Pet peeve......

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If I'm allowed,that is......
I have been to several other MA forums and kinda stopped here because there seems to be a slightly smarter crowd here....more diverse anyway.
Now my "peeve".........
I have noticed that certain people use this forum as a political soap-box ONLY and contribute nothing to the MA side of it.
I have given opinions on the political side...and as many other sides as I can to stay in the mix as much as possible.
I believe if you are going to stick one subject thats NOT MA related(political in particular)........
then go to a political site where you can argue all the rhetoric drivel you want!
Debates are fine,personal opinions are encouraged....but I am sick of people trying to "shout" themselves into being right,no matter how "civil" it is disguised.
God bless the creators of this site for giving us a free chance to voice our opinion on as many subjects as possible,,,,,but don't abuse it!
I may not be a "paid" supporting member(for reasons that is nobodies buisiness) But I think as much as I try to offer to this site,I have a right to complain about one-sided,narrow minded.........friends
icon7.gif
.......who use the site for things OTHER than MA, only.

Now....for those who disagree......
Let me have it baby! abuuuuuse me all you wish
icon10.gif

If I am out of line,I apologise sincerely.
It's my first peeve......................
icon11.gif

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guilty.

I post an aweful lot in 'The Study' relating to things political.

As a 2nd Degree Brown Belt, with 4 years of study, I am fairly certain there are those here with a far more significant amount of knowledge concerning Martial Arts than I have to offer. When questions are posed about American Kenpo, I try to let those with greater experience than me to offer their, persumably, more insightful knowledge to the questioner.

Now, sometimes I do pose a question. Sometimes, I describe a Martial Arts event (Huk Planas seminar - 2003 Internationals). Sometimes, I even offer my opinion about an early level technique, form or set. However, (as I am no longer a Green Belt), I understand my knowledge in Kenpo is limited. I prefer to read GoldenDragon 7's post, to attempt to gain insight for my own training.

That being said ... in 'The Study', there are no belts. There is no level of grading. There is no one whose opinion comes from greater time in the art or greater experience.

Because that is where I post most often, it does not mean I do not gain benefit, and offer it when I can, to the other areas of Martial talk.

How many members of Martial Talk have not contributed to even one, single thread? How do you suggest we deal with those folks?

Thanks for contributing. Mike

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
gosh...

I love that I can pass by the topics that hold no interest for me or that I doubt I can really contribute to.

There are TONS of threads I've never read nor posted to.

To tell you the truth - I was lied to by two people about a great Kenpoist - and thinking they had no reason to lie to me, I passed their information along as reasonably factual. Boy did I get my hand slapped for that one (and probably burnt a bridge, unfortunately)! So I stapled my mouth shut when it comes to that person and that style.

I don't know if the people who contribute to the political debates here on MT are not martial artists or not - I think the moderators do an excellent job of weeding out the flotsom and jetsom. So, no offense intended, I don't make it my business to police the threads of MT except to report an inappropriate post or two.

Peace

OP
Bammx2

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Guilty.

How many members of Martial Talk have not contributed to even one, single thread? How do you suggest we deal with those folks?

Thanks for contributing. Mike
Ok....
Got me on that one!

I have a habit of letting little things get under my skin and I know I shouldn't.
But in my defense,I search out a lot of different posts to see what I can learn about these different areas and sometimes come across the same people having the same discussions all the time and I can't stop myself from reading them.....help me before I read again!
icon10.gif

And certain subjects inflame certain people and they can't let things pass.
I for one, am guilty of that...thats why I have refrained from commenting on certain subjects.
I don't want to get drawn into...inflamation
icon12.gif

Thank you very much for your reply!

...and yours too shesulsa
icon7.gif

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive found that checking the "find all posts" of a person is a good indicator of just what they get out of and contribute to this forum. If you have to go through 7-8 pages to find a MA related thread, maybe a political forum would be more productive.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah ... I'm guilty by that measure too.

I'll go to the corner now ...

Time Out for Mike

p.s. Of course ... posting to this thread doesn't help me by that measure either, does it ....

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the nice things about MT (IMO) is that we have both the close nit community, and the wide range of experiences and ideals. We are primarily a martial arts forum, however we do have some areas set aside for the 'community' stuff.

I love the size and activity in the Kenpo and FMA areas. I wish the rest of our art areas were as busy. Next to those 2 though, the Locker Room and the Study are probably the 2 major discussion areas. 1 for relaxing and another for debate.

I think it's a good mix. The most important part is that the site is used. Next is that it is used primarily for martial arts related discussion and fellowship. An active Study, etc is good, IMO as it give folks a chance to interact more outside the scope of the arts.

MartialTalk is many things:
- A Discussion Forum
- A Research Source
- A Reference Guide
- A Portal to the Arts
- A Living Archive of the martial arts over the last 3 years.
- It is a place for people to connect. We've had relationships form, training partners meet, organizations expand, and so much more.

My biggest pet peeve is we got so many sci-fi and anime geeks here and I can't get them to join my other board and make it jump like this one does. I even put in a functional hot tub with shower girls and muscle dudes and it just sits there, one lone rubber ducky alone in the night. :)

Seriously, MT is alot of things. It's a place for martial art enthusists to relax with others who share their interests, and much much more.

The first 3 years have been a blast. I'm looking forward to the next 3 :)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hell, theres no rule here saying you "have to" stick to MA threads is there? Spent quite a bit of time in the Study myself. Do what you like. Just making an observation.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith, thanks again for making such a diverse forum available to everyone, for choosing excellent and fair moderators, for the quality of your privacy policy...for all of it.

This, next to the dojang and with my family is my fave place to hang.

:asian:

Latest Discussions