How to confront someone lying about knowing martial arts?

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it odd that a 16 year old says "I dedicate my life to my training". That said skilled in a Martial art is NOT the same as being skilled in fighting.

Do u find it odd that u take the time to type that knowing nothing about me besides my age and that I do martial arts?

-Julian

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do u find it odd that u take the time to type that knowing nothing about me besides my age and that I do martial arts?

-Julian

Bear in mind we do know nothing about you, you haven't shown us your certificates, belts etc. etc. yet we aren't calling you a liar. It doesn't bother us, we take you at face value so why is it so hard for you to either accept or ignore what this lad says? Why does it matter to you whether he's telling the truth or a pack of lies?

Grasshopper, you have much to learn, may your mouth not make threats your body can't carry through so that you live long enough to become wise and humble.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

-Julian
My point is precisely your age. To dedicate one's life to something is to make it a priority over everything else; family, friends, education, everything. If you have truly done this at you age it can actually be psychologically unhealthy to have done so because all of the other facets that make up the educational process of growing up are pushed to the side. Heck it can be unhealthy for adults depending on how far it goes. More than one divorce I have seen occurred because people were dedicated to their career and their spouses and family were tired of suffering for that dedication.

If you did not actually do so and you are simply engaging in a bit of hyperbole that's fine but as we are in a text only medium here I tend to take statements at face value.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't sweat the small stuff, FJ, we all kind of wish we were sixteen again. Heck, my last dog lived that long and I got bruises older.

As for the kid making stuff up about knowing the Arts, no worries, you know how fourteen year old kids are. Just keep training and rocking, you're going to meet a whole lot more like that, no worries.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bear in mind we do know nothing about you, you haven't shown us your certificates, belts etc. etc. yet we aren't calling you a liar. It doesn't bother us, we take you at face value so why is it so hard for you to either accept or ignore what this lad says? Why does it matter to you whether he's telling the truth or a pack of lies?

Grasshopper, you have much to learn, may your mouth not make threats your body can't carry through so that you live long enough to become wise and humble.

I just PM'd u some of my stuff

-Julian

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want your PM, I was making a point which you haven't picked up.
For safety do not give any personal details to anyone you don't know.

I will delete your PM immediately.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I have picked up. I just disagree. And I think proof is crucial therefore you go a pm from Me

-Julian

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have picked up. I just disagree. And I think proof is crucial therefore you go a pm from Me

-Julian
Proof isn't crucial on this board. I posted about my whole fighting career when I first came here no one here demanded to see fight footage or my online stats or whatever people accepted what I said same with everyone we have no reason to doubt anyone. From what I've read from you is you seem to care about other opinions to much. The threads you've started "what's your opinion on taekwondo" "what's your opinion on my self defence move" "what's your opinion on one step sparring" you seem to care to much about other people's opinion and want to prove yourself I mean come on do you think sending personal details to someone you don't know online is a smart idea? So basically if you sent a certificate you've given away your name, your rank, your school and your instructor that's a lot of details.

Just relax and enjoy what you do or you'll just burn yourself out and end up hating it trust me I've seen that hundreds of times

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Obviously, you should kick sand in this kid's face. Or slap his face with a gauntlet and demand satisfaction. I mean if a snot nosed punk lies about his skill level, there is no way you can let that stand. Cuz, like you need to uphold the reputation of martial artists everywhere.

Or you could take him aside, offer to show him some of what you know, maybe actually get him interested. Or you could ignore him completely. So many choices.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Proof isn't crucial on this board. I posted about my whole fighting career when I first came here no one here demanded to see fight footage or my online stats or whatever people accepted what I said same with everyone we have no reason to doubt anyone. From what I've read from you is you seem to care about other opinions to much. The threads you've started "what's your opinion on taekwondo" "what's your opinion on my self defence move" "what's your opinion on one step sparring" you seem to care to much about other people's opinion and want to prove yourself I mean come on do you think sending personal details to someone you don't know online is a smart idea? So basically if you sent a certificate you've given away your name, your rank, your school and your instructor that's a lot of details.

Just relax and enjoy what you do or you'll just burn yourself out and end up hating it trust me I've seen that hundreds of times

I like opinions because assuming many of you guys are very well trained you can probably tell me a thing or two. And so far everyone who here seems legit because nobody has ever said anything that made me think twice

-Julian

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don't let the guy bother you. It's a bit pathetic, because if he talked big around some tough guys in a bar, he could be in big trouble. So, when he talks, just say things like "Wow! That sounds cool! Then what did you do next?" Or just nod sagely. Let him talk, but remember that you know your own stuff.

In other words, be all "old Sifu" about it. Those guys don't get upset; they just nod.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

This is just bizarre considering that a poster named sojobo was crapped on within the last 48 hours for not supplying adequate credentials.

The hypocrisy around here just blows me away sometimes.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is just bizarre considering that a poster named sojobo was crapped on for not supplying adequate credentials.

The hypocrisy around here just blows me away sometimes.
I've been ignoring that thread, and it is too long at this point for me to catch up...are the people who are complaining about his credentials in there the same ones that are telling FJ just to let it go?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been ignoring that thread, and it is too long at this point for me to catch up...are the people who are complaining about his credentials in there the same ones that are telling FJ just to let it go?

I have asked no one for credentials.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, should I? This 14yr old kid claims to take Kung Fu AND Boxing yet couldn't show me a thing about what he's learned. Couldn't show me any of his belts or certificates and claims to have both, belts and certificates. I dedicate my life to something and then someone is going to lie about knowing this stuff.... in my opinion i should confront him and he is wrong for doing that. Any opinions? Thx

This actually ties back in to the threads about kids with black belts. The attitude that you somehow need to be the Martial Arts Police and confront people who don't meet your standards for verification of rank shows a lack of maturity.
Bluntly, it's not your problem, nor is it even any of your business if this other kid wants to exaggerate or even totally fabricate their training.
Like here, I think it's fine to ask what a persons training and experience is. It's also fine to form an opinion about their credibility based in part upon their response to these questions. But that's about it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't start fights.
Yesterday, I saw a group of people wrestled on the grass in the park. I walked over.

A: Are you guys doing wrestling?
B: Yes, we are.
A: I like wrestling too. Can I wrestle with you or your guys?

I wrestled with him and his guys on the grass and had good time. We shake hands after the matches and set up time to meet again.

To have friendly match even between strangers is not "fighting".

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify my earlier post...
With maturity comes the realization that other peoples problems are their problems.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For safety do not give any personal details to anyone you don't know.

I will delete your PM immediately.

Why are people thinking this post 'funny'? A teenager has sent me ( someone he doesn't know) a photograph with certificates with his name on and other personal information which can be used for various purposes including identity theft, cyber bullying and online grooming and you guys think it funny because I warned him? Good grief, that's low, does safeguarding mean nothing to some people?

/preventing-abuse/keeping-children-safe/online-safety/

Latest Discussions