how often do you train?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, seems to me, no matter what you name a child, someone will get a derisive nickname out of it at some point. Willow is a good one. If I wasn't all fixed and stuff, I'd name my next one Willow, boy or a girl.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You're right, it's almost impossible to find a name that won't get abused. Of course some names are worse than others.

For instance, my wife wanted to name our son "Jack" ... I think we both know where that would get him. lol

She likes names I hate and vice-versa. She likes names like Malachai, Jeremiah, that sort of Biblical thing. I like names like Summer, which she assures me is only good for hippies and strippers.

It took us as long to decide on names for the kids as it did for the kids themselves to gestate. But I think it worked out okay.

dang it! We've derailed another thread! ... But, hey, it's not like I'm a Mentor or anything. Then I'd feel really bad. heh heh

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
whoops...
Actually, I MEANT to say that, since my wife and kids have rejoined class, they've also begun working out (to some degree) with me. I'll do weights on my own, typically; but, they join me for basics and kata about half the time.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Then you're a lucky guy, Egg. I wish I'd had more foresight.

It's odd, I guess I was naive. I had trained so hard for so long and all my friends were martial artists that I never considered that all ppl didn't want to stay in shape or certainly that I'd ever cut back on my own training.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish it had something to do with foresight, Navarre. It's just joss that I married someone that had an interest and a couple of kids that liked Jackie Chan. I mean, I didn't really get involved until just recently and I'm 44. Though, I must say, as long as I do what I'm responsible for re: my family, nothing will get in the way of class.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Wasn't there a topic here?

Thhhhtttpppt...big raspberry to you. We're back on topic now; talking about how often we train in conjunction with other duties. So, neaner-neaner.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Hey...I derailed it and I got it back on the line. So, :p

Navarre said:
Thhhhtttpppt...big raspberry to you.

LOL. Since you both train about 3 days a week, you have plenty of time to get a room...:p

'Course, non of us are as young as Sam anymore. If I trained 6 days a week, I think body parts would start flying off.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
'Course, non of us are as young as Sam anymore. If I trained 6 days a week, I think body parts would start flying off.

Yeah, for sure. I used to hop out of bed in the morning and go train. Now I creak out of bed very slowly and after about 10 minutes manage to sit.

I wish I was as young as Sam again. Then again, I'd still be too old for the young lady 'cause she'd be negative three (-3) yrs old! How sad that women I fancy now aren't even half my age. [oops. Derail alert!]

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, thanx for the slap on the wrist. My point (vague though it was) is that the amount that we train is also dependent on age.

It's harder for me to physically move and so harder to stay motivated. It has bearing on how often and how intensely I train.

(Yeah, that's all I meant to say. That's all.)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
It's harder for me to physically move and so harder to stay motivated. It has bearing on how often and how intensely I train.

Actually, though I'm pretty much the same way (creaky) I refuse to drop my intensity and motivation actually rises. Unfortunately, so does the frustration level.

OP
JC2005

JC2005

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well as long as your exercising at all your doing a lot better then like 97% of america lol, I dont have to worry about physical hardships yet I'm only 16 lol oh well I'm really glad I joined this forum. alright thanks guys for replying to my question

JC2005:)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You're quite welcome, JC. It gave a lot of us something to think about.

I think the answer is that all of us train as often as our lives permit and train as hard as we can when we do work out. ... When we aren't working out, apparently we're all here posting. lol

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
as for summer being a hippie and stripper name

I'm a hippie by heritage and my 3 sisters are or have been exotic dancers

Our given names:

Samantha Helen (yