I think it's time to talk

cane56

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My instructors all came from the blood and guts era. We we're always sparing force on force. Medium contact to the head, with the best gear available back 40+ years ago. I trained so many and learned from all. One of my best friends was a boxer, ranked 8th in the world. His brothers and everyone I'm about to mention have all fought in the Garden, so we understand I'm not talking crap, and one other thing, they are all gone. Back in the late 70s early 80s and I guess I could be talking about today. You get knocked out or get your bell rung in a Dojo or in the ring sparing, you got to sit on a wooden bench until you could continue the class.

It someone asked me how many times I got knocked out or had my bell rung, I couldn't give you a number. I would probably say more than 30 times. I remember the headache after certain ones. No Tylenol or Motrin back then we had aspirin. I remember having a headache so bad I took over 20 aspirin in 24 hours. Sure it could of killed me, I didn't care. The headache had to go. I went to the hospital a couple times, tell them what happened, slight concussion was always used. Never hear concussion without slight. X rays would be pointed at your neck or back. Pain killers would be the treatment. My current picture was taken one week ago, I am 64.5 and healthy physically. My instructors have found a place in heaven never seeing my age. Two of the three brothers that boxed has joined them, after their stay at a retirement community at ages of 50s. My best friend, same story! And the Cruise weight kick boxing champ in the early 80s, turned boxer, again same story, but he took his own. I have pauses, can't explain it. For less than a second, or even a second I have issues with my brain connecting to my action, some would call it a mini seizure. My Doctor has me on a medication and I don't have them as often due to the medication. I read your stories specially the young guns. I can promise you, I'm more scared of this, than anyone walking. If your read this and think well not me, or you should be dead at 60. That's how I used to think!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210814-141240~2.png
    Screenshot_20210814-141240~2.png
    135 KB · Views: 66

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always listen to those who gone through the experience. I've never thought myself to be the exception to the "old man" stories. I had head injuries as a kid doing stunts and just not being careful.

I had 2 concussions in my life as a child that were bad enough to make me vomit and spend a week in the hospital. Nothing about kung fu and sparring is worth going through that again.

Mine were from accidents so I'm definitely not going to purposely accept that as part of training.
Just my 2 cents.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hits to the head are not a good thing. Hopefully, everybody knows this by now. Hopefully.

I fear they don't.

Latest Discussions