Helping out the Homeless

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Kinda torn on this situation although I no longer give money out except in very rare circumstances. I'm never sure if someone is a pro at panhandling, or someone on drugs or crazy, or someone who is just too lazy to work a real job. Lots of variety out there I'm guessing. Lots of panhandlers in the Denver area.

-My experiences from living in Mexico for 3 months shaped my current m.o. on this. Little kids coming up to the 'rich' Americans, looking for enough pesos to bring home so papa doesn't beat them. Pretty sick way to abuse your kids. Of course, these kids don't understand that the average American tourist isn't rich back home, but to them...

-My girlfriend's brother made a comment one time about panhandlers with signs, basically, if you can make a sign, you can work a job. And I've seen some elaborate signs around town. When I lived in Rochester, there was this woman named Linda who would wonder around town, saying "Help out my black @$$?" Nice woman, most of the time but she played the part of someone who needed help, and she really didn't.

-Guess you have to go with your gut on this one. If its right for you to give, do so, but if you don't want to, that shouldn't paint you as being mean and cold. And you shouldn't feel guilty; its a rough world.

Andrew

Latest Discussions