I think the world has tipped its axis....

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was discussing this today with my boss how everything seems out of sync somehow. How there are crazy things happening to the ones we love and in the world around us.

World Leaders calling George W. the devil, the pope making the comments he did, another shooting in a high school. Even at my work we had a weird incident between the students.

It all feels like something is just "off" for the lack of a better word. Did I shift dimensions, or what?

Anyone else had this feeling lately?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Is it a full moon?

I agree, I think what I brought up on women's talk is part of it too.

I think so much negative energy is spewing and has been spewing for so long, the balance is tipping in it's favor, where it becomes the norm. I think something BAD is coming soon!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yeah, I've been having the same feeling too.

Salem, Massachusetts...the vicinity near where I live...is having gang trouble. Considering Salem, Mass. is ground zero for a lot of Hallowe'en celebrations, this is of particular concern.

There are also reasons why this is a surprise. Reason #1 - this area, Essex County, has some of the lowest crime in the country. It's not a coincidence that I live here. Reason #2 - Salem is a diverse community and somehow we all get along. There isn't a whole lot of "me vs. you" here.

Now something fairly routine...such as getting together for a D&D game (yes, I am a geek) has turned in to a discussion of who is giving whom a ride where, who is packing what for weapons, why no one must ever walk alone even if it's just down the street for a coke, and do we even want the games to continue in Salem to begin with or do we relocate them out of downtown until the Hallowe'en festivities and gang arrests blow over.

It doesn't seem fair that at Beverly Hospital there lies a man that walked for about an hour to his job as a telemarketer, hoping to earn enough cash to put his car back on the road....took a hit to the head with a hard object simply because he was walking home from work. The doctors kept him at Beverly because he was not expected to survive the medflight to Boston. He has regained consciousness, but not all of his functions.

All for walking home alone in one of the safest areas of the country. Its not fair.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I noticed the weirdness everywhere too. It feels like a full moon everyday, it really does.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was discussing this today with my boss how everything seems out of sync somehow. How there are crazy things happening to the ones we love and in the world around us.

It all feels like something is just "off" for the lack of a better word. Did I shift dimensions, or what?

Oh yeah in a big way. I dunno what's going on but something is in the air and it ain't pretty.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would be nice if things were back to "normal", but its hard to really say what is normal. We have almost always had some form of issue. Like my signature implies, I'm not sure we ever had it perfect.

Still, I'd enjoy not having to worry about terrorists, school shootings, stupid new laws, general paranoia... Thats has sure seemed amplified as of late...

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've noticed it quite a bit since 9/11. There have been everything from doomsdayers to politicians. Also, since I don't live too far from a major city, I'm always hearing things. For example- 70 yr. old lady was trying to cross a street just behind her husband and got hit by a car (saving details I heard). The mayor of that city held some sort of service, because 3 teenagers died this week in some sort of crime (all seperate). That is also a regular thing.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a somewhat different take on all this. I grew up in the 1960, and from the time of the Cuban missile crisis on, my friends and I knew we were all going to die in a nuclear war---probably very painfully, because we lived well outside the City. (It was worse than we knew, of course---during the CMC, as Richard Rhodes documents in his history of the hydrogen bomb, Curtis Lemay sent a wing of SAC bombers into Soviet airspace, apparently trying to provoke the Russians into military action. We came that close.) When `detente' went out the the window in the 1970 and both sides were exploring first-strike options and preparing launch-on-warning policies, when the US put intermediate-range multiwarheaded missiles in the European forward theatre, when the Soviet Union was on the verge of sending troops into Poland to suppress the Solidary-movement popular uprising agains the puppet communist governement... again, everyone I was friends with (and plenty of people I wasn't) figured it was going to happen any day now. We lived from day to day with the expectation that there was no way to avoid it---too many missiles out there, too many near-misses based on errors of strategy or of warning systems... We really expected that any day might be when the world's cities would all burn up in two flaming hours of hell and most of the survivors would die of radiation sickness, or starvation.

What I feel these days is mostly intense disappointment and bewilderment. We dodged a bullet that we had no right, by the odds, to escape; somehow we came out of the Cold War in one piece. And instead of taking a few deep unsteady breaths and telling ourselves, we're not going let that happen ever again, we've allowed the world to be subject a new set of crazy dangers. All those resources that were freed up after twenty years of all-out arms race, and here we are... why???

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dont think it's anything new.

Try going back to Dec.7th 1941.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

World Leaders calling George W. the devil, the pope making the comments he did, another shooting in a high school. Even at my work we had a weird incident between the students.

Put that feeling aside an gape at all the child molestation and cruelty that has gone on for thousands of years that no one spoke of in polite company. This comming to a head you feel is just the media making you aware of the constant crap that has always been going on.
Sean

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

While many events worldwide have been helter-skelter for some time, it certainly does seem as though some magical man in the sky has re-trenched his outhouse in our general direction.

I just got my personal life turned upside down, so did another friend and I just received a call from a colleague who is going through a major crisis in her family as well!! No matter where I turn, something hugely and disproportionately tragic is happening to just about every single person I know!

Maybe I need to talk to those bible-thumpers who knocked on my door yesterday .....

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The world shifted on it's axis when my ex-mother in law moved back in 93 I think.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
icon7.gif

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The world shifted on it's axis when my ex-mother in law moved back in 93 I think.

Um... what if she's a MartialTalk member, Jeff? And there's your crystal-clear avatar... ;-)

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Normally, I would say that things are no different than they usually are. It's just a time to recognize what is going on all around us. And we get to look back on the 'Good Old Days' with the fondness of forgetfulness.

But . . .

In the last 24 hours, I have seen two separate news reports.

The United States Senate approved a Bill that authorizes torture of detainees, in violation of the Geneva Conventions.

The United States House of Representatives approved a Bill that authorizes warrantless wiretapping of American Citizens, in violation of the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

When our leaders intentionally, and willingly give away the very things that define our country as a great nation, you have to wonder what ailment has overtaken us all.

When did our nation become pee-your-pants afraid of the world?

P.S. - This post could also have been copied, word for word, in the "When did we lose our collective Minds" thread. And, it probably could stand on its own, in light of the upcoming mid-terms. I don't wish to muck up the thread too much with a left/right rant, but I do believe politics touches us all, every day, in many ways. And certainly, with these issues - up is down, down is up, strong is afraid, afraid is strong - If I weren't so damn mad, I would be terribly, terribly sad.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While many events worldwide have been helter-skelter for some time, it certainly does seem as though some magical man in the sky has re-trenched his outhouse in our general direction.

I just got my personal life turned upside down, so did another friend and I just received a call from a colleague who is going through a major crisis in her family as well!! No matter where I turn, something hugely and disproportionately tragic is happening to just about every single person I know!

Maybe I need to talk to those bible-thumpers who knocked on my door yesterday .....

That's how I see it too. I'm not talkiing about worldwide, nationwide events when I say it's like a full moon every night. I'm talking about the general weirdness happening all around ME, from tiny stuff to big stuff, touching either my life directly or the ones I know personally.

Some if it is just nonsense weird stuff that makes you think, where the heck did that come from? There will always be things happening around the world that makes us wonder what the world is coming to. But when those little off kilter things, or those big life altering events, are dropping like bombs all around you, it makes you wonder what the hell happened!

Latest Discussions