I think this here is way better than wing chun

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So what does that tell us about this place?
Well for the self defence that's your mistake since mma isn't a self defence school as for the promotions it depends if they're just doing mma or jiu jitsu as well I know the mma place near me has pure jiu jitsu mainly and has mma as well

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well for the self defence that's your mistake since mma isn't a self defence school as for the promotions it depends if they're just doing mma or jiu jitsu as well I know the mma place near me has pure jiu jitsu mainly and has mma as well

Any place that is combative should be able to defend themselves.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any place that is combative should be able to defend themselves.
Yes but mma isn't built towards defending yourself it's made for fighting in the ring so it's not going to teach you to kick the groin or poke in the eyes things that you'd learn in karate, Kung fu etc

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes but mma isn't built towards defending yourself it's made for fighting in the ring so it's not going to teach you to kick the groin or poke in the eyes things that you'd learn in karate, Kung fu etc

Dude. They didn't even tell to you restomp the groin! They were bad at blocking which is the most basic aspect of self defense.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dude. They didn't even tell to you restomp the groin! They were bad at blocking which is the most basic aspect of self defense.
Don't forget they're only kids they're not going to be Anderson silva just yet and everywhere does it different. At my gym the beginners classes were focused on combinations and only went into defence when you started sparring drills. Just because your shou shu does it differently doesn't make their way wrong. Now do any of their adults compete? Do they win? If they do then it shows it's a good gym for mma

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't forget they're only kids they're not going to be Anderson silva just yet and everywhere does it different. At my gym the beginners classes were focused on combinations and only went into defence when you started sparring drills. Just because your shou shu does it differently doesn't make their way wrong. Now do any of their adults compete? Do they win? If they do then it shows it's a good gym for mma

I've never seen any of them with a fight record. Also it's never good to teach kids how to be thugs, I don't know if you saw my above post earlier but the environment was everything but professional.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never seen any of them with a fight record. Also it's never good to teach kids how to be thugs, I don't know if you saw my above post earlier but the environment was everything but professional.
I saw but that's not what I was commenting on but yeah I agree that isn't good but in my opinion children shouldn't be training mma simply because it's not a self defence style and it doesn't have as much focus on respect and discipline as traditional martial arts. Before anyone starts on me I'm not saying mma is for thugs but in TMA its yes sir, no sir, yes sensai no sensai oss and bowing to each other where mma is more focused on just the fighting aspect

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Children? Jeez, have you heard how most young people talk these days? My own little angel dropped out of college, moved back int her old room at home, and has a mouth that would make Halloway blush. My son is actually a little better. It's a crazy world, man.
just out of college is hardly a child.....yeah its always been a crazy world and always will be which why training in MAs is a plus.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish he had a school where I live. I'd sign in for 12 years if I had to.

I doubt that. I really do. You'd whine because he wasn't teaching for free and offering you a free foot massage after class.

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But the arm breaking would be OK for the kiddies. Just not the poo words.
well gee let me see, if i was a 10 yr old girl and some teenager or older guy dragged me into an alleyway to rape me then yes breaking anything is! i doubt calling him an F-n bleeping whatever is going to stop him....

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well gee let me see, if i was a 10 yr old girl and some teenager or older guy dragged me into an alleyway to rape me then yes breaking anything is! i doubt calling him an F-n bleeping whatever is going to stop him....

This happens to you a bit does it?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Because the punching, kicking, knees,elbows,throws and submissions are not going to be a suitable tool box.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Because the punching, kicking, knees,elbows,throws and submissions are not going to be a suitable tool box.
Didnt say that I said it's focus isn't self defence which it isn't. an mma coach isn't coaching you about how to fight a drunk in a bar he's coaching you on how to win a mma fight yes the skills you learn will help you in self defence but it's not the focus

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This happens to you a bit does it?
hrm. what is the point of your replies? are you looking to argue a point because your obviously not understanding my opinion on how a professional should be acting/speaking and/or promoting their school.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Didnt say that I said it's focus isn't self defence which it isn't. an mma coach isn't coaching you about how to fight a drunk in a bar he's coaching you on how to win a mma fight yes the skills you learn will help you in self defence but it's not the focus

Dosent matter what the focus is. Running a hundred meter sprint isn't focused on running away from a drunk in a bar.

But it will do that job just fine. Because it is built to deal with that circumstance.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hrm. what is the point of your replies? are you looking to argue a point because your obviously not understanding my opinion on how a professional should be acting/speaking and/or promoting their school.

No I just think made up unlikely scenarios are a pretty poor way to justify a method.

We can all make up scenarios to justify things. That is called rationalising.

Swearing dosent cripple people. Crippling people does.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dosent matter what the focus is. Running a hundred meter sprint isn't focused on running away from a drunk in a bar.

But it will do that job just fine. Because it is built to deal with that circumstance.
Yes but the whole point of my comment was ironbear was saying it didnt teach self defence and I'm saying mma isn't a self defence class it's a class where you learn to fight. They don't teach you how to avoid a fight or how to talk your way out of it because if you're in the cage you'd look pretty stupid telling a guy you don't want to fight and then and try walk out before the match starts

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it doesn't have as much focus on respect and discipline as traditional martial arts.

Really? Says who? You need a lot of discipline and respect in an MMA gym I can tell you, self discipline, always the best kind, saying yes sir no sir isn't discipline it's going through the motions. Do you imagine that people who do MMA can't work out for themselves that techniques can very easily be made lethal? Do you think that because they fight with rules that if they are attacked they still abide by those rules? They don't, they know very well which techniques are 'illegal' and can very easily do them as well as the 'legal' ones if they have to. Underestimate MMAers at your peril.
The focus in MMA is training, training, and more training, the fight is the fun part, the least of it all. A bout will have three-five rounds of three to five minutes, that's nothing, it's the bit you get to enjoy. Training is everything.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes but the whole point of my comment was ironbear was saying it didnt teach self defence and I'm saying mma isn't a self defence class it's a class where you learn to fight. They don't teach you how to avoid a fight or how to talk your way out of it because if you're in the cage you'd look pretty stupid telling a guy you don't want to fight and then and try walk out before the match starts

You still generally get basic lessons on how to behave around other people.

What happens if you flip out during training?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Many self defence classes don't teach you how to de-escalate or prevent a fight either. In fact most focus on technique. Fight 'prevention' isn't actually a subject studied by many Sd places.
An MMA fight isn't actually a fight as such, it's a competition, an agreed bout with rules between consenting adults. It doesn't bear any resemblance to a fight where self defence would be needed, the players know this but they also know that outside that construct they can also defence themselves because it doesn't take a lot of imagination to turn what they do into the self defence needed if attacked.