. The only difference between a hero and a legend is: A Hero does what no one else wants to do selflessly at the time. They write books about Legends so they are never to be forgotten.

I mean for the love of god, the only difference in the insignia between the Brit Marines and their U.S. Counterparts is just one aspect: The Brit version is the Eastern Hemisphere........the U.S. version has the Western Hemisphere.

Although, during late teens and early 20's I did like to scrap. So my Mick and Mack pals would go to the Brit N.C.O. clubs, begin getting pissed and well what became a few too many Scott Ale's just turned into Brutal friendly scraps.

When it was done, we just ran up a bigger tab and got peroxide.

See, that is one thing that the "General Population." don't understand about the military forces. We may fight but we are brother's to the end.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many truths in that one post, Matt :tup:.

As one of the General Population I have been fortunate to have a number of military friends over my life. I've also known a couple of less savoury types for whom fighting was a job rather than a profession (as a civilian, finding an uzi on top of the towel basket is a bit of a surprise I can tell you). Additionally, I've moved on the fringes of circles not normally favoured by 'normal' folk - I was a biker and all of us who've been two-wheeled at some point in our lives know what that inevitably brings you into contact with.

Despite all that tho', I know that I will never have the same bond with my Army/Navy/RAF Mates that they have with their fellows. Also, I will never quite understand the use of brawling as 'entertainment', despite my love of the martial arts. Intellectually I can understand it and I suppose at its root it's nothing less than a physical extension of the verbal sparring all groups of friends and associates indulge in ... but ... I guess I've had enough pain in my life without borrowing some more :D.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many truths in that one post, Matt :tup:.

As one of the General Population I have been fortunate to have a number of military friends over my life. I've also known a couple of less savoury types for whom fighting was a job rather than a profession (as a civilian, finding an uzi on top of the towel basket is a bit of a surprise I can tell you). Additionally, I've moved on the fringes of circles not normally favoured by 'normal' folk - I was a biker and all of us who've been two-wheeled at some point in our lives know what that inevitably brings you into contact with.

Despite all that tho', I know that I will never have the same bond with my Army/Navy/RAF Mates that they have with their fellows. Also, I will never quite understand the use of brawling as 'entertainment', despite my love of the martial arts. Intellectually I can understand it and I suppose at its root it's nothing less than a physical extension of the verbal sparring all groups of friends and associates indulge in ... but ... I guess I've had enough pain in my life without borrowing some more :D.

Well, part of it, I'm sure, at least where special forces/infantry/anyone else who might have to risk it all with other team members in combat, is that simple additional bonding soldiers have always gone through: If I know you can face me, or if I know you will help me face this bar, I know you will help me face the enemy. That you will "go through the door" with me when it matters.

My own State Guard unit is far less rowdy than that, we kid, but don't actually *fight*( part of that is I'm sure due to the fact that most of us in the unit are considerably older than raw "enlistment" age( me being 30 I'm, I believe the 4th youngest in the unit with one a slightly younger and 2 of high school age). But I'll tell you, Our Sergeant Major may be in his late fifties and gray, but I still wouldn't mess with him on my *best* day (you don't just forget what you take away from 30 years in the Marines)

But even despite that, now having experienced civvie friends and military friends, I understand now what the ex-mil folks I met as a civvie were talking about with the difference between them, and how you trust, and remember military friends a lot easier than you trust most of your civvie friends.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the whole point is this: Even though I am from the Parish Morton of Nithsdale and Dumfresshire, the Highlands. My family were the builders of "The Presbyterian Unuversity" in the Highlands.

But I know one thing for absolute certainty that Field Discipline, Shurekin, Andy, Letch, Kudswarrior and I were to be going to the pub, perse.......then total strangers would bond as brothers and be the best of Mates, and hosts to each other.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the whole point is this: Even though I am from the Parish Morton of Nithsdale and Dumfresshire, the Highlands. My family were the builders of "The Presbyterian Unuversity" in the Highlands.

But I know one thing for absolute certainty that Field Discipline, Shurekin, Andy, Letch, Kudswarrior and I were to be going to the pub, perse.......then total strangers would bond as brothers and be the best of Mates, and hosts to each other.

Hooah.:drinky:

Latest Discussions