Hwa-Rang Hyung

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the Ch'ang Hon form Hwa -Rang, move 7 requires a downward knife-hand strike in a "Vertical Stance." What is this stance, what is it's purpose, what is the correct foot placement for the stance?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I was taught this form (in the late 60's - early 70's), the vertical stance is, as the name implies, an upright stance. The feet are very close together, forming a "T" about half the length of a typical walking stance.
As with all forms, the purpose is to teach you movements. If you're looking for a specific application, there any tons (as always), none of which are "the" answer, but simply "a" answer. Since you're moving from a longer right fixed stance and withdrawing the leg, one application of the stance change could be to avoid a sweep of the front leg. Another would be simply drawing the leg back so you can step backwards without changing leads. Another would be controlling distance between you and your opponent.
Keep in mind that stances are static only in forms. In application, you're constantly moving and shifting between stances.

I have not trained in a Chang Hon school in many years, so some details may have changed. For example, I learned these forms pre-sine wave, and although I was later taught sine wave, I still prefer and practice them as I was originally trained, without sine wave. There are people like ChrispillerTKD and EarlWiess who are heavily involved in the Chang Hon system as it is currently used in their respective branches of what used to be the ITF, and they can and no doubt will jump in to tell you if there's any differences in how this form is taught in their systems.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Vertical Stance -
1. One shoulder width from big toe of lead foot to big toe of rear foot.
2. Weight 60/40 Rear / Front
3. Although feet would be close to forming an "L" shape, each should be pointed inward approximately 15 degrees (Like an L Stance)
4. Keep legs straight
5. Half Facing.
In Hwa Rang it is used for a downward strike. While similar to an L stance the position puts you higher making the downward strike more effective for a higher target than might be possible with an L Stance..

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
@Earl Weiss
The fixed stance in move 6 appears to be different than the ones in Won-Hyo? Is there a difference, what is teh correct ration for the fixed stance and its application?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Earl Weiss
The fixed stance in move 6 appears to be different than the ones in Won-Hyo? Is there a difference, what is teh correct ration for the fixed stance and its application?

Why do you say "Appears to be different" Where do you noe the different appearance?
There is no difference.
Fixed stance is 50/50 weight distribution. (Is this the "ration" / Ratio you refer to?) 1.5 Shoulders width long from Big toe of lead foot to reverse footsword. Both this move and the ones in Won Hyo are the same lead hand technique.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master Weiss, perhaps he means the difference in how one moves into the stances. In Won-Hyo you move from an L-Stance into a Fixed Stance by sliding the front foot while in Hwa-Rang you move from an L-Stance into a Fixed Stance in a sliding motion (both feet moving).

Pax,

Chris

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Master Weiss, perhaps he means the difference in how one moves into the stances. In Won-Hyo you move from an L-Stance into a Fixed Stance by sliding the front foot while in Hwa-Rang you move from an L-Stance into a Fixed Stance in a sliding motion (both feet moving).

Yes, the sliding motion made it appear like the fixed stance was longer, but like Mr. Chris stated that could be due to the slide.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
@Earl Weiss Mr. Weiss, this is something that wasn't made clear to me. Is there a significance to the ready stance "C." Besides it just being a different ready posture. It kind of looked like a flower and hwa-rang meaning "flowering youth", it kind of made sense. I could be way off and just using my imagination though.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Earl Weiss Mr. Weiss, this is something that wasn't made clear to me. Is there a significance to the ready stance "C." Besides it just being a different ready posture. It kind of looked like a flower and hwa-rang meaning "flowering youth", it kind of made sense. I could be way off and just using my imagination though.

To my knowledge the text does not state a reason for the different pattern ready stances. These positions / postures are found in various arts and disciplines. Some have stated purposes, some only symbolic and then there is the alternate application theorists.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is there sine wave in this form, if so, what moves have it?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sine wave, for systems that use it, is on every move.

The above is basically but not completely correct. The text only refers to sine wave for hand techniques and there are a few exceptions.

The knee flexion which creates the sine wave is also taught to a degree by the ITF V technical committee when going from a kick to a hand technique. Probably easier to show than explain but I will try. For example in Do San you do a wedging block with the outer forearm followed by a front snap kick. The kick is retracted while maintaining balance and before you step down into the walking stance punch there is a slight relaxation of the support knee causing a 1-2" drop, and then the knee straightens as you move forward into the punch. The same applies for most kicks followed by a hand technique. When I first heard this / learned it I hated it as too much extraneous motion and too much time wasted. I thne cam to appreciate it since it forces the student to regain balance and control after the kick. As with many things done in pattern the esthetics and physical abilities can trump practicalities. However I would offer that if one can develop the ability to perform in a certain non practical manner it can easily be adapted when needed as opposed to not developing the abilities and having to tap into them if needed.

This would apply to the side piercing kick in Hwa Rang followed by the knife hand strike. The kick would be retracted and balance maintained prior to stepping into the knife hand.

Latest Discussions