Hunting - split from Kukri vs Machette

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The jaguar is native to the Americas.

You mean leopard. Like the elephant, the leopard is not "endangered." It is protected in Zimbabwe and South Africa, and there are legal hunts there.

No lol. I mean the Jaguar :D Where is Darth Maul's twin when I need him lol

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is only one Jaguar...

FT_16MY_002_UK-device_desktop-640x420_tcm91-139326_desktop_640x420.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed, I grew up in NZ so it is the same for possums, rabbits - and also pig and deer, non of those are endemic over there, they all wreck the ecosystem that did not develop with them in mind and so they are all open game. So I think I understand what you are saying in that they are "more fun" to kill than a native species (but my take on that is that, it is "better" to be hunting/killing these animals, rather than those that are a natural part of the environment). But I was trying to make the point that Tez3 summed up, in that no matter what you are hunting, the actual killing bit should not be deemed as "fun".

Going to extremes, if forced to make a decision between shooting an innocent 5 year old girl or a hardened criminal, I would take the criminal any time. But that doesn't mean pulling the trigger and putting a bullet in the crook's head would be fun (...okay if the crim was some scumbag paedo, murderer or rapist, then that might be fun...hmmm, maybe this analogy is not such a good one after all...)

Hunting costs more money and requires more effort than going to the shops. Generally. Killing for fun is a real and legitimate human endeavor.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I run over Cain toads in my car. Does that make me a monster?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah and soon to be no more. At least the Discovery according to Top Gear.

It's the Defender they aren't going to make anymore not the Disco. My other half is a bit distraught, he loves the Defender, he's drove so many, from the armoured ones in Northern Ireland to the desert ones in Doha, that's in wartime of course when your targets shoot back at you rather than be herded in front of you for an easy kill.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the Defender they aren't going to make anymore not the Disco. My other half is a bit distraught, he loves the Defender, he's drove so many, from the armoured ones in Northern Ireland to the desert ones in Doha, that's in wartime of course when your targets shoot back at you rather than be herded in front of you for an easy kill.

Oh right okay. Misheard then.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Knives and dogs here.
Yup, in NZ it is standard to hunt wild boar with team of dogs and to finish with a pig-sticker - a custom blade for that job. You generally have shotgun or rifle to hand but with the dogs you can't usually finish with a gun so you need to go in.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hunting costs more money and requires more effort than going to the shops. Generally. Killing for fun is a real and legitimate human endeavor.
Not sure about more money, once you have the gear but yes, definitely more effort. And that's where part, or sometimes most, of the fun comes in and which makes for those epic adventures and sometimes mishaps that you remember and laugh about later! : )

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it may just be semantics and that we are generally seeing things in the same light. I have no problem with the killing aspect as it is necessary and natural, it's just that I would put it as "hunting for fun is a real and legitimate human endeavour". The "killing for fun" changes this somewhat. Again, I have no problem and am in no way squeamish with the killing but it is the hunt I enjoy not necessarily the pushing of a blade into something's eye or heart.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it may just be semantics and that we are generally seeing things in the same light. I have no problem with the killing aspect as it is necessary and natural, it's just that I would put it as "hunting for fun is a real and legitimate human endeavour". The "killing for fun" changes this somewhat. Again, I have no problem and am in no way squeamish with the killing but it is the hunt I enjoy not necessarily the pushing of a blade into something's eye or heart.

then why kill?

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
then why kill?
Huh? Huh?? Look I know you're an Aussie but...!! How am I to eat the stuff (deer/pig) or cull it (possum/rabbit) if I don't kill it? The idea of skinning or eating an animal while it is still alive, if that is what you are implying, is just too much for me...(again, I am not an Aussie though!)

Latest Discussions