How to confront someone lying about knowing martial arts?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again my friend who cares if a bunch of non martial artist thinks martial arts are unlegit then so what? Look I get it when your young you want everyone to think what you do is the best thing ever and you want everyone to be impressed with it I get it I do. But when your older people's opinion means less and less. Now days I don't hang out in the martial arts circle much and most of my friends either don't care about martial arts same way I don't care about football or basketball or they think it's all bs but those guys are my friends and I don't care if they hate what I do.
I enjoy what I do and I'm proud of what I've done in my life and wouldn't take any of it back and that's all that matters if you love what you do then that's good enough that's why I don't go round having a go at people who train in mcdojos I mean I hate the instructors who run places like that but Id never tell a student they're learning rubbish because if they're having fun and enjoying themselves what right do we have to say anything same with liars if they're happy living in their little fantasy world good for them

Pease don't. I was kidding! LOL

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Self Defense Warring
1. He doesn't have to know Kung Fu to beat you up or to beat you in sparring.

If you do challenge him, and he doesn't use kung fu to beat you, but he is still able to beat you, then what does that say about your martial arts training to be beaten by someone who doesn't know martial arts. What would you have proven? If this happens to you, would it even matter if he knew Kung Fu or not?

Last edited:
OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Self Defense Warring
1. He doesn't have to know Kung Fu to beat you up or to beat you in sparring.

If you do challenge him, and he doesn't use kung fu to beat you, but he is still able to beat you, then what does that say about your martial arts training to be beaten by someone who doesn't know martial arts. What would you have proven? If this happens to you, would it even matter if he knew Kung Fu or not?

That's not going to happen. Lol. First of all I would never fight the jerk. 2nd of all I dedicate my life to my training and will never accept defeat. I am much more skilled than him without any doubt. Thanks for replying

-Julian

Ademadis

Green Belt
Reaction score
Your lack of humility is probably why you're so concerned about his boasting.

And if you're unwilling to accept your defeat you're never gonna learn; See here.

I'm gonna unfollow this thread before it bursts into a full blown argument.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's not going to happen. Lol. First of all I would never fight the jerk. 2nd of all I dedicate my life to my training and will never accept defeat. I am much more skilled than him without any doubt. Thanks for replying

-Julian
Awful attitude. You dedicate your life to it? Doesn't mean anything if you get punched hard in the face and go down anyone can do that to you any thug can swing hard at you skills mean nothing when you get punched in the face you may not accept defeat but doesn't mean you won't lose

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2nd of all I dedicate my life to my training and will never accept defeat. I am much more skilled than him without any doubt. Thanks for replying
Wow... really? the fact that you even said this makes me think more and more that the boy is baiting you. You probably parade around with martial arts arrogance that makes people want to show you up.

I'm going to go into "Old Dog" mode and no longer pay attention to this thread

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I would avoid being a jerk. If he is yiur friend, why not try to get your friend interested in Training with you at yiur school?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

-Julian
Jerk? I thought the guy was your friend. Mate come on your 16 dedicate your life to training? You mean you practice a few hours after school each day. There are professional fighters who do nothing but train for hours and hours a day and they still lose If professionals can lose I think you can.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First of all, should I? This 14yr old kid claims to take Kung Fu AND Boxing yet couldn't show me a thing about what he's learned. Couldn't show me any of his belts or certificates and claims to have both, belts and certificates. I dedicate my life to something and then someone is going to lie about knowing this stuff.... in my opinion i should confront him and he is wrong for doing that. Any opinions? Thx

-Julian
Julian, you are a young man yes like you are 16yo?? I think you are doing exceptionally well to ask questions and seek out your answers.

Can I say maybe on your post here.. You know sometimes something feel like a big deal at the time and then afterwards you say to your self, hey, that was not the big thing I was fretting about, right? I wonder maybe this is the same? Like you are really bugged by this dude and but later on, you will think back maybe next week or next year or even when you run your own gym, or maybe when you are president, you will think back maybe and remember, this dude he help me to understand how some people actually are. And knowing how people can be is always another layer in your armour :)

Hope you are well. Keep on asking those questions :) x

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow... really? the fact that you even said this makes me think more and more that the boy is baiting you. You probably parade around with martial arts arrogance that makes people want to show you up.

I'm going to go into "Old Dog" mode and no longer pay attention to this thread
Yeah sounds like the guy who walks around in nothing but taekwondo t shirts

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes guys, I love my Taekwondo t-shirts. And yes I am 16. Lol jk I don't wear TKD t-shirts every where lol and don't tell people I know martial arts due to the fact that people LIE ABOUT IT and I probably would come off as bragging or lying

-Julian

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yo you guys are awesome lol. Thanks for replying [emoji16]

-Julian

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If I did TKD in high school, I'd totally wear the t-shirts every day. It was the 80's, so I would have cut the sleeves off, too. And I would have invited some of my TKD friends to the school and done a kick butt demonstration for the school talent show. It would have been totally rad.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha well that's the way to do it. He is clearly lying though lol it is quite obvious. Innocent till proven guilty tho haha

-Julian

Well here is the thing, some Kung Fu schools follow the traditional CMA path and more than a few CMA's don't have belts in the traditional system. Boxing also doesn't have belts. Certificates are far from Universal as well. If I chose to actually test in Wing Chun I would get a certificate and a belt because TWC does include them BUT I would not get a certificate or Belt in Kali until level 10 (Black) and then the various levels of Red Belt/Guro.

Since I have yet to test in WC due to a focus on Kali and the logistics of me having to go the Mother School to test (we only test in Kali at our school) I currently would have no belt or certificate to show you. Heck there are two Kali Black sashes in my school, one of whom is in his 20's and has studied his entire life (the Guro is his father) who have never taken a WC test. Being in my mid 40's I feel like I don't have to prove anything to anyone anymore. I will demonstrate stuff with friends and co-workers, but that is about the extent of it. If someone wants me to "prove" I study martial arts, in a social setting, I will tell them to pound sand and if they don't get the hint tell them that if they want "proof" they know what to do but it will end with them feeling a bit of pain and then getting arrested for initiating an assault. I just don't have time for such immaturity. I said "in a social setting" because of course there are times I do have to prove it, such as if I participate in a competition.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

-Julian

Does anyone else find it odd that a 16 year old says "I dedicate my life to my training". That said skilled in a Martial art is NOT the same as being skilled in fighting.

Latest Discussions