How often i am gonna get kicked in the nuts if i join a martial arts class?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just in case OP is actually serious and not a troll....

In real life, not very often. You probably will have it happen once in a while by accident. I was doing BJJ the other day and there was a guy who accidentally kneed his partner during a takedown. In striking styles, somebody might throw a kick wrong sometimes and hit you there. But real life isn't like Master Ken's show - people don't actually practice "stomp the groin" techniques in class with a partner.

OP
M

Muay2Thai

White Belt
Reaction score
That is a pro atlethe.I wouldn't need to ever worry about needing a cup if i was kicked by that guy,even if i a had a cup on.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find that a good, full force kick to the groin makes students bow deeper when they bow in to class...

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I will be perfectly frank wth you TS. I have been inhibited from sparring full-on due to the dangers of getting my nuts cracked. I don't wear a cup.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would say if he/she is so worried about it, then get a cup. Hopefully then they will start training and figure out it is not as big a deal as they thought.

I you swing a baseball bat at a cup, you will still feel it. It's not a miracle tool. A leg is the equivalent of a human baseball bat.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I you swing a baseball bat at a cup, you will still feel it. It's not a miracle tool. A leg is the equivalent of a human baseball bat.
Usually not. Especially in the context of sparring. If it is you have done something really wrong.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Usually not. Especially in the context of sparring. If it is you have done something really wrong.

Then why are fighters in excruciating pain getting kicked hit in the balls despite wearing one

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then why are fighters in excruciating pain getting kicked hit in the balls despite wearing one
I has happened to most seasoned fighters/MAists. But comparing it to a baseball bat when referring to every single incident of getting hit in the balls is just foolish.
Believe me, if you teach kids or train in a kicking style you Will get kicked in the balls enough for a degree of hardening.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends. Where my son competes the groin is a legal target. So the school trains them as a counter to your opponents kicks.

Couple a years ago around Christmas my son and his sparring partner devised a new sparring game...Jingle Balls where only groin kicks score.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends. Where my son competes the groin is a legal target. So the school trains them as a counter to your opponents kicks.

Couple a years ago around Christmas my son and his sparring partner devised a new sparring game...Jingle Balls where only groin kicks score.
In the groin legal in his tourney competitions?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes. So groin kicks are pretty common. But you learn to protect your boys pretty fast..

Groin was always a legal target at tournaments back in the day. At least on the East Coast. And if you're a kicker, you should know how to protect it. Always used to tell my students, "next time you take a shower, stand in front of a mirror in your room and throw a slow, high kick before you get dressed. That shows you how open you are."

Another thing, men is this country have been taught and conditioned to believe a hard groin strike temporarily ends you. Don't buy into that hype. It can hurt like hell, sure. Just like everything else.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wear a cup in Judo and Karate, because accidents do happen.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Groin was always a legal target at tournaments back in the day. At least on the East Coast.
The West Coast as well. But even back then, not many chose to target the groin. Most competitors were head hunters and/or reverse punchers so trained for that. If they did go low, it was usually a feint to score those other shots.

The groin was a favorite target of mine and an effective point scorer. I used a simple front snap kick, stepping in (or two in quick succession) with little/no set up. Just threw it at the right time. I sometimes followed up with punches, but they were often unneeded. I saw more guys doubled over from head strikes or hard body kicks than kicks to the groin.

Dojo sparring was a different matter as we saw the groin as a prime target area. I was most worried working with little kids. Almost impossible to see a low kick launched from someone three feet tall! :jawdrop:

D

Deleted member 48484

Do i really gonna need a cup?How much those absorb the impact,i heard that after a few kicks they can breake.
I won't buy a new cup every month

In 22 years of martial arts I have only once been kicked in the nuts (kind of) and could walk it off.

Besides, it does not require a lot of power to make a kick in the nuts a bad experience you know :D

Latest Discussions