i hate working

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can honestly say that I love my job, just not the sodds I work for.

I am hoping here soon that I can have my own gym and do things the way I have always envisioned them.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i hate it, i hate it, i hate it. i can't think of a single job i've ever liked, or one that i thought i would like. for a while i thought about opening up a full-time MA school, but as soon as you attach responsibilities, bills, & schedules to something i love, i stop loving it.

i have worked a wide variety of jobs, & they have ranged from crappy to slightly less crappy. i hate work. this is no way to go through life.

[/whining]

jf

Oh wow. Are we long lost brothers or something? I've also hated most jobs I've ever done. I don't know what the answer is to liking them, or at least tolerating them. For me, it's having a plan to emigrate. I "need" to have this as work experience, so I have to do this in order for us to be able to. It at least gives me some focus.

In my case, I think I have a strong desire to help people, sounds corny, but it's spot on. Recently, I did a TDI/personality test/ideal job kinda thing. It revealed what I already knew, but was quite helpful to see it in black and white. It had me to a tee. I know I'm in the wrong job, sometimes I think jobs/careers are like hats, you try 'em on for size, and if they don't work out, at least you tried. I've worked in finance for a few years, served in the RN for a few years, and have had a variety of minor roles. Now I'm a grad and work in a well paid, high powered type role, which I also don't enjoy. Ah well. Something'll come up. :)

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks man, i'm sure it will. there are jobs i think i'd like okay, but of course they tend to be not very lucrative, not very secure, or require a good deal more training/student loans. right now i'm thinking of going to school to be a radiology tech; good money, lots of prospects, & only (!) a couple years of training. i have to confess i don't have a burning desire to do it, but i think i'd like it at least as well as what i'm doing now, i'd just make more.

jf

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thanks man, i'm sure it will. there are jobs i think i'd like okay, but of course they tend to be not very lucrative, not very secure, or require a good deal more training/student loans. right now i'm thinking of going to school to be a radiology tech; good money, lots of prospects, & only (!) a couple years of training. i have to confess i don't have a burning desire to do it, but i think i'd like it at least as well as what i'm doing now, i'd just make more.

jf

Radiology is a great field to get into for the very reasons you mentioned. It's something I've considered for myself. But do you really want to do that? If you don't like what you do now, and you only think you'll like it at least as well as what you do now, will it be worth it?

If there is an area you're really interested in getting into, I would encourage you to go for it. You'll have to be working for many years, so if it's an option, you may as well be in a field you enjoy. :)

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
no, there's really nothing out there that interests me. i hate my job, but i think i'd hate it less if i were actually making real money. i don't think radiology is disinteresting, which is actually a good sign for me. i think that plus the fact that they start out at around 3x what i make now would keep me going.

actually i would like to get my master's degree & teach college courses. but there are several complications with that right now. like i already have a lot of student loans, & i don't have the GPA to go to grad school for free. plus there isn't exactly a huge demand for religious studies & philosophy instructors at the community college level right now.

honestly now that i think about, my job is fine. it's just the money that sucks. if i made enough to finance more of the things i want to do in my off time i'd be a lot happier.

jf

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
no, there's really nothing out there that interests me. i hate my job, but i think i'd hate it less if i were actually making real money. i don't think radiology is disinteresting, which is actually a good sign for me. i think that plus the fact that they start out at around 3x what i make now would keep me going.

Jarrod, I don't want to imply that you haven't done your homework, but the notion of a radiology tech with zero experience starting out at 3x what you make now, sounds a bit high...even though I don't know what you are currently making The reason why I'm voicing this concern is because I've seen several people invest thousands upon thousands in tech school classes believing that they would be making 60K as soon as they finish up their coursework, when they found that they were struggling to find a $15 dollar an hour job. I'd hate to see that happen to you, esp. considering that you are already under a burden of student loans.

We all gotta make a living some way, and personally I don't see anything wrong with money being a primary motivator to choose an area of study. But if money is the big factor, make sure you take an honest look at what the money is going to be like.

There are many factors that influence starting salary in any profession. For a clinical practitioner, some of the biggest factors will be:
- The quality of your education
- Academic record
- Previous healthcare experience, including internships/co-ops/residency
- Healthcare industry contacts
- Ability to communicate in a language other than English
- Professionalism (including negotiation skills)

If you haven't done so already, I would strongly recommend sitting down with an experienced healthcare industry recruiter and chatting with them about realistic prospects once you have your education. This accomplishes two goals, it gives you a bit of industry intel and begins to build your networking base.

Now having said all of that...I'm going to toss a curve ball atcha. ;)

Have you thought at all about taking some business courses? The reason why I ask is that you had mentioned that as soon as one attaches responsibilities, bills, etc. to something that you love, you don't have the same love for it. Perhaps the business training can give you a different perspective on the responsibilities, and how to handle them? Alternatively, a business education is valued in just about any line of work. Even if you decide to keep your hobby as your hobby, taking business classes may offer the networking skills and knowledge you can apply to make more money doing what you currently do.

I hope things work out for you one way or another. Good thoughts being sent in your direction. :asian:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd add one thing to Carol's post...

Arrange a chance to talk to a radiologist, too. I'm sure there is at least on professional organization for radiologists; I'm sure they can put you in touch with someone willing to speak to someone interested in the field. If possible, see if you can do some sort of job shadow... I know someone who went through 4 years of criminal justice studies and didn't discover until an internship or similar opportunity during their senior year when they actually went out and spent time in ride-alongs or the like that they didn't want anything to do with being any sort of LEO!

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jarrod, I don't want to imply that you haven't done your homework, but the notion of a radiology tech with zero experience starting out at 3x what you make now, sounds a bit high...even though I don't know what you are currently making The reason why I'm voicing this concern is because I've seen several people invest thousands upon thousands in tech school classes believing that they would be making 60K as soon as they finish up their coursework, when they found that they were struggling to find a $15 dollar an hour job.

3x was an exaggeration, but $15/hr would still be about double what i make now. i could live pretty comfortably on that to start, i'm fairly low-maintenance. i've thought about taking business courses, but not seriously. maybe i should investigate that & look about opening a school someday...

jf

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Radiology is actually an excellent field to get into. It was recommended to me by a family member who is a high school teacher. Because of the type of students she works with, part of her job consists of helping with future career plans. So she is pretty knowledgeable about the work out there.

What she told me is, in a relatively short amount of time you can earn your degree. It is a secure job field. It pays very well. She recommended choosing an area to start out in, ie: MRI, Ultrasound, EEG, X-Ray Tech, etc. Then what you can do is take additional courses to become certified in other areas of radiology, making you a valuable asset to a medical facility, and earning more $$.

Anyway, jarrod, if you're at all interested in it, it would be a good move. Getting reimbursed well for your work always helps. Working for peanuts is very discouraging.

Good luck. :)

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
right you are. i was just thinking after my last post that i would probably really like my current job...if it paid worth damn.

jf

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Big problem is....someone has to pick up the trash and make the copies and mop the floors. No one WANTS to do that stuff, but someone has to. So the key is that if you are the guy that mops the floor, find a way to enjoy it or at the very least, get something out of it...

If I decide to retire I will prolly take one of them jobs..

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I work in a cafe, where the residents of the neighborhood are generally more financial secure than I am, but can't seem to want to drop anything in the tip jar, despite our shop having a good reputation.

Day in and day out, we have customers who like to whine and moan about issues that don't really concern us. We also get customers who don't seem to know what they're ordering, yet place the blame on us. To the dismay of my female co-workers, we get A LOT of perverts who come in trying to pick up on them, putting some of us in the position of having to deter them. Yet we still have to grin and bare it all- it's called being professional.

Did I mention that the women's restroom can get just as bad as the men's? You never truly know how bad any restroom can get until you're on your knees scrubbing the toilets and floors clean, so they meet store standards, as well as those of the random health inspections.

Oddly enough, I can't say I hate my job. Why? It's still a job, allows for food on the table, a roof over my head, and clothes on my back. Another extra bonus? It gives me money to pay for training and gives me opportunities to practice the easily-discarded non-violent aspects of martial arts, like avoiding confrontation when possible, and emptying one's self of ego- maybe just long enough to let an angry customer's attitude wash over me, and not affect my outlook.

I HAD a co-worker who was preparing to take exams for some job (something law-related), and constantly complained about how much she hated working at our store. So I told her that nobody had a gun to her head, and she was free to quit anytime, and that we'd all be happy to take her hours. She thought we were bluffing, and gave her two weeks notice. Last I heard, she failed her exams, and had to move back home because she couldn't pay rent.

So do I hate my job? No. I don't exactly love it either. A job is just a means to an end, and to over-emphasize it with whether I was enjoying it or not would be a waste of energy. There are good days and bad days, but it's not worth it to count on them.

However, in this economy, a good job is the one that gives a paycheck.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is slightly off topic -- but I'm going there anyway.

I HATE TIP JARS!

It's one thing if it's a shared tip pool in a traditional or expected tipped job category. But the way tip jars have proliferated into all sorts of places that aren't tipped is offensive. Especially since the workers are getting free money -- and not reporting it. Traditional tipped positions get a token wage, with the expectation that the majority of their pay is going to come through tips. When I worked as a waiter, my typical paycheck, after taxes, FICA, and the rest, was something like $20. For something like 50 or 60 hours. I actually took home a good deal more.

If you want me to tip you, you have to be more than a clerk. And you have to give up the guaranteed check... and trust that I will tip you.

Latest Discussions