Security Guard

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
With private security ya get what ya pay for..Across the Interstate from the hotel I patrolled was another major hotel chain.My boss approcahed them about a contract saying he would have an armed guard in a marked or unmarked unit on duty after the sun went down until sunrise, they declined.
They had a rent-a-cop walking the lot with no firearm, nightstick, cuffs, mace or radio..That's right ,NO RADIO..He carried a pager if they needed him they paged him..I believe they were taking about 3-5 cars a weekend from that lot as they had nothing to fear..
Lots of private security doesn't have a radio, unless the site they're working has a radio. The "dispatcher" for private security is often just a scheduler who deals with taking calls from their posts that people are on duty, and filling posts when someone has called off. They're not going to have a radio system -- not even CB -- that'll cover the entire area they have contracts; it's just too expensive. Larger sites and contracts may have their own radio system, and a central base. I'd be surprised if even the companies that do response to alarms bother with radios today; cell phones are simpler and cheaper.

Private security runs a huge gamut -- but the primary mission of private security is generally to discover and report, not intervene. And, yes, lots take themselves way too seriously. Lots are put in positions that they should be, under prepared and poorly trained. And they aren't generally paid much above minimum until they get into jobs that take government security clearances.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thankfully my boss had purchased refurbished portables and mobile radios..

jks9119 said:
Private security runs a huge gamut -- but the primary mission of private security is generally to discover and report, not intervene. And, yes, lots take themselves way too seriously. Lots are put in positions that they should be, under prepared and poorly trained. And they aren't generally paid much above minimum until they get into jobs that take government security clearances.

Very true..

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Been there..One company that had an account in one of the bad areas of Cleveland did not allow its guards to carry anything but a flashlight..Another inteviewed me standing in a hallway, he asked was I licensed to carry a firearm and I said " Yes and did he need to see my certification".. He said it was not necessary...I lost interest..

In my area, for the most part it has been my experience that we are all much safer if those in many of the private security groups... don't carry.

However NYS has changed the laws so at least now there is a state training and certification required to be in security and there is a more extensive training for those that carry.

First this is not saying that all people in private security or any other type of security are like this, most are not actually; I worked with a guy at one of the hospitals I worked at that had extensive background in various private security outfits. After he was hired I was taken aside by a dozen or so LEOs that I knew and they all asked me how on earth that guy got a job here. Come to find out he had a bit of a Uniform fetish, He tended to go everywhere in uniform. Whether it be his security uniform (which my supervisor wrote him up for and later fired him) or Army surplus uniforms he bought. His kids believed he was an LEO or an SPO and he wasn’t.

He later got arrested for impersonation and I believe endangerment at another security job because he was in full uniform for that job out on a street stopping cars by swinging a 6D maglite at them and giving them verbal warnings for speeding.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-My supervisor, in a meeting with all the patrol drivers, told us about one of our sites, where security is not allowed to have any contact with the cleaning staff. Turns out, years ago, some guard was banging one of the cleaners. Not appropriate. Now, I understand physical attraction, and I have been to that site, and I must say the one cleaner was quite attractive. However, I have a feeling that the previous guard waved his badge around and threatened deportation to basically rape someone. I really hate those kinds of people.

-To the LEOs, my supervisor said that if the situation arises where we need to call law enforcement to a site, that if so directed by the Officer, we could lead them thru the building/site. I'm talking about an potentially ugly situation, not something minor. The reasoning, according to my boss, is that we know the site, therefore we can take the cops right to the area. I neither carry a gun on my job nor wear armor; I also don't have a problem with basically being the point man to get LEOs where they need to go. Partially because its the law to obey cops, mostly because I'm comfortable with my job/abilities.

-Any thoughts? More stories?

(And does anyone know how to get with a security company that has gov't contracts?)

Andrew

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
-My supervisor, in a meeting with all the patrol drivers, told us about one of our sites, where security is not allowed to have any contact with the cleaning staff. Turns out, years ago, some guard was banging one of the cleaners. Not appropriate. Now, I understand physical attraction, and I have been to that site, and I must say the one cleaner was quite attractive. However, I have a feeling that the previous guard waved his badge around and threatened deportation to basically rape someone. I really hate those kinds of people.

-To the LEOs, my supervisor said that if the situation arises where we need to call law enforcement to a site, that if so directed by the Officer, we could lead them thru the building/site. I'm talking about an potentially ugly situation, not something minor. The reasoning, according to my boss, is that we know the site, therefore we can take the cops right to the area. I neither carry a gun on my job nor wear armor; I also don't have a problem with basically being the point man to get LEOs where they need to go. Partially because its the law to obey cops, mostly because I'm comfortable with my job/abilities.

-Any thoughts? More stories?
Depending on the situation, I wouldn't have you go in. If you aren't equipped, you're simply someone else there I have to protect. If you aren't someone I've trained with, I don't know how you're going to react and what you're going to do. At most, if it's a big site, I might have you lead me close, but not danger-close. Most likely -- I'd have you give me directions or a map.
(And does anyone know how to get with a security company that has gov't contracts?)

