First time judging at a tournament!

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Last Saturday my organization held an invitational tournament, and we were short some black belts for various reasons. Since I just ranked up to the highest level of brown, they had me help out judging kata in the men's yellow and orange belt division.

It was quite nerve-wracking, but I think I did pretty well. My scores were in line with the black belt judges most of the time (except with the one guy whose face was only visible to me when he completely lost focus and got that "Oh, cr#p! What's the next move?!?" look on his face twice). It was also a little tense when I was trying to prepare and show my scores and people kept interrupting me to tell me my kata division was running and I needed to get over there to compete. I wound up running across the gym and doing my form without any warmup, then winning first.

All in all, a very good day--and a great learning experience.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats on both occasions. Judging can be just as fun as competing.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Judging can be nerve racking especially when you are new to it. Wait until you judge kumite for the first time. But it can be a great learning experience also.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Even after doing it a few times....one wants to always be fair and correct! ...still gets butterflies until the actions starts...

Judgeing also helps you see things from a different point of view...

You did well because you didn't have time to think about your forms...you just went out and did them! That is how it should be... just do it! ... by it self!

Aloha, ...first times are good...help us grow up!

Reaction score
Congratulations on your first! There really is a such thing as good stress, right? :lol:

When you're sitting in that chair.... Do not worry about what the other judges are scoring. No matter how many ranks they have on you. Just be true to how you want to score them... so long as you're fair and not picking favorite styles or schools :lol: jk... but, seriously.

As long as you are true to yourself in your scoring, the points will add up the same at the end. Most tournaments I've gone to, they assign a scoring range to the color belts (like 7.0 to 8.0 or 8.0 to 9.0, or sometimes in black ranks 8.0 to 10). Try to remember how you were at that rank. A yellow belt isn't likely to do a perfect form, so don't hold him/her to perfect form standards.

But I reiterate... Don't worry about what the other judges are calling.

Kumite/sparring judging will be a little more difficult, but alot more fun. The only key in that is to have your call ready and throw it as soon as the center ref asks for it. Late calling is BAD.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Last Saturday my organization held an invitational tournament, and we were short some black belts for various reasons. Since I just ranked up to the highest level of brown, they had me help out judging kata in the men's yellow and orange belt division.

It was quite nerve-wracking, but I think I did pretty well. My scores were in line with the black belt judges most of the time (except with the one guy whose face was only visible to me when he completely lost focus and got that "Oh, cr#p! What's the next move?!?" look on his face twice). It was also a little tense when I was trying to prepare and show my scores and people kept interrupting me to tell me my kata division was running and I needed to get over there to compete. I wound up running across the gym and doing my form without any warmup, then winning first.

All in all, a very good day--and a great learning experience.

Hello,

Sounds like it was indeed, a good day. :)

While I always cherished the opportunity coming up in the ranks, I usually do not volunteer to judge or referee anymore. There can be too many personalities, and some politics involved. Things have changed some over the last 20 years, or so. I do travel and agree to participate from time to time at certain venues.

I think that judging will help overall, and you, to develop some insight to your own art and training. I always recommend participation along those lines. It can be interesting to see things from that perspective.

Good job, and thanks! A tough job, but someone has to do it. :)
Milt G.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's awesome! Congratulations on both parts! :asian: