I have a problem, need some advice

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
All of the above posts are good advice, but since Tez summed it up so well, I've quoted her. I would also strongly suggest that you follow the three pronged action others have recommended: Police report (or call Watch Commander, at least, and take notes on what he says), CO report (Oh, man, that's going to hurt him :D), and keep records.

Best wishes! :asian:

I knew some guys that were more afraid of their superiors finding out than anything the police were going to do to them.

This is the time to take full advantage of the civilian's ignorance of military ways. Something of this nature should normally go no higher than the guy's platoon commander. You should, therefore, try to address it at least at the battalion or regiment level. The pissed-off colonel will call the LtCol to find out why he's being bothered with this ****. The very pissed-off LtCol, having had his *** chewed out by the Col, will call the Major and ask why's he's being bothered with this ****. And so on down the line. As they say: **** rolls downhill. And if you do it right, it could be an avalanche by the time it hits your friend. ;)

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the advise. I will put it to good use.

The biggest pisser of all this is that fact that Ive dealt with this before. The last time it happened, he called me out in the parking lot of a resturant, so me be the raging drunk that I was didnt want to back down (dont worry fixed this problem, as many of have read Ive had both alcohol and drugs problems). So we(my friend and I) meet him in the parking lot and Im in his face telling him to hit me (not my proudest moment, obviously Ive matured...a little :) ). Nothing happens, he tells me that he doest want to fight because he will go to what he calls "Military Jail" and Ill go to only "Civilian Jail". Looking back I realize now that he called me out with the intention of not fighting, He was banking on the fact that I wouldnt show up and then he could run off at the mouth again. I didnt back down I stood up to him. So why now? Makes no god damn sense!!!

Sorry had to rant. Thanks again everyone

B

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that Marine Barracks work the same as our military in that if you phone up the guardroom you can ask for increasingly senior people, you can start with the orderly corporal (duty cpl.), then the orderly sergeant ( duty sgt) then the orderly officer (duty officer). There is usually something like a duty book or occurance book where things have to be written down, this usually has to be inspected or shown to an officer or in the British Army the Regimental Sergeant Major ( RSM = God or as they say, God answers to the RSM, a truly scary person, for a photo of the type of man this is look at our website, my instructor is an ex SGT MAJ.), I'm betting the Marines have someone similiar who will fill your 'friend' with such fear he will wet himself, honestly!

Rant away! I do and the good people here always put me back together again!

www.shotaokai.co.uk he's the one sitting at the desk for easy reference, he also has the car park thing but it never lasts long lol!

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just saw this. I've had to deal with punk-*** Marines before as a Corpsman with 1/5.

Contact his COMMAND SERGEANT MAJOR, or his COMPANY COMMANDER. He WILL cease all behavior unbecoming.

Also, if I were you, I would consider practicing your most conservative techniques the next time he gets scrappy, but HURT HIM. Hurt him so that he will MISS DUTY. Then when you call his CSM, he could be prosecuted under UCMJ for missing duty, or even damage of gov't property (his person). I've seen it happen, & it's very funny.

I say humble the ***. Sounds like yet another Jarhead needs to remember his purpose. Remind him.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just saw this. I've had to deal with punk-*** Marines before as a Corpsman with 1/5.

Contact his COMMAND SERGEANT MAJOR, or his COMPANY COMMANDER. He WILL cease all behavior unbecoming.

Also, if I were you, I would consider practicing your most conservative techniques the next time he gets scrappy, but HURT HIM. Hurt him so that he will MISS DUTY. Then when you call his CSM, he could be prosecuted under UCMJ for missing duty, or even damage of gov't property (his person). I've seen it happen, & it's very funny.

I say humble the ***. Sounds like yet another Jarhead needs to remember his purpose. Remind him.
I'll agree with contacting the command SGTMAJ or CO. Sound advice, that. As for the rest of the post I have to say that it's probably come closer to truly pissing me off than anything I've read on here in a while. Your attitude toward Marines bothers me and stating that you were a Corpsman (there to patch up wounded Marines) while doing so really pushes me over the edge. Not only are you advising another forum member to take violent action against another just to teach him a lesson you're putting all Marines forward as arrogant asses who need to be beaten. Hurt him badly enough to miss duty? Why are you advocating that the OP do something that could land him in jail in the same post that you gave some decent advice about contacting the Marines chain of command?

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll agree with contacting the command SGTMAJ or CO. Sound advice, that. As for the rest of the post I have to say that it's probably come closer to truly pissing me off than anything I've read on here in a while. Your attitude toward Marines bothers me and stating that you were a Corpsman (there to patch up wounded Marines) while doing so really pushes me over the edge. Not only are you advising another forum member to take violent action against another just to teach him a lesson you're putting all Marines forward as arrogant asses who need to be beaten. Hurt him badly enough to miss duty? Why are you advocating that the OP do something that could land him in jail in the same post that you gave some decent advice about contacting the Marines chain of command?

Why? Because someone that's just a knucklehead punk before boot usually becomes the biggest, most arrogant ***** upon actually becoming a Marine. I've seen it soooo many times. Usually, the only way to fix it is for someone to take them down a notch.
An injury that would make someone miss duty could be a little as a sprained ankle or wrist. Anything that would be just severe enought to put them on Light Duty status for a few days or a week. If he can't do company PT because he instigated a fight out in town and got hurt by a civilian, that will get around his unit. If his Chain of Command knows about it, that will reduce if not eliminate any chance for him wanting revenge, since I'm sure that whoever the OP contacts will see that his story is accurate when he checks and the serviceman has injuries that correspond with the OP's story. The OP will be told that it will not happen again and if he gets any more flack from the servicemember, then to call back immediately and report it.
Besides, I'm sure that his Staff NCO will be ordered to sit on him for awhile and keep him in line. It just won't be worth the trouble for him to seek out retribution.

That's my advise, take it or leave it.

& you can be upset about it if you like. I've been there & done that. I probably have a little different perspective. Besides, any lil' Jarhead acting like that deserves what he has coming. If he's picking fights, he gets what he deserves. I got punked by a corporal in my first FMF unit, I laid him out, & then when I dragged both of our drunken butts into the Regimental Aid Station, the duty Corpsman made me suture the guy's head back up.
We were friends after if not best buddies.

And... a civilian that makes it abundantly clear that he doesn't want to fight & has witnesses to the fact, and then prevents an Active Duty Marine from hurting him but injures him in the process, will not be prosecuted. It's called Self Defense. I trust the law in such situations, especially knowing how civilian courts will look upon a serviceman acting in such a manner. After he's done being prosecuted by the civilian courts, then the military court and his CoC will kick in and the guy will wish he'd never been born.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The problem guy in the OP is a complete and total jackass regardless of whether he wears a Marines uniform or not. It is completely irrelevant whether the guy is military or civilian so pointing out that Marines need to be taken down a notch makes no sense to me.

Thus far the problem guy has shown no true desire to actually fight the OP with the exception of one drunken swing...just talk trash and instigate hate and discontent. To advise the OP to "hurt him" in such a way that it could be construed as a pre-emptive strike just doesn't make sense. Should someone read the last few posts and decide that this thread and your posts particularly spurred the OP to action, well, there might not be such an understanding judge on the bench.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
As another former corpsman, let me say that I've met good and bad in every branch, just about equally. Had some great Marine buddies, had some great Navy friends, knew some jackasses from each. So, yeah, on MT let's respect all who serve/d honorably, regardless of branch. :asian:

theletch1 said:
The problem guy in the OP is a complete and total jackass regardless of whether he wears a Marines uniform or not.
This was posted as I was typing, so wanted to add my agreement, again.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem guy in the OP is a complete and total jackass regardless of whether he wears a Marines uniform or not. It is completely irrelevant whether the guy is military or civilian so pointing out that Marines need to be taken down a notch makes no sense to me.

You know what, it is MOST DEFINITELY RELEVANT. Someone that is physically conditioned and psychologically "empowered" by modern military training is a bomb with a short fuse, and doubly so if he's been to the Sandbox & back. I knew a guy that I recently found out killed someone over an argument at a party. Just walked into the kitchen, grabbed a knife, & stabbed the guy to death, & injured the guy's girlfriend and a couple others. We don't know what's going to happen to him.

& for the record, I never said that "Marines need to be taken down a notch". I don't care who you are, don't put words in my mouth. 99 out of 100 of the Marines that I served with I fully respected & would have walked through hell with them, as they would have with me.

I am clearly referring to Marines with attitude problems, that repeatedly harrass and pick fights with civilians out at civilian bars.

Thus far the problem guy has shown no true desire to actually fight the OP with the exception of one drunken swing...just talk trash and instigate hate and discontent.

Wrong. You need to read the OP if you think this.

I saw him at a bar about 6 months ago, and he took up the post he had in high school. Im 22 and have matured a lot so I let it roll off my back. Well he started sending text messages and leaving voice mails on my phone, so I blocked the number. Now 6 weeks ago I see him again, and he is drunk out of his mind and takes a swing. I do nothing, because its a public place and I really dont like the food they serve in jail. He takes a couple more and still all im doing is blocking or dodging. Well we decided to leave (smart move in my opinion :p ) and head somewhere else.

To advise the OP to "hurt him" in such a way that it could be construed as a pre-emptive strike just doesn't make sense. Should someone read the last few posts and decide that this thread and your posts particularly spurred the OP to action, well, there might not be such an understanding judge on the bench.

At this point, if the OPer has witnesses, then a preemptive strike will be THE BEST COURSE OF ACTION next time the guy gets in his face and tries to initiate another conflict.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At this point, if the OPer has witnesses, then a preemptive strike will be THE BEST COURSE OF ACTION next time the guy gets in his face and tries to initiate another conflict.

If you must have witnesses before being able to defend yourself, who's to say that the witnesses will give your side of the story. If you choose to ignore his comments about past problems, and encourage him to take an action that could lead to severe legal problems, then you are the one who is not reading others' posts carefully. This is bad advice, and I sincerely hope that KempoGuy06 will ignore it - which, from his other comments, it sounds like he has the sense to do.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you must have witnesses before being able to defend yourself, who's to say that the witnesses will give your side of the story. If you choose to ignore his comments about past problems, and encourage him to take an action that could lead to severe legal problems, then you are the one who is not reading others' posts carefully. This is bad advice, and I sincerely hope that KempoGuy06 will ignore it - which, from his other comments, it sounds like he has the sense to do.

He stated in his OP that after dealing with the first assault, he left with his friends. Those are probably witnesses that are going to represent the truth in court, if it even went that far. That is clearly stated in the first post. That is an established presedent for violent behavior that I'm talking about.

Now the guy's got options.

jonbey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am inclined to agree with those advocated self defence. You are within your rights to defend yourself with reasonable force, and if a guy is swinging punches at you, that means that you can swing back. Ideally just enough to knock him down and know that he should stay down.

Saying that, if the harrassment is continuing, inform the police. At least that way if you do need to defend yourself, your case for acting in self defence will be even stronger.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive said it before and Ill say it again. I appreciate all the advise people have given me. Ive decided that Im going to talk to the guy first, the only reasons I want to talk to him first is because I have the upmost respect for him and what hes done (regaurdless of how he acts in public when intoxicated). He has served this country and deserves some level of respect (even if he doesnt act like he deserves it). Also I went to high school with the guy, we graduated together. Ill tell him he needs to back down, or Ill involve the police.

Maybe this will help...maybe it wont. I want to avoid any course that will condone physically force on my part. Believe my, not fighting back wasnt my first choice, in the back of my head all I was thinking was "drop him, and make him hurt". I could have, I could have done serious damage as well, but fight a guy in the middle of a bar would have solved nothing, for one I could have hit him, he takes a bad fall, hits his head on the bar and winds up in a coma or worse...dead! I dont want that to haunt me.

I hope my couse of action works, if not Ill take the advise of some of the people on here. Thanks again everyone

B

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent first step, KG. After all, if that works then all else is moot and the problem is gone.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had planned to sit this one out. But after reading some of the comments posted above, I think I'll chime in.

First ask yourself, how good an actor are you? Can you totally ignore a security camera as if you did not know it was there?

Many a public establishment nowadays have security cameras. Take note of them and arrange to be in their field of view for your next chance encounter. By preference be recorded retreating into the field of view so that your nemesis must persue you into it. Let him be captured in a clearly aggressive posture. Defend yourself then, in front of the camera. Be recorded stopping as soon as he has stopped. Or, if it comes to losing, you've got a criminal case on tape.

If it's as regular a problem as you report, this scenario, while difficult, will not be possible to arrange. It is complicated, I admit. But video footage is a slam dunk in court. A stiff fine and probation might even prove to be a favor, a wake up call. And if that does not suffice, then it's one conviction closer to three strikes. Press charges or share the blame for the next person he assaults.

Yeah, it's a long shot. But if it comes off would likely see the end of your problem. Something to keep in mind anyway. Just know where the cameras are and do not waste one if it is available.

Latest Discussions