how to tell the difference between sport and traditional MA?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Traditional is where you get the crap beaten out of you, sports is where everyone craps to you about how you could have beaten the crap out of the other guy....if it had been a real fight

I am a traditional martial artist and have NEVER got the crap beaten out of me since I started training. I've always given AT LEAST as well as I've taken.

Got several TMA buddies with the same kind of track record.

I've beaten the crap out of a LOT of big, confident mean fellas. Their swaggering and confident demeanor is always gone by the end of the match.

This is a horrible generalization.

Neg rep coming your way from me with no apologies.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree.

The TKD school I came up through was focused on traditional aspects but we did attend tournaments and stuck the silly pieces of plastic in the window.

Don't judge books by the covers.

Just because you don't train specifically FOR tournaments doesn't mean that you won't do fairly well.
More and more today, open tournament competition has become so specialized that to do well, you have to focus your training on it. Closed/one-style or limited tournaments are still an area that a "traditional" school might excel in without specialized training -- but not the open stuff. You need to know what judges from multiple styles consider a "good" kata/form, how to catch their eye and so on, and know similar things about the point sparring game.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am a traditional martial artist and have NEVER got the crap beaten out of me since I started training. I've always given AT LEAST as well as I've taken.

Got several TMA buddies with the same kind of track record.

I've beaten the crap out of a LOT of big, confident mean fellas. Their swaggering and confident demeanor is always gone by the end of the match.

This is a horrible generalization.

Neg rep coming your way from me with no apologies.

Oh my God, It was a joke, I study TMA as well

I guess some people do not have a sense of humour

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wait, I just saw my rep comments, you did get the joke after all. Ok now can we be friends ;)

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh my God, It was a joke, I study TMA as well

I guess some people do not have a sense of humour

Ouch — my bad. There are so many people who actually say that stuff seriously I mistook you and had a knee-jerk reaction.

I'm very sorry.

(I DO have a sense of humor when I am not being too dense to realize it is a joke or sarcasm :))

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
More and more today, open tournament competition has become so specialized that to do well, you have to focus your training on it. Closed/one-style or limited tournaments are still an area that a "traditional" school might excel in without specialized training -- but not the open stuff. You need to know what judges from multiple styles consider a "good" kata/form, how to catch their eye and so on, and know similar things about the point sparring game.

Ahhh... Good points.

The trophies we "won" were in "invitational" tournaments, for the most part. We didn't do particulary well in open tournies. Some wins, but a lot of losses when we felt we probably shoulda won.

Usually did OK in the sparring part, but you are spot-on as far as forms.