Security Guard

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, bouncing is not a profession that someone can be in very long if they're a blow-hard......walking softly and carrying a BIG stick is the only way to fly on that job, so you know anyone who's done it for a while is the real deal!

Amen Brother..At the end of the night after the bright lights were on I would stand on the dancefloor and tell folks in this little obscene rhyme I made up to get the **** out...After I left another fill in tried it and almost got punched out by a couple of bikers...."Drac use to say the same ****" he countered".." You aint Drac" was the response he got...

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find the loss prevention guys annoying. They often target me because of my long hair and tattoos. Depending on my mood, I'll either flat out confront them ("Dude, you've followed me around to 6 different departments and all you did was change your jacket. Give it up.") or have some fun doing stuff like checking out lingerie...

I'm clean cut, and if I got to a store late at night they follow me around as well. I usually entertain myself with playing "hide and seek" with them. Just look at them and start walking really fast and then start turning down aisles. It's fun watching them try to keep up without it looking like they are following.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They opened up a new night club in the township and patrons were using the shopping center next door to park as they didnt wanna walk any distance..The merchants association was in a pissin contest with the the nightclub and hired a security guard to inform the folks to park in the bar lot and not centers lot..Anytime he got growled at he called the station and we had to respond, it got old real fast...

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have worked with some loss prevention people in our jurisdiction and had a good relationship with them. There are some cops who look down on EVERYONE.

When I started off at the Sheriff's Dept. working in the jail (we house around 600), some local LEO's would treat us like we were nothing.

Then I got certified and went out on the road and realized that there were STILL cops that looked down on you if you didn't work "the tough spots" everyday or weren't on the SWAT team, Bomb Squad, etc.

Some people are just insecure with what they do and have to compare and try to make themselves seem better than everyone else. I wouldn't spend too much time on it though.

I also think that it is easier to work with someone in ANY profession if they know their job and how to do it well and professionally. That goes for EMTs, nurses, firefighters, security, etc. that police interact with on a daily basis.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are some cops who look down on EVERYONE.

True

When I started off at the Sheriff's Dept. working in the jail (we house around 600), some local LEO's would treat us like we were nothing.

There has always been a rift between the LEO's and Sheriffs and I cannot understand why...The only one I understand is the problem between the LEO's, Sheriffs and the Highway Patrol, the OSHP will not cut ANYONE slack no matter what badge you carry

Then I got certified and went out on the road and realized that there were STILL cops that looked down on you if you didn't work "the tough spots" everyday or weren't on the SWAT team, Bomb Squad, etc.

Up here its only some SWAT department that consider themselves royality and above the rest...

Some people are just insecure with what they do and have to compare and try to make themselves seem better than everyone else. I wouldn't spend too much time on it though.

I also think that it is easier to work with someone in ANY profession if they know their job and how to do it well and professionally. That goes for EMTs, nurses, firefighters, security, etc. that police interact with on a daily basis.

I was a rent-a-cop and never made no bones about it...

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One night while on duty at the hotel the local PD called and asked that I BOLO for a vehicle that was wanted in an armed robbery..So I am checking the lots an I see this security car from hotel down the road entering our driveway from the street...I pull my car across the drive and ask the guard what he wants, and he says he is gonna check my lot...I ask if he is armed and he says "No". "Well I am, so you're no use to me" and I tell him to get lost..He actually called the local boys and says I threw him off my lot..They laughed at him and hung up..

Last edited:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
There has always been a rift between the LEO's and Sheriffs and I cannot understand why...The only one I understand is the problem between the LEO's, Sheriffs and the Highway Patrol, the OSHP will not cut ANYONE slack no matter what badge you carry

OSHP? Ohio State Highway Patrol? I have heard that about them before. We actually had a couple transport deputies (fully marked patrol car) get pulled over in Ohio and yelled at. I was used to Michigan driving and set my cruise for 75 and was pulled over and the trooper was VERY nice and cordial and let me off with a warning when he asked about my LE background (I informed him that I was an off duty officer and had a spare magazine and handcuffs in my glovebox).

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OSHP? Ohio State Highway Patrol? I have heard that about them before. We actually had a couple transport deputies (fully marked patrol car) get pulled over in Ohio and yelled at. I was used to Michigan driving and set my cruise for 75 and was pulled over and the trooper was VERY nice and cordial and let me off with a warning when he asked about my LE background (I informed him that I was an off duty officer and had a spare magazine and handcuffs in my glovebox).

You must have found one of the decent ones..They are not known for giving breaks too often...I was pulled over once and had my DL, registration and proof of insurance ready and I had my badge in hand, I was told that wouldn't help me...He did let me go but not without a lecture...

