Which martial arts besides WC teach protecting centerline, sensitivity, balance, footwork?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh no that's not fun! Are you ok now?

That's great that boxing protects what their stance exposes, my statement is still true though that the boxing stance does expose your centerline. It's not the only stance that does this but it does. In my opinion I'd rather make it easier on myself by keeping my center line away from my opponent, then exposing it and having to worry about defending it.
It is a distance thing. If you are close enough to fight chest to chest, that is exactly what you should be doing. If you are far enough away, that you have to worry about missile attacks, you need to minimize your targets. I don't believe it is an either or, thing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh no that's not fun! Are you ok now?

Feeling better thank you, my jaw feels like it was broken lol. Totally random conversation though with doctors, he said I would have a bruised face afterwards, I replied that wasn't unusual I do MMA and other martial arts, oh he says, 'I like watching Conor McGregor', as he's Irish I asked if he knew him ( I was pretty drugged at the time lol), as I know John Kavanagh his coach, he said he didn't know Conor but knew John's fiancée as they'd gone to school together, weird considering we are in the North East of England. We got talking about Cyborg's forehead and showed him the pics and x rays on FB, he was impressed...I think lol. As I was being seen by the maxillofacial people I assume he was pleased he didn't have to deal with something like that. Anyway totally random most of it but funny.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Feeling better thank you, my jaw feels like it was broken lol. Totally random conversation though with doctors, he said I would have a bruised face afterwards, I replied that wasn't unusual I do MMA and other martial arts, oh he says, 'I like watching Conor McGregor', as he's Irish I asked if he knew him ( I was pretty drugged at the time lol), as I know John Kavanagh his coach, he said he didn't know Conor but knew John's fiancée as they'd gone to school together, weird considering we are in the North East of England. We got talking about Cyborg's forehead and showed him the pics and x rays on FB, he was impressed...I think lol. As I was being seen by the maxillofacial people I assume he was pleased he didn't have to deal with something like that. Anyway totally random most of it but funny.

Glad you are doing better. Your doctor sounds more cool than mine, mine just tells me I'm fat and I need to run more.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's great that boxing protects what their stance exposes, my statement is still true though that the boxing stance does expose your centerline.

center2.gif
latest

neutral-axis-boxing.jpg

If we look at pictures of WC and JKD stances, couldn't the same be said for them?
-> In the 1st picture, the face and groin are open. (...and gut?)
-> In the 2nd picture, the face and liver are open.
-> In the 3rd picture, the face and chest are open.

I am at fault for saying the centerline isn't exposed in post #8, though. I meant to say that it isn't unprotected, which is a bit different :) I apologize for any misunderstanding.

My central point is that i doubt you could come in and land a centerline strike w/o getting hit in the face... I imagine this is where trapping would come in, or a deflection at least.

In my opinion I'd rather make it easier on myself by keeping my center line away from my opponent, then exposing it and having to worry about defending it.

On an related subject, in the video you have on Members In Motion your face is wide open. The face is an important part of the centerline :)

(elbows in, not just horizontally. keep them closer to your body. you can move your arms forward a bit if you have to.)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not leaning towards WC anymore. There are simply too many things which are starting to really get on my nerves, like the high membership fees, the rip off tactics which many schools use and then also this whole "this teacher sucks he's from a lineage which sucks only my teacher doesn't suck".

I mean if the effectivity of WC heavily depends on getting a certain technique 10000% right cause unless it doesn't work and you get beaten up then it makes no sense at all.

I even heard a supposed WC expert on youtube saying that if you get beaten up then this means your wing chun sucks but wing chun itself is perfect. Yeah right....

This means if you get beaten up you simply need to train more years and then maybe one day you'll be able to actually defend yourself with it.

Anyway,
what I liked about wing chun and what also seems useful to me is stuff like that:

-Protecting centerline
-The whole sensitivity stuff (I heard even football players do such drills)
-the balance stuff (like how to distribute your weight)
-footwork (like when you're being attacked from the front that you deflect the attack and then step to the
side and use the outer gate to destroy the enemy, this stuff looks really cool! i'd really like to have this
ability)

Do other arts also teach these things or is this all exclusively in wing chun?
Pencak Silat (I have limited experience here, but I've heard Mike Casto of AGPS talk about these principles)
Almost any "aikido" art
Almost any "aikijutsu" or "aikijujutsu" art

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am glad you brought up the video, it is pretty old and I have gotten much better since it has been up. Pictures one two are a little different, even when comparing the boxers stance to the second picture, the Jeet kune do guy is still more sideways.

