I did it!

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Took my black belt test this weekend. 7+ hours of techniques, kata, weapons, etc., over and over on Saturday, then 3+ of conditioning and sparring on Sunday.

I did 50 pushups in 31 seconds--the fastest of the candidates. Woohoo!
I did well on techniques and kata, but did have a brain cramp on one of the kata and had to do it over. I sparred 45 point matches to 7 points, and 30 or so minutes of attack/defend.

I popped a new shin splint on Saturday, and got a broken rib early in the sparring, but I finished and got my last stripe taken off my brown belt, which makes me a "black belt in waiting"--I will receive my belt at a ceremony in November. I cried when my favorite instructor took off my stripe, but all of the candidates were crying then, so that's okay.

Reactions: MJS

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow fantastic!!! Way to go!!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome! Sounds like you did fantastic. Congratulations.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Took my black belt test this weekend. 7+ hours of techniques, kata, weapons, etc., over and over on Saturday, then 3+ of conditioning and sparring on Sunday.

I did 50 pushups in 31 seconds--the fastest of the candidates. Woohoo!
I did well on techniques and kata, but did have a brain cramp on one of the kata and had to do it over. I sparred 45 point matches to 7 points, and 30 or so minutes of attack/defend.

I popped a new shin splint on Saturday, and got a broken rib early in the sparring, but I finished and got my last stripe taken off my brown belt, which makes me a "black belt in waiting"--I will receive my belt at a ceremony in November. I cried when my favorite instructor took off my stripe, but all of the candidates were crying then, so that's okay.

Way to go!! Congrats!!!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations; now are you ready for the real work?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very impressive. Congratulations with your achievement.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats, Black Belt! :angel:

btw i saw my very first BB grading august 21 at a seminar. None were perfect, but they all passed - the ones going for shodan and the BB's going for their Nidan. It was quite an experience to watch. The ones were very nervous before the test and were quite antsy.

Afterwwards we went to a restaurant and bar in one and I bought them each a drink to congratulate them for their work and passing. :)

If i could I'd buy you one too, Stacey.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is FANTASTIC! Way to go! Sounds like a gruelling test.