Which martial arts besides WC teach protecting centerline, sensitivity, balance, footwork?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not leaning towards WC anymore. There are simply too many things which are starting to really get on my nerves, like the high membership fees, the rip off tactics which many schools use and then also this whole "this teacher sucks he's from a lineage which sucks only my teacher doesn't suck".

I mean if the effectivity of WC heavily depends on getting a certain technique 10000% right cause unless it doesn't work and you get beaten up then it makes no sense at all.

I even heard a supposed WC expert on youtube saying that if you get beaten up then this means your wing chun sucks but wing chun itself is perfect. Yeah right....

This means if you get beaten up you simply need to train more years and then maybe one day you'll be able to actually defend yourself with it.

Anyway,
what I liked about wing chun and what also seems useful to me is stuff like that:

-Protecting centerline
-The whole sensitivity stuff (I heard even football players do such drills)
-the balance stuff (like how to distribute your weight)
-footwork (like when you're being attacked from the front that you deflect the attack and then step to the
side and use the outer gate to destroy the enemy, this stuff looks really cool! i'd really like to have this
ability)

Do other arts also teach these things or is this all exclusively in wing chun?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Boxing.

Look up some jack slack video's on boxing theory and application.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have. What was supposed to happen?

I presume it was supposed to hit one of the vital points in the center of the body, stopping that fool in his tracks and making him hesitant to try and close on you again. If he were to do so, you would simply attack the centerline once again, multiplying the damage and eventually giving yourself the opportunity to close in and deliver a barrage of strikes.

We know that if your hands/arms aren't in front of your centerline, it is utterly defenceless and no amount of skill and training (w/o respect to centerline theory) can stop a committed attack to that area.

We may have delusions of not letting you close in, and/or a quick sidestep (or ducking our heads to the side) followed by a lazy jab to the face, but the reality is that the face, being a part of the centerline, is probably a difficult target to reach because in Shoushu, you don't leave the centerline exposed.

A centerline attack is radically different to a straight punch. We would be utterly unprepared for it and unable to respond. We would then probably join Wing Chun gyms and become enlightened fighters.

It may then be argued that the lazy jab was a centerline attack, and not at all a random strike, without really caring if it hits the face/gloves/shoulder so long as it lands. This doesn't fly... We don't get to call it a centerline attack unless it was thrown as a result of centerline theory.

...jokes aside, the centerline isn't exposed. It's difficult to get to it in the first place - We're taught to use our distance and would absolutely love for you to close in and attack the centerline. If you were to close in, it can be handled by circling out, clinching, or ignore damage to hit you in the face. In other words, what's meant to happen is a fight. :)

I dunno if that's what dropbear was talking about, though.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I presume it was supposed to hit one of the vital points in the center of the body, stopping that fool in his tracks and making him hesitant to try and close on you again. If he were to do so, you would simply attack the centerline once again, multiplying the damage and eventually giving yourself the opportunity to close in and deliver a barrage of strikes.

We know that if your hands/arms aren't in front of your centerline, it is utterly defenceless and no amount of skill and training (w/o respect to centerline theory) can stop a committed attack to that area.

We may have delusions of not letting you close in, and/or a quick sidestep (or ducking our heads to the side) followed by a lazy jab to the face, but the reality is that the face, being a part of the centerline, is probably a difficult target to reach because in Shoushu, you don't leave the centerline exposed.

A centerline attack is radically different to a straight punch. We would be utterly unprepared for it and unable to respond. We would then probably join Wing Chun gyms and become enlightened fighters.

It may then be argued that the lazy jab was a centerline attack, and not at all a random strike, without really caring if it hits the face/gloves/shoulder so long as it lands. This doesn't fly... We don't get to call it a centerline attack unless it was thrown as a result of centerline theory.

...jokes aside, the centerline isn't exposed. It's difficult to get to it in the first place - We're taught to use our distance and would absolutely love for you to close in and attack the centerline. If you were to close in, it can be handled by circling out, clinching, or ignore damage to hit you in the face. In other words, what's meant to happen is a fight. :)

So what happens is the same thing that happens when you spar against anyone? They fight back. The reason I stated what I did was because boxings stance you have your stomach and groin exposed, which are part of the center line.

If the stance were more sideways facing you have only your face and ribs (ribs aren't really centerline but still something you want to protect.) But it isn't. It's just not my cup of tea.

I got respect for boxers though, they are more brave than I am to fight in that kind of stance.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Right off the bat, you think center line is about targets, any basketball player and his grandma knows it is about how you throw the ball.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Click on 'new posts' this morning, first five are from OP still asking people to teach him stuff he ought to be learning from an instructor in person. Pretty cheap really trying to get online learning for free and it's taking advantage of people who are kind enough to give their time writing answers to questions that would better be asked in person in training. Well either that or the OP is trolling big style.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Click on 'new posts' this morning, first five are from OP still asking people to teach him stuff he ought to be learning from an instructor in person. Pretty cheap really trying to get online learning for free and it's taking advantage of people who are kind enough to give their time writing answers to questions that would better be asked in person in training. Well either that or the OP is trolling big style.

He is honestly frustrating me more than a person on the internet should be frustrating me. For the past couple of months he as been asking the same questions over and over again. Then has the audacity to deem some gyms and dojo's crap because in his opinion they charge too much, he never actually went there in person and tried it for himself which you know, would make sense.

Then says Judo is bad for self defense when he has zero experience with Judo :D.

Like really? I can understand this type of ignorance from someone who is new here but he isn't new here, he has been here long enough to know better yet he doesn't. I am thinking of just ignoring his posts from here on out.

Unless of course the post is something like "Hey I am training in this now."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is honestly frustrating me more than a person on the internet should be frustrating me. For the past couple of months he as been asking the same questions over and over again. Then has the audacity to deem some gyms and dojo's crap because in his opinion they charge too much, he never actually went there in person and tried it for himself which you know, would make sense.

Then says Judo is bad for self defense when he has zero experience with Judo :D.

Like really? I can understand this type of ignorance from someone who is new here but he isn't new here, he has been here long enough to know better yet he doesn't. I am thinking of just ignoring his posts from here on out.

Unless of course the post is something like "Hey I am training in this now."

I'm just grumpy having come out of hospital after an emergency op, had an abscess on my jaw they had to cut open to drain and am now zonked with painkillers and penicillin. I was looking for something other than inane questions from here ( no not a good argument lol a debate maybe) Lovely treatment from hospital though, never been let down by the NHS yet. I just can't stand more inanities and excuses from the OP, can't ignore as I said, he's all over the place at the moment, serial posting.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
So what happens is the same thing that happens when you spar against anyone? They fight back. The reason I stated what I did was because boxings stance you have your stomach and groin exposed, which are part of the center line.

If the stance were more sideways facing you have only your face and ribs (ribs aren't really centerline but still something you want to protect.) But it isn't. It's just not my cup of tea.

I got respect for boxers though, they are more brave than I am to fight in that kind of stance.

I think you missed the point - The stomach and groin ARE exposed. Now, good luck getting to them :)
If you do get to them, if your strike isn't good enough to put me down, you've brought yourself into my range.

As for the stance, a proper boxing stance is at an angle.
-> Stand with your feet a bit more than shoulder width apart
-> The right leg goes back to a comfortable distance
-> Turn 2/3 or 3/4 to your right, and turn your right leg towards your left leg a little bit
-> Bend your legs a bit and lift your heels slightly off the ground
-> 60/40 weight distribution (60% on the back foot, 40% on the front foot)
-> Hands up, elbows close to the body, chin down, and left shoulder is a bit forward

The stomach and groin are off-center :)
EDIT: But, as it's wisely pointed out below, you can stand and strike however you want. *shrugs*

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

A lot of the chun theories are part of boxing. TherThere are boxing ideas that are not chun.

This is because in boxing you can use any theory you want so long as you hit with your glove.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While boxers have a center line, they do not use center line to fight. The rules of boxing are such that you don't have to worry about. If you throw a lot of hooks, or even one hook, for that matter, you are not using center line. Mohamad Ali, would stand far enough away to us center line, on his back knuckles; so, they would land with the front of the glove, but that is not the norm.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm just grumpy having come out of hospital after an emergency op, had an abscess on my jaw they had to cut open to drain and am now zonked with painkillers and penicillin. I was looking for something other than inane questions from here ( no not a good argument lol a debate maybe) Lovely treatment from hospital though, never been let down by the NHS yet. I just can't stand more inanities and excuses from the OP, can't ignore as I said, he's all over the place at the moment, serial posting.

Oh no that's not fun! Are you ok now?

I think you missed the point - The stomach and groin ARE exposed. Now, good luck getting to them :)
If you do get to them, if your strike isn't good enough to put me down, you've brought yourself into my range.

As for the stance, a proper boxing stance is at an angle.
-> Stand with your feet a bit more than shoulder width apart
-> The right leg goes back to a comfortable distance
-> Turn 2/3 or 3/4 to your right, and turn your right leg towards your left leg a little bit
-> Bend your legs a bit and lift your heels slightly off the ground
-> 60/40 weight distribution (60% on the back foot, 40% on the front foot)
-> Hands up, elbows close to the body, chin down, and left shoulder is a bit forward

The stomach and groin are off-center :)
EDIT: But, as it's wisely pointed out below, you can stand and strike however you want. *shrugs*

That's great that boxing protects what their stance exposes, my statement is still true though that the boxing stance does expose your centerline. It's not the only stance that does this but it does. In my opinion I'd rather make it easier on myself by keeping my center line away from my opponent, then exposing it and having to worry about defending it.

Latest Discussions