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
You must have found one of the decent ones..They are not known for giving breaks too often...I was pulled over once and had my DL, registration and proof of insurance ready and I had my badge in hand, I was told that wouldn't help me...He did let me go but not without a lecture...

Which has always made me nervous about HR218 and interstate carry.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
You aint alone brother....That's why I don't carry out of state...

I will carry in Indiana when I visit my sister because even before HR218, IN recognized Michigan CCW's and was good about LEO's. I will not carry in a state that does not recognize MI CCW's (I don't have one since I am LE) just to not have issue with HR218.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ive often wondered what happens when officers from those sorts of departments get stopped.

Ive always been of the opinion that if I am willing to give some soccer mom or student a "pass" on a ticket why would I not do the same for another LEO? As long as he/she is "cool" and its a routine stop where no crime has been committed.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ive often wondered what happens when officers from those sorts of departments get stopped.

Ive always been of the opinion that if I am willing to give some soccer mom or student a "pass" on a ticket why would I not do the same for another LEO? As long as he/she is "cool" and its a routine stop where no crime has been committed.

The working word there is cool..

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the best jobs I ever had before becoming a cop was driving for one of the Armored Truck companies..

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which has always made me nervous about HR218 and interstate carry.

I just make sure my gun is well concealed.....I won't get in trouble anyway, as it's legal to carry, but there can't be an issue about what isn't seen.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't see the issue......I don't write cops tickets.......of course in my 'old age' I don't write many traffic tickets to begin with, so teh coach and the soccer mom usually gets a break too.

I'm mostly interested in DWI's and Drugs and Felons when I pull folks over, and if I don't find evidence of any of that, they're probably getting a warning.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't see the issue......I don't write cops tickets.......of course in my 'old age' I don't write many traffic tickets to begin with, so teh coach and the soccer mom usually gets a break too.

I'm mostly interested in DWI's and Drugs and Felons when I pull folks over, and if I don't find evidence of any of that, they're probably getting a warning.

I work with a couple of guys who are Traffic Nazis...They will spend the better part of their shift cruising around looking for their next speeding ticket..Now our DUI officer is OK because never has to look, as they always seem to find him...

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With private security ya get what ya pay for..Across the Interstate from the hotel I patrolled was another major hotel chain.My boss approcahed them about a contract saying he would have an armed guard in a marked or unmarked unit on duty after the sun went down until sunrise, they declined.
They had a rent-a-cop walking the lot with no firearm, nightstick, cuffs, mace or radio..That's right ,NO RADIO..He carried a pager if they needed him they paged him..I believe they were taking about 3-5 cars a weekend from that lot as they had nothing to fear..

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
With private security ya get what ya pay for..Across the Interstate from the hotel I patrolled was another major hotel chain.My boss approcahed them about a contract saying he would have an armed guard in a marked or unmarked unit on duty after the sun went down until sunrise, they declined.
They had a rent-a-cop walking the lot with no firearm, nightstick, cuffs, mace or radio..That right ,NO RADIO..He carried a pager if they needed him they paged him..I believe they were taking about 3-5 cars a weekend from that lot as they had nothing to fear..

Back in my state security days, one Christmas, I decided that I could use a little extra money so I went to a private security company (who shall remain nameless) to apply for a part time job.

First the guy that was interviewing was dressed like he thought he was General Patton, without the side arms, second he talked like he thought he was Patton (for the record this guy was all of 25) and third he handed me an application that was literally as thick as a book. We talked for a bit prior to me filling out the application but he would not answer many of my questions until I actually filled out the application. I then asked him one final questions; “How much does this job pay” to which he responded "we can discuss that after you fill out the application” To which I responded “No, I believe I need that question answered before we go any further” He answered and it was minimum wage. I decided that was not worth my time in just filling out the app so I left and picked up OT on my regular job.

Nothing against private security groups but that one was way over the top.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back in my state security days, one Christmas, I decided that I could use a little extra money so I went to a private security company (who shall remain nameless) to apply for a part time job.

First the guy that was interviewing was dressed like he thought he was General Patton, without the side arms, second he talked like he thought he was Patton (for the record this guy was all of 25) and third he handed me an application that was literally as thick as a book. We talked for a bit prior to me filling out the application but he would not answer many of my questions until I actually filled out the application. I then asked him one final questions; “How much does this job pay” to which he responded "we can discuss that after you fill out the application” To which I responded “No, I believe I need that question answered before we go any further” He answered and it was minimum wage. I decided that was not worth my time in just filling out the app so I left and picked up OT on my regular job.

Nothing against private security groups but that one was way over the top.

Been there..One company that had an account in one of the bad areas of Cleveland did not allow its guards to carry anything but a flashlight..Another inteviewed me standing in a hallway, he asked was I licensed to carry a firearm and I said " Yes and did he need to see my certification".. He said it was not necessary...I lost interest..

Latest Discussions