Which martial arts besides WC teach protecting centerline, sensitivity, balance, footwork?

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
center2.gif
latest

neutral-axis-boxing.jpg

If we look at pictures of WC and JKD stances, couldn't the same be said for them?
-> In the 1st picture, the face and groin are open. (...and gut?)
-> In the 2nd picture, the face and liver are open.
-> In the 3rd picture, the face and chest are open.

I am at fault for saying the centerline isn't exposed in post #8, though. I meant to say that it isn't unprotected, which is a bit different :) I apologize for any misunderstanding.

My central point is that i doubt you could come in and land a centerline strike w/o getting hit in the face... I imagine this is where trapping would come in, or a deflection at least.

On an related subject, in the video you have on Members In Motion your face is wide open. The face is an important part of the centerline :)

(elbows in, not just horizontally. keep them closer to your body. you can move your arms forward a bit if you have to.)

You guys are completely misinterpreting centerline theory.

It has nothing to do with what targets (groin, stomach, face, whatever) run down the center of your body. The centerline is the direct line between your core and your opponent's core, regardless of angle or facing. If I am on your flank, the temple, jaw, shoulder, ribs, kidney, etc. are on the centerline. It's all relative.

If you want an understanding of the centerline and how its used, you might do well to look at fencing -- in particular Historical Rapier, though the theory exists in all forms of fencing from the middle-ages right on to modern sport fencing. It's basically just Wing Chun with swords.

Centerline theory is present in many arts, and you can use it even in arts where it's not typically taught explicitly. It's certainly relative to arts such as boxing, for instance.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with what targets (groin, stomach, face, whatever) run down the center of your body. The centerline is the direct line between your core and your opponent's core, regardless of angle or facing. If I am on your flank, the temple, jaw, shoulder, ribs, kidney, etc. are on the centerline. It's all relative.
Well, I'd need a bit more. Put two people in a space (assume they're within striking distance) and a line can be drawn between the core of each person, no matter which way they're facing, no matter where they're standing. Now, what's the strategy and what does it have to do with this line between the two people?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey! When are you gonna make a new video, so we can see your progress? *i was bored and watching Members in Motion videos again*

Might be some time this week. I have to get a stand for my camera, that or wait for my friends to swing by and hold the camera.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
You guys are completely misinterpreting centerline theory.

If you want an understanding of the centerline and how its used, you might do well to look at fencing -- in particular Historical Rapier, though the theory exists in all forms of fencing from the middle-ages right on to modern sport fencing. It's basically just Wing Chun with swords.

Centerline theory is present in many arts, and you can use it even in arts where it's not typically taught explicitly. It's certainly relative to arts such as boxing, for instance.

Argus, with respect, that was my point. I was argueing with Ironbears interpretation of it, and you're not the first person to point out that we're not talking about real centerline theory at all. Did you actually read the points of his i was addressing?

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Argus, with respect, that was my point. I was argueing with Ironbears interpretation of it, and you're not the first person to point out that we're not talking about real centerline theory at all. Did you actually read the points of his i was addressing?

Ah, apologies. I did read your post, but somehow misinterpreted it.

Sometimes I kind of skim over multi-page threads and miss relevant context when I reply. That's what I get for being lazy, I guess :p

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ah, apologies. I did read your post, but somehow misinterpreted it.

Sometimes I kind of skim over multi-page threads and miss relevant context when I reply. That's what I get for being lazy, I guess :p

...it's partly my fault for writing a wall of sarcastic text before my actual post :)

TLDR: Any visible target has to be fought over (...and isn't necessarily open.) You don't have to be covering everything from your throat to your groin to be practicing centerline theory b/c centerline theory is an underlying principle of attack, defense, and position control (as i understand it.) We handle this by clinching, circling out, counterattack, etc. I can't speak for CMA methodology :)

To say that we don't protect our centerline because there isn't a hand/arm in front of your groin and you're not standing fully sideways is ludicrous.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions