I didn't know this was going to happen.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When questioned on faceBook, I admitted to voting for Obama, and was instantly un-friended. Dang, I thought we were friends. I only voted for him because my boy, Nader, wasn't on the ballot. o_O
Sean

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When questioned on faceBook, I admitted to voting for Obama, and was instantly un-friended. Dang, I thought we were friends. I only voted for him because my boy, Nader, wasn't on the ballot. o_O
Sean

Can't say that I am surprised. I made a lot of Jokes after the election about Obama winning, and boy the flack I caught from my friends who were suppoters, some even going so far as to tell me I better Shut the **** up. So I told them in no uncertain terms, My Facebook Page, My Opinion, Don't like it, there's the unfriend button.

My favorite of the night was, BTW... "Look at the Mess Obama Inherited This Time, the guy just cant catch a break" :)

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
If a person unfriends you because of differing political opinions, it probably for the better. Politics are very important, but more important is the abilty to see someone you disagree with as a person. Some people cannot do that if you don't agree with them, and expect you to be in lockstep with thier opinions politically. Those are the most dangerous people to a democracy.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If a person unfriends you because of differing political opinions, it probably for the better. Politics are very important, but more important is the abilty to see someone you disagree with as a person. Some people cannot do that if you don't agree with them, and expect you to be in lockstep with thier opinions politically. Those are the most dangerous people to a democracy.

I'm getting scared, because I've agreed with everything you wrote so far today... lol

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know the feeling. Similarly, some say "unfriend me if you're going to vote for X". Screw 'em.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't unfriended anyone over politics. I have silenced a couple people who are ultra-conservative and wrote some really offensive crap that I don't want to read, and I've been told to stop posting on an ultra-liberal relative's wall because I am embarrassing him in front of his friends (he's a teacher and union worker, and his friends are flat-out commies).

I've been unfriended by some guys I grew up with who are ultra-conservative, and I guess they got tired of me poking holes in the latest make-um-up bullcrap post they came up with (I also poke holes in the liberal ones, but my liberal friends haven't unfriended me over it for some reason). I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it, though. I have to speak my mind, I really don't have whatever it takes to stifle myself.

As far as that goes, I have only unfriended one person, and that wasn't due to politics. After chiding me a number of times for speaking on my particular style of karate when I have no standing to do so, they told me to cease making comments on their own discussion forum (I had only made a half-dozen comments in a few years, to be honest) because I am too junior to know what I am talking about, and it is best if I remain silent in the presence of my betters. OK, that works for me. This junior isn't going to shut up, but I can make it so the senior doesn't have to see it anymore. Bye, senior. Seriously; I'm a junior karateka, but I'm over 50 years old. Nobody pats me on the head and calls me 'boy' anymore. I don't give a great GD if they're an eleventy-dozenth dan given their first black belt before God was a Lance Corporal, nobody talks to me that way.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am just fine with not seeking to mend the friendship, but this is a fellow Blackbelt I often train with, and the next time I see him it will be... AWKWARD.(high voice). :)
Sean

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been unfriended by some guys I grew up with who are ultra-conservative, and I guess they got tired of me poking holes in the latest make-um-up bullcrap post they came up with (I also poke holes in the liberal ones, but my liberal friends haven't unfriended me over it for some reason). I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it, though. I have to speak my mind, I really don't have whatever it takes to stifle myself.

Liberals are more tolerant of differeing viewpoints, pretty much by definition. Until you get way out on the Wack-A-Doodle-Doo fringes, at any rate.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Liberals are more tolerant of differeing viewpoints, pretty much by definition. Until you get way out on the Wack-A-Doodle-Doo fringes, at any rate.

If this is the case, I know plenty of people that wrongly consider themselves liberal. I'm seeing a lot of mob mentality from them. Watch out Papa John's! Here come the people with pitchforks!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I would not say they are more tolerant of different viewpoints, but I would say they're more passive. They often will not tolerate nor consider a conservative point of view, but they tend to be a bit less willing to take action that might get them a punch in the nose in real life, in my experience.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would not say they are more tolerant of different viewpoints, but I would say they're more passive. They often will not tolerate nor consider a conservative point of view, but they tend to be a bit less willing to take action that might get them a punch in the nose in real life, in my experience.
Depending on how extreme it is, at least on facebook, I would say that conservatives are the more passive ones...there's two conservatives that post frequently, and that's normally in response to other posts, but I see extreme liberal posts all the time. Although that could have something to do with me going to a liberal college, so maybe I'm just not friends with as many conservatives...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't unfriended anyone for politics. I don't mind if a person expresses different views than I do, I have learned a lot from folks I initially disagreed with.

However, earlier in the year I had a political thread explode in a bad way, and after that I gave up the political stuff. I didn't even make any Libertarian Party posts on my own page. I may not be the best campaigner, but I've given LPNH more than their money's worth...LOL!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depending on how extreme it is, at least on facebook, I would say that conservatives are the more passive ones...there's two conservatives that post frequently, and that's normally in response to other posts, but I see extreme liberal posts all the time. Although that could have something to do with me going to a liberal college, so maybe I'm just not friends with as many conservatives...

I'm not referring to their posts, but rather to their actions (such as unfriending someone). They'll say the most outrageous things, just like the ultra-conservatives will, but they tend to crumple on impact and not block or unfriend as the ultra-right chest-thumpers will.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't unfriended anyone for politics. I don't mind if a person expresses different views than I do, I have learned a lot from folks I initially disagreed with.

However, earlier in the year I had a political thread explode in a bad way, and after that I gave up the political stuff. I didn't even make any Libertarian Party posts on my own page. I may not be the best campaigner, but I've given LPNH more than their money's worth...LOL!

I've deleted a couple posts off my wall, and deleted a couple threads I had started on my own wall, just because one person could not restrain himself from saying things that make it very clear he has no filter on his brain. He thinks it, he says it. I am not interested in my friends and family reading garbage about what all Muslims are like, or how those black people really are deep down inside, or faux ghetto-speak for the purpose of being a giant a-hole. I haven't unfriended this boohoo yet, but I've come close once or twice. He also posts some very intelligent stuff on occasion, so I think he just has some kind of problem like Tourettes or something; he just blows up and says incredibly inappropriate stuff from time to time. And he's entitled to his biased, racist, or bigoted opinion, but not where my family can read it, thanks.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My father constantly threatens to delete any liberal/dems/people that don't agree with his point of view. If he wasn't my father, I'd have unfriended him long ago.