Andrew
Apply. Look at what companies are working at the government buildings in your area. Realize that government contracts are centered in places with lots of government contractors and offices... so in the DC area, there're tons of private security jobs tied to fed contracts. Norfolk/Virginia Beach? Lots there, too. Go down to somewhere like Culpepper or Staunton -- not so much. You can make a similar comparison in different states.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got a good story about Smokey Robinson..He was appearing at the local venue and afterwards his group sans the leader came back and partied in hotel lounge..At closing time it was an effort to get them to leave the bar..Once in their rooms they started partying again at full volume..

We got a dozen noise complaints and I advised a few times them to keep it down..It got louder and I called the outside man in to watch my back..As I am walking to the room I meet Mr Robinson in the hall and he assures me there will be no more noise tonight.

.He knocks on the door and is answered by an angry " What the **** do you want now" before the door was opened..It was very quiet for the rest of the night...

Last edited:
OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With the job market being so poor up here ( as it is everywhere) I applied at a private security company..Only want part time work and they said the pay started at $11.00 an hr..Its unarmed ( not crazy about that aspect). Now the big question is can I make this transition..

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unarmed isn't a problem, depending on the job site. In fact, there are some places where there's no point in having armed guards except to feel important... And if they stick you in a site that you should be armed and ain't -- refuse the assignment!

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unarmed isn't a problem, depending on the job site. In fact, there are some places where there's no point in having armed guards except to feel important... And if they stick you in a site that you should be armed and ain't -- refuse the assignment!

According to the interviewer their company has a lot of industral contracts, nothing in the inner-city ..I can sit in a guard shack and log trucks in and out..

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

'Should' is indeed the keyword here.
If they want you to stand in front of a door in a rough neighborhood, it's an issue. If they want you 9 to 5 at a warehouse where they store non valuable stuff, and you have to sign people in or out, and check forms... then it probably won't matter for your personal safety.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
'Should' is indeed the keyword here.
If they want you to stand in front of a door in a rough neighborhood, it's an issue. If they want you 9 to 5 at a warehouse where they store non valuable stuff, and you have to sign people in or out, and check forms... then it probably won't matter for your personal safety.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking too..

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Had a call back interview today and decided to give it a try..

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
$11.00 an hour is good money for a standard watch job. The last company I worked for paid $11.50 an hour for me to do armed patrol and supervise standing guards in my sector.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
$11.00 an hour is good money for a standard watch job. The last company I worked for paid $11.50 an hour for me to do armed patrol and supervise standing guards in my sector.

Yeah, I could do worse Wild Bill..Jobs up here ( as everywhere) are scarce..Now that Summer break is upon us there are lots of students looking for work..

ratman

White Belt
Reaction score
I worked private security before going into law enforcement. I've been full-time LEO for 14 years. Been on both sides of the fence. In 14 years I have had more negative encounters with private security.

I investigated a case where a guard shoot at an unarmed fleeing subject (big no no, tenessee vs. Garner), have had guards rolling prostitutes for money, robbing, assault, etc.

The other issue are the ones that try to look like Dog the Bounty Hunter wearing tactical vests, etc. and try to look cool but have no skills at all. Probably the most professional security I run across is hospital securitry as they are usually paid a little better and are not contracted.

My experience is that usually it boils down to pay. We have a lot of fly by night security companies that pay the same as a lot of the fast food joints. I think I have arrested 3 security guys in my career while they were in the performance of their duties. This doesn't include the numerous guards I have rolled up on sleeping over the years.

Anyway, that's been my personal experience.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am a town Constable and also work armed security. NY state, requires certification in the use of fire arms, with a re cert every year, to carry that armed security card. Pay in my neck of the woods is not bad for SG.

ratman

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a town Constable and also work armed security. NY state, requires certification in the use of fire arms, with a re cert every year, to carry that armed security card. Pay in my neck of the woods is not bad for SG.

There are a few good paying security jobs around here but few and far between. I often check the internet to see what's out there because I will be eligible for retirement at 52 and that's too young to quit working. I'd go crazy. So I see the security field as one of the post retirement possibilities. It definitely won't go contract thou. Probably something along the lines of the nuclear atomic plant in our area, etc. Which is a Federal job.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm feeling lazy. See HERE. Security guards are an important and essential part of the overall security scheme. We wouldn't want cops doing a lot of security jobs, any more than we'd call in the army to smash a fly...

Guards who properly understand their role can be great to have around. The others? Some are downright scary; others are "mostly harmless." ;)

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I decided to pass on the one guard service I was looking at..A cop buddy/ trainer directed me to a service that is owned and operated by retired coppers..They dont advertize for help, word of mouth gets the job done for them..

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I decided to pass on the one guard service I was looking at..A cop buddy/ trainer directed me to a service that is owned and operated by retired coppers..They dont advertize for help, word of mouth gets the job done for them..
Probably a much better fit there...

One thought just occurred to me; will working for a security company cause you problems since you went out on a medical?