& I vs & me; a Pet Peeve...

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I had any more pet peeves I'd have to get a kennel license ...

(rimshot)

But here are the two that have been bugging the crap out of me lately:

Overuse and poor use of the word "unique";

and the bastardization of a phrase that alludes to an Aesop fable: "the lion's share."

Media dumbasses have used the latter incorrectly so long and so often that it is now accepted in AP style to mean "a very large majority of" when in fact, according to the fable, the "lion's share" was ALL of it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

(rimshot)

and the bastardization of a phrase that alludes to an Aesop fable: "the lion's share."

Media dumbasses have used the latter incorrectly so long and so often that it is now accepted in AP style to mean "a very large majority of" when in fact, according to the fable, the "lion's share" was ALL of it.
How do you catch a unique rabbit?
Unique up on him.

How do you catch a tame rabbit?
Tame way, unique up on him.

Sean:)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

(rimshot)

With the Fable aside, in real life, the lions don't get all of it; so, as far as accuracy goes, the fable is in the wrong.
Sean

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another one, and this is admittedly very petty, when I'm ordering coffee and the person says, "Room for cream?" I like room, because I'm clumsy, but I HATE milk. I know rationally that this is an innocent thing, but this irritates the crap out of me. Why not just ask if I'd like a little room? "Sure," I'd reply. But no... "Room... for CREAM???" NOOOOO! Yuck! :D

What annoys me is when I order a "black coffee" and they ask if I want room for cream. I dunno, is the cream black? Never mind, I still don't want want it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What annoys me is when I order a "black coffee" and they ask if I want room for cream. I dunno, is the cream black? Never mind, I still don't want want it.
That's awesome. Black coffee, but sure, room for cream just in case. :D

In Seattle, black implies no cream OR sugar. I was in Boston working for 3 months back in 2003, and I'll never forget the morning I was walking to work and decided to try out Dunkin' Donuts. They were everywhere and it's kind of an institution, so I thought I'd give it a go. After waiting in line, I get to the front and order a large coffee. The lady says, "Regulah?" I thought she meant regular or decaf, so I said yeah.

Squirt, squirt, squirt... three giant squirts of cream and then 3 heaping tablespoons of sugar later, I'm wondering what the hell just happened.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

In Seattle, black implies no cream OR sugar. I was in Boston working for 3 months back in 2003, and I'll never forget the morning I was walking to work and decided to try out Dunkin' Donuts. They were everywhere and it's kind of an institution, so I thought I'd give it a go. After waiting in line, I get to the front and order a large coffee. The lady says, "Regulah?" I thought she meant regular or decaf, so I said yeah.

Squirt, squirt, squirt... three giant squirts of cream and then 3 heaping tablespoons of sugar later, I'm wondering what the hell just happened.
You got creamed.:)
Sean

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wow, remind me never to order coffee at Dunkin' Donuts. I've always understood black to mean no cream or sugar too, but I think that, at least in the Starbucks vernacular, black == brewed and the actual color of it is still up for negotiation.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, I seldom drink coffee outside home. It's always a crapshoot.
Not to mention I can't afford Starbucks ;)

But the cream& sugar in the 'regular', that made me chuckle! But I also laugh at the fancy creamer with 'Latte' flavor. I mean, it's MILK, or in that case milk and sugar...but in fairness, I think it's non dairy creamer...and I had a coupon for it...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Can I just ask, by cream, do you actually mean cream? Or do you mean milk?
At the Dunkin' Donuts? I don't know. The people who use cream around me typically really use half n half, technically.

Wow, remind me never to order coffee at Dunkin' Donuts. I've always understood black to mean no cream or sugar too, but I think that, at least in the Starbucks vernacular, black == brewed and the actual color of it is still up for negotiation.
Starbucks in Seattle has always brewed their coffee too strong for me, and it always tastes burnt. I do, however, like the tall Americano, black. With room, but not for cream. :D

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the Dunkin' Donuts? I don't know. The people who use cream around me typically really use half n half, technically.

Starbucks in Seattle has always brewed their coffee too strong for me, and it always tastes burnt. I do, however, like the tall Americano, black. With room, but not for cream. :D

I like my coffee like I like my women, strong and full off booze.:ultracool
Sean

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So glad you didn't go with "ground up and in the freezer".

I used to love her,but I had to kill her
I had to put her
Six feet under
And I can still hear her complain

I used to love her,but i had to kill her
I used to leve her,but I had to kill her
I knew I miss her
So I had to keep her
She´s buried right in my back yard

She bitched so much
She drove me nuts
And now I´m happier this way

I had to put her
Six feet under
And I can still hear her complain

Emma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I mean in general. It's a bit confusing for me, I'm an Aussie, and we don't put cream in our coffee, only milk. A bit like putting 'gas' in your car. Do you mean petrol, or do you mean LPG? I'm confuzzled.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mean in general. It's a bit confusing for me, I'm an Aussie, and we don't put cream in our coffee, only milk. A bit like putting 'gas' in your car. Do you mean petrol, or do you mean LPG? I'm confuzzled.

LOL, it's like half&half, if you read the ingredients...

Well, as a whole, I think most people use creamer, which is neither.
I am (sometimes) allergic to dairy so I use that stuff, and being German...but hey, you put in what you like. My mom puts in milk, whole or fat free, depending on what's on hand, she uses that ultra preserved stuff you can keep in in a shelf, unrefrigerated for years...

My Stepmom uses cream. (with sugar when she has a savory sandwich, but the Espresso completely without...blech)

Emma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
LOL, it's like half&half, if you read the ingredients...

Well, as a whole, I think most people use creamer, which is neither.
I am (sometimes) allergic to dairy so I use that stuff, and being German...but hey, you put in what you like. My mom puts in milk, whole or fat free, depending on what's on hand, she uses that ultra preserved stuff you can keep in in a shelf, unrefrigerated for years...

My Stepmom uses cream. (with sugar when she has a savory sandwich, but the Espresso completely without...blech)
Now I'm even more confused! So they put in half milk and half cream? Over here it's either full fat or skim milk, or soy milk.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now I'm even more confused! So they put in half milk and half cream? Over here it's either full fat or skim milk, or soy milk.

Nobody really knows or cares what it is. We're American, it kinda looks like a food item, it goes in the belly.