& I vs & me; a Pet Peeve...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It drives me up a wall when people use 'soandso and I' when the sentence would read 'me' if soandso wasn't coming along...

'You are going to meet Mom and I' when you would say 'You are going to meet me' I am assuming on the corner of Walk and Don't Walk....

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It drives me up a wall when people use 'soandso and I' when the sentence would read 'me' if soandso wasn't coming along...

'You are going to meet Mom and I' when you would say 'You are going to meet me' I am assuming on the corner of Walk and Don't Walk....

I admit I have difficulty with this one at times. I try to apply the test you give above; I test the sentence to see how it would sound if I were only applying it to myself.

For example, "Bob and I went to the store" is correct because "I went to the store" is correct. "Me and Bob went to the store" is incorrect because "Me went to the store" is incorrect. At least, that's what I believe is a correct test.

But there are times when it just seems wrong to use 'me' in place of 'I' or vice-versa. I will work on it more diligently.

Grammer Girl is one of my favorite resources for this type of thing.

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/between-you-and-me.aspx

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Using the term "I" is kinds stupid, most of the time. Even as a child I remember teachers trying to correct me into saying I, but I was vindicated years later when, I was told "I" is way over used and the correct way to refer to yourself is to say "My Self"... in some cases.
Sean

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I feel your pain and apply the same test. I think most folks go with what "sounds right."

My bitter pet peeve is the ongoing mixup between "then" and "than."

Or the word "irregardless," though this has now become an acceptable variation of the more proper "regardless."

I also twinge when my children "unthaw" things while they are sending "texteses" on their cell phones. Moments like that find me looking at them querulously and wondering aloud whose children they are and/or about the education system; I usually blame the latter.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also twinge when my children "unthaw" things while they are sending "texteses" on their cell phones. Moments like that find me looking at them querulously and wondering aloud whose children they are and/or about the education system; I usually blame the latter.

Unthaw!!! Way back in the day I worked as a stock clerk at a Ma & Pa store. The managing cashier asked me to take something out of the freezer to unthaw. I asked her which way she wanted it. Am I to take it out of the freezer to thaw, or to unthaw it by putting it in the freezer? Maybe I needed to thaw it before it was to be unthawed?

I got the "YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!" look and then I went and took it out of the freezer.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
My pet peeve is "myself".

"If you have any questions, please feel free to contact so-and-so or myself."

No, I can't contact yourself.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My pet peeve is "myself".

"If you have any questions, please feel free to contact so-and-so or myself."

No, I can't contact yourself.
It makes sense when you say fell free to contact my wife, my daughter, my son, or myself. You start with the possesive, stay with it.
Sean

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK fine but use it in that case anyway. LOL
Sean

Maybe not the right term, I dunno, but the point being it's self-referential. You can't do something to himself, he can't do something to yourself. You can do whatever you want to yourself.

I usually see this at work, and people are using it as in "Bob and myself". So whether the example you gave works or not, they're still doing it wrong.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So to sum up

Me should be saying to yourself to contact myself but than irregardless it sounds right but than I and you should continue to discuss this so we ain't gotta unthaw it later but then frankly me could care less

Now if youself will excuse I me must now mambo dogface to the banana patch :uhyeah:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
So to sum up

Me should be saying to yourself to contact myself but than irregardless it sounds right but than I and you should continue to discuss this so we ain't gotta unthaw it later but then frankly me could care less

Now if yous will excuse I me must now mambo dogface to the banana patch :uhyeah:

Hey, buddy! Watch your language, this is a family site.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So to sum up

Now if youself will excuse I me must now mambo dogface to the banana patch :uhyeah:
Don't Bannanas come in bunches?
Sean

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like a kid's lame attempt at dirty talk! LOL

Latest Discussions