I think this here is way better than wing chun

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Really? Says who? You need a lot of discipline and respect in an MMA gym I can tell you, self discipline, always the best kind, saying yes sir no sir isn't discipline it's going through the motions. Do you imagine that people who do MMA can't work out for themselves that techniques can very easily be made lethal? Do you think that because they fight with rules that if they are attacked they still abide by those rules? They don't, they know very well which techniques are 'illegal' and can very easily do them as well as the 'legal' ones if they have to. Underestimate MMAers at your peril.
The focus in MMA is training, training, and more training, the fight is the fun part, the least of it all. A bout will have three-five rounds of three to five minutes, that's nothing, it's the bit you get to enjoy. Training is everything.
Is anyone actually bothering to read my posts or are they only seeing a small part for the hundredth time yes you CAN use it to defend yourself and they CAN use the techniques to fight on the street but that's not the main FOCUS If you ask an mma coach what do I do if a drunk comes at me with a broken bottle he won't give you that answer because that's not he's training you to deal with. I'm not underestimating anyone simply saying mma isnt as focused on self defence as other styles.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Butt hurt, oh dear, are you reading what people are saying at all? You are burbling about something you know little about then complaining because you are being corrected. Put your dummy back in your mouth, it gets dirty when you spit it out.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Butt hurt, oh dear, are you reading what people are saying at all? You are burbling about something you know little about then complaining because you are being corrected. Put your dummy back in your mouth, it gets dirty when you spit it out.
I know plenty about it thanks and when I say something and everyone says oh actually yes you can use it to defend yourself. I never said in any post that you can't defend yourself with it never once did I say that I even made the point of saying plenty of times that you CAN use it but it's not a style that will specifically teach you how to fight 3 armed attackers can you use it to beat 3 armed attackers sure but that's not what the coach Is teaching your for. Same as kicboxing I know it's not teaching street fighting self defence but I know I can handle myself if I need to

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know plenty about it thanks and when I say something and everyone says oh actually yes you can use it to defend yourself. I never said in any post that you can't defend yourself with it never once did I say that I even made the point of saying plenty of times that you CAN use it but it's not a style that will specifically teach you how to fight 3 armed attackers can you use it to beat 3 armed attackers sure but that's not what the coach Is teaching your for. Same as kicboxing I know it's not teaching street fighting self defence but I know I can handle myself if I need to

then why are you making silly statements like MMA not teaching 'discipline and respect'? How do you know that when the MMA coaches are teaching techniques they don't also teach the self defence variation at the same time because a good many do. Our instructor does, he will teach a techniques then show how it can be used for self defence out of competition. A lot of instructors do that.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
then why are you making silly statements like MMA not teaching 'discipline and respect'? How do you know that when the MMA coaches are teaching techniques they don't also teach the self defence variation at the same time because a good many do. Our instructor does, he will teach a techniques then show how it can be used for self defence out of competition. A lot of instructors do that.
Oh for god sake it's actually hilarious because I actually wrote before anyone starts on me saying it does teach it because I knew if you saw it you'd start moaning and I was obviously right

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No I just think made up unlikely scenarios are a pretty poor way to justify a method.

We can all make up scenarios to justify things. That is called rationalizing.

Swearing doesn't cripple people. Crippling people does.
listen, you asked a smart assed question ( that had nothing to do with the actual OP or understanding my opinion about using foul language where it shouldn't be) and i answered it by giving you a "made up NOT SO UNLIKELY scenario" and who said anything about a "method" i certainly didn't and i don't see it anywhere in the OP either so maybe you should explain what it is your talking about or stay on subject. it just seems to me like your looking for an argument. see that is another one of my opinions.

