i was attacked today and i couldnt do anything about it|!!!!!

OP
S

sammy3170

Guest
Originally posted by Carbon

Sammy how do you know its street credibility?

Have you ever used it on the street? Are you a trained MT fighter?

I just said it was street credible for two reasons. Firstly, because I have trained with a couple of MT guys and as far as going toe to toe they hit and kick pretty damn hard. Secondly so as to not offend anyone who trains in it and think I'm suggesting it's on par with Karate point fighting.

Cheers
Sammy
 

Carbon

Blue Belt
Joined
Mar 8, 2002
Messages
253
Reaction score
0
Location
Grapevine, Texas
Oh man.

Karate point sparring is nothing like real MT sparring.

Also in a toe to toe situation you can't throw kicks. I am not sure how well a striker from MT can hit.

I think that at toe to toe a trapper would be alot better.
 

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Joined
Mar 21, 2002
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
11
Location
Bangkok, Thailand
Carbon, if you get close on a MT fighter he's not going to kick you....he's trained to rape you with knees and elbows while throwing you around by your neck.

Sammy, I don't need to relax... if you ever see "HAHA" in my post you can be pretty sure I'm not upset.

Bod, I don't know about the past but there are a few ring deaths every year from a hard knee to the ribs while in the clinch, the ribs penetrate their organs.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
 

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Joined
Aug 3, 2002
Messages
757
Reaction score
16
Originally posted by sammy3170

It sounded earlier that you were suggesting Muay Thai was a martial art that was later adjusted to be able to be used in the competition arena which is incorrect as I stated in my earlier post. I mentioned it's street credibility because I assumed that by you comparing it to sport Karate etc which would take away that aspect. Just relax. If you look at words martial art for what they mean - art of war then Muay Thai wouldn't come under that banner however if you look at it from the respect and tradition point of view then it would.

Just some thoughts
Cheers
Sammy


MT was originally designed for battlefleld use, in conjunction with Krab Krabong, the Thai weapon system. It was later adapted for sport competition.

http://members.aol.com/Thaiboxing2000/ See < The Belt is in the Ring >

In terms of street credibility, the key word is the competency of the practictioner. No competent martial artist is going to fight on the street the sameway he/she spars in the rings or back in the dojo/dojang practicing with fellow colleagues. If you got kick in the solar plexus or the baby maker, does it matter whether it was a MT kick or a TKD kick or Karate kick?

In terms of sport competitions, MT is probably the least restrictive in terms of rules. The sport version of each MA is just that , sport version.
 

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Joined
Mar 17, 2002
Messages
1,115
Reaction score
6
Location
Texas
Originally posted by KennethKu

...No competent martial artist is going to fight on the street the sameway he/she spars in the rings or back in the dojo/dojang practicing with fellow colleagues. If you got kick in the solar plexus or the baby maker, does it matter whether it was a MT kick or a TKD kick or Karate kick?

In terms of sport competitions, MT is probably the least restrictive in terms of rules. The sport version of each MA is just that , sport version.

Well put I think.
:asian:
 
OP
A

Angus

Guest
Originally posted by Carbon

Also in a toe to toe situation you can't throw kicks. I am not sure how well a striker from MT can hit.

Have you ever studied MT? Besides the knees they have, one good elbow will take a person out. Most people can take a kick, a punch, and even a knee to the gut (not so with the groin though), but very few can take a good elbow to the face or even neck. Elbows are extremely, extremely street effective.
 

Carbon

Blue Belt
Joined
Mar 8, 2002
Messages
253
Reaction score
0
Location
Grapevine, Texas
When did I say anything about elbows?

I said in toe to toe you can't throw "KICKS".

I don't want to be judgemental but you need to learn to read.

I said I don't know anything about MT Striking that doesn't involve kicks so please be compatent enough to comprehend the statements I post.
 
OP
A

Angus

Guest
My response was basically saying that they can do other things than kick, especially "toe to toe". They have neck wrestling, which is essentially stand up grappling. I would say that "toe to toe" is where Thai boxers are most dangerous. Basically, MT guys can usually hit just fine.

I can read just fine, thank you.;) :)
 

Carbon

Blue Belt
Joined
Mar 8, 2002
Messages
253
Reaction score
0
Location
Grapevine, Texas
You acted as if you were contradicting my post by saying, "Oh No! your wrong there are strikes in MT"

Even though I said I didn't know much about MT striking.

Also I think an elbow would be alot slower to throw then a punch.
 

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Joined
Mar 21, 2002
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
11
Location
Bangkok, Thailand
No, elbows are faster, they have a shorter range and need less time to travel to the target, they are done at very close range. You wouldnt effectively punch at the range that we throw elbows. We wouldnt elbow from punching range.

I think what Angus was trying to say (because it sounded like you thought Muay Thai's specialty was in kicks) is that Muay Thai is actually much more comfortable and deadly up close and personal. Stand up grappling range. If you're facing a MT expert and he stays at kicking/boxing range then lucky you...because as soon as he gets his arms around your neck he's going to have his way with you. I've seen 130 pound experts throw around a 250 pound man who didn't know what to do in the clinch.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
 

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Joined
Mar 21, 2002
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
11
Location
Bangkok, Thailand
"In terms of sport competitions, MT is probably the least restrictive in terms of rules. The sport version of each MA is just that , sport version."

EXACTOMUNDO! That's perfect, exactly what I was trying to say.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
 
OP
S

sammy3170

Guest
Originally posted by KennethKu

MT was originally designed for battlefleld use, in conjunction with Krab Krabong, the Thai weapon system. It was later adapted for sport competition.

http://members.aol.com/Thaiboxing2000/ See < The Belt is in the Ring >

In terms of street credibility, the key word is the competency of the practictioner. No competent martial artist is going to fight on the street the sameway he/she spars in the rings or back in the dojo/dojang practicing with fellow colleagues. If you got kick in the solar plexus or the baby maker, does it matter whether it was a MT kick or a TKD kick or Karate kick?

In terms of sport competitions, MT is probably the least restrictive in terms of rules. The sport version of each MA is just that , sport version.

Interesting article. Not what I've heard but I'm as open as the next guy. Also Carbon, toe to toe is an expression and not to be taken literally.
Cheers
Sammy
 
Top