Kali/arnis/escrima in austin texas?

Hiiiiiiiii

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I'm completely new to martial arts. I can't figure out the difference between kali arnis and escrima because everyone says something different, but I want to learn one and I'm not sure how to go about looking for a place to go.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have worked with PAMA (Patterson MA's) and Sayoc in North Austin is affiliated. It should be a good program but the proof will be in trying it out.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I'm completely new to martial arts. I can't figure out the difference between kali arnis and escrima because everyone says something different, but I want to learn one and I'm not sure how to go about looking for a place to go.
Kali eskrima arnis samething it dependence whose the instructor and what he name it and whose his guro.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To clarify a little bit, "Kali", "Escrima", and "Arnis" are generic names for various Filipino martial arts - much like "Kung Fu" can refer to anything from Wing Chun to Choy Li Fut or "Karate" can refer to anything from Kyokushin to Goju Ryu. Individual styles of Kali/Escrima/Arnis would be things like Pekiti Tersia or Modern Arnis or Sayoc Kali or Doce Pares.

From what I've seen, these various styles do have pretty much the same underlying principles. The differences are regional or familial variations in preferred range/teaching methodology/terminology/etc. You'll be better served by selecting a school based on the skill and teaching ability of the instructor rather than by the specific style of FMA.

Latest Discussions