P.S. sorry for correcting your grammar errors, spell check you know..;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh for god sake it's actually hilarious because I actually wrote before anyone starts on me saying it does teach it because I knew if you saw it you'd start moaning and I was obviously right

whatever.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
whatever.
Please can you point out where I said it doesn't teach respect here's my post

"I saw but that's not what I was commenting on but yeah I agree that isn't good but in my opinion children shouldn't be training mma simply becauseit's not a self defence style and it doesn't have as much focus on respect and discipline as much as traditional martial arts. Before anyone starts on me I'mnot saying mma is for thugs but in TMA its yes sir, no sir, yes sensai no sensai oss and bowing to each other where mma is more focused on justthe fighting aspect"

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
listen, you asked a smart assed question ( that had nothing to do with the actual OP or understanding my opinion about using foul language where it shouldn't be) and i answered it by giving you a "made up NOT SO UNLIKELY scenario" and who said anything about a "method" i certainly didn't and i don't see it anywhere in the OP either so maybe you should explain what it is your talking about or stay on subject. it just seems to me like your looking for an argument. see that is another one of my opinions.

P.S. sorry for correcting your grammar errors, spell check you know..;)

So you are one of those grammar people. That explains your priorities.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay I think it's just best everyone ignores this guys threads from now on. There's as much chance of the op starting to train as there is me becoming the president. He won't listen to a word any of us say and is obviously happy thinking he's a grandmaster because he watches YouTube videos no point people getting in arguments because of someone's who either lazy, a troll or both

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Many self defence classes don't teach you how to de-escalate or prevent a fight either. In fact most focus on technique. Fight 'prevention' isn't actually a subject studied by many Sd places.
An MMA fight isn't actually a fight as such, it's a competition, an agreed bout with rules between consenting adults. It doesn't bear any resemblance to a fight where self defence would be needed, the players know this but they also know that outside that construct they can also defence themselves because it doesn't take a lot of imagination to turn what they do into the self defence needed if attacked.

And the ones that do generally are not psychologists or hostage negotiators or anyone with any real grounding in the field of deescalation. Or fight prevention.

So you are still getting about the same level of training in that area as you would from a sport anyway.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay I think it's just best everyone ignores this guys threads from now on. There's as much chance of the op starting to train as there is me becoming the president. He won't listen to a word any of us say and is obviously happy thinking he's a grandmaster because he watches YouTube videos no point people getting in arguments because of someone's who either lazy, a troll or both

We all make our own choice in that matter. We have always had that choice.

That is why am suprised people are so upset.

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So you are one of those grammar people. That explains your priorities.
what do you know of me personally to make such a statement? Because i take pride in doing things proper I'm some kind of bad person? i fixed the grammar errors, that's all, i just happened to notice some were yours and to make a seemingly bad situation a bit better by adding some humor as you can see by the smiley i added, but i guess i was correct that your just looking for an argument. I hope in some way this helped you vent and that you have a better latter 1/2 of the day because of it.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's my point. An mma gym, boxing gym, any fighting art should over lap into self defense. For example my American kenpo dojo focused more on preparing us for karate competitions and that showed alot when I went into Shou shu. I did things like back away from a punch to throw a kick for example. I did things like eating a weak hook in order to return with my own strikes.

That is all fine and dandy in competition where the worst thing that can happen is well, you lose the competition,but in the real world none of that would be a good idea.

Still though that kind of training was enough to get me by, but it definitely wasn't the most ideal stuff.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Didnt say that I said it's focus isn't self defence which it isn't. an mma coach isn't coaching you about how to fight a drunk in a bar he's coaching you on how to win a mma fight yes the skills you learn will help you in self defence but it's not the focus
Nobody should need coaching on how to fight a drunk in a bar. After all, it's a drunk person. Easy peasy.

Please can you point out where I said it doesn't teach respect here's my post

"I saw but that's not what I was commenting on but yeah I agree that isn't good but in my opinion children shouldn't be training mma simply becauseit's not a self defence style and it doesn't have as much focus on respect and discipline as much as traditional martial arts. Before anyone starts on me I'mnot saying mma is for thugs but in TMA its yes sir, no sir, yes sensai no sensai oss and bowing to each other where mma is more focused on justthe fighting aspect"
Sorry, but that's incorrect. I have been involved in classical Japanese martial arts for well over 20 years now. Nobody has ever insisted that I say yes sir or no sir. I tell my students to knock off the sensei stuff. Oss has got to be the most overused and ridiculous thing to come out of most karate people's mouths, and I refuse to let it be used in my dojo, and bowing to each other is simply Japanese societal mores. It all depends on the school, not the art.

That's my point. An mma gym, boxing gym, any fighting art should over lap into self defense. For example my American kenpo dojo focused more on preparing us for karate competitions and that showed alot when I went into Shou shu. I did things like back away from a punch to throw a kick for example. I did things like eating a weak hook in order to return with my own strikes.

That is all fine and dandy in competition where the worst thing that can happen is well, you lose the competition,but in the real world none of that would be a good idea.

Still though that kind of training was enough to get me by, but it definitely wasn't the most ideal stuff.
But most of them don't. The majority of self defense is more about situational awareness, de-escalation techniques, and having enough self confidence to laugh off insults rather than fighting. The vast majority of actual fights that anyone is likely to engage in will not be with a trained individual, therefore just about any sort of fight training will give a person a large advantage.

I do agree with you though that all gyms should have some cross-over into non-refereed scenarios.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nobody should need coaching on how to fight a drunk in a bar. After all, it's a drunk person. Easy peasy.

Sorry, but that's incorrect. I have been involved in classical Japanese martial arts for well over 20 years now. Nobody has ever insisted that I say yes sir or no sir. I tell my students to knock off the sensei stuff. Oss has got to be the most overused and ridiculous thing to come out of most karate people's mouths, and I refuse to let it be used in my dojo, and bowing to each other is simply Japanese societal mores. It all depends on the school, not the art.

But most of them don't. The majority of self defense is more about situational awareness, de-escalation techniques, and having enough self confidence to laugh off insults rather than fighting. The vast majority of actual fights that anyone is likely to engage in will not be with a trained individual, therefore just about any sort of fight training will give a person a large advantage.

I do agree with you though that all gyms should have some cross-over into non-refereed scenarios.
Not at all drunks can be very violent and won't always feel the pain as much as when they're sober because the booze numbs their senses

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not at all drunks can be very violent and won't always feel the pain as much as when they're sober because the booze numbs their senses
While that's certainly true, it also greatly affects coordination. If a person is so drunk that they're going to attack you in a bar, then it has been my experience that they have bad cognitive skills and poor coordination by that point, and they are easily defeated using the most rudimentary of techniques. You were talking about self defense fighting, not door guard or LEO.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
what do you know of me personally to make such a statement? Because i take pride in doing things properly I'm some kind of bad person? i fixed the grammar errors, that's all, i just happened to notice some were yours and to make a seemingly bad situation a bit better by adding some humor as you can see by the smiley i added, but i guess i was correct that your just looking for an argument. I hope in some way this helped you vent and that you have a better latter 1/2 of the day because of it.

Lol. No. You take pride in telling people they have failed in your eyes.

But nice try though.

Passive aggressive? Not sure.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You only need a small percentage of roided up kill monsters who are out to bash dudes. To create a significant threat to every body else.

So the likeyhood of coming across a trained bad guy is a bit higher than the numbers may suggest.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

You only need a small percentage of roided up kill monsters who are out to bash dudes. To create a significant threat to every body else.

So the likeyhood of coming across a trained bad guy is a bit higher than the numbers may suggest.

I don't agree with this entirely becuase there are fighters out there in the world who go through some heavy **** in life. They could be going through a very rough patch and be very irritable and quick to anger which can lead to a fight over the dumbest thing.

Martial artists are not perfect people and are capable of being in the wrong when they fight. It sucks but it happens .