When I spar with the boxers I don't always go for the face right away. I kick their thighs then go in for punches. I don't want to fight them on their strong points (trading punches) becuase I know they are going to better at that than me.

Same reason why the boxer isn't going to try to kick or grapple me.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
center2.gif
latest

neutral-axis-boxing.jpg

If we look at pictures of WC and JKD stances, couldn't the same be said for them?
-> In the 1st picture, the face and groin are open. (...and gut?)
-> In the 2nd picture, the face and liver are open.
-> In the 3rd picture, the face and chest are open.

I am at fault for saying the centerline isn't exposed in post #8, though. I meant to say that it isn't unprotected, which is a bit different :) I apologize for any misunderstanding.

My central point is that i doubt you could come in and land a centerline strike w/o getting hit in the face... I imagine this is where trapping would come in, or a deflection at least.

On an related subject, in the video you have on Members In Motion your face is wide open. The face is an important part of the centerline :)

(elbows in, not just horizontally. keep them closer to your body. you can move your arms forward a bit if you have to.)
Also need to be remembered boxing is more for sport than self defence and since the groin is an illegal target in boxing there's no real need to defend it sport wise

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also need to be remembered boxing is more for sport than self defence and since the groin is an illegal target in boxing there's no real need to defend it sport wise

You don't have to fundamentally change anything to protect the groin though. Just learn an inside leg check. Which can be done from a boxing stance.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You don't have to fundamentally change anything to protect the groin though. Just learn an inside leg check. Which can be done from a boxing stance.
Yeah I know you still can that's something I do with my training is work on things that I'd change from my ring fighting to street fighting but when someone says oh boxing doesn't teach you to defend your groin that's because you don't need to in boxing but yeah you can of course find your own ways to do it

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Men instinctively know to protect their groin, it's not as if it's a surprise to them that they should! It's also why women shouldn't be told to knee/strike attackers there as they will be prepared.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pictures one two are a little different, even when comparing the boxers stance to the second picture, the Jeet kune do guy is still more sideways.

In all 3 pictures, it's up to the practitioner to protect their centerlines. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am glad you brought up the video, it is pretty old and I have gotten much better since it has been up. Pictures one two are a little different, even when comparing the boxers stance to the second picture, the Jeet kune do guy is still more sideways.

When I spar with the boxers I don't always go for the face right away. I kick their thighs then go in for punches. I don't want to fight them on their strong points (trading punches) becuase I know they are going to better at that than me.

Same reason why the boxer isn't going to try to kick or grapple me.

Wing Chun and MMA: Controlling the Center | FIGHTLAND

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pencak Silat (I have limited experience here, but I've heard Mike Casto of AGPS talk about these principles)
Almost any "aikido" art
Almost any "aikijutsu" or "aikijujutsu" art

Silat and aikido I know a bit from videos. The other stuff I don't know.

But the thing is, if I assume that wing chun generally isn't a good choice and not suitable for a real fight, then does this not mean that

silat for example wouldn't be much different? To me they look very similar, the deflections and all that. :/

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Silat and aikido I know a bit from videos. The other stuff I don't know.

But the thing is, if I assume that wing chun generally isn't a good choice and not suitable for a real fight, then does this not mean that

silat for example wouldn't be much different? To me they look very similar, the deflections and all that. :/

WHY ARE YOU JUDGING ARTS YOU HAVE ZERO EXPERIENCE IN!?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Muay Thai. Technically fits every criteria pretty well.

Nah, not for this OP, it will cost too much, expect you to buy kit, expect you to sign a contract, want you to actually turn up for a class and even learn something so not for him. He's working his way through all the styles telling us they don't work, hasn't trained though in anything. If he now starts asking daft questions about MT I shall blame you! :p

Latest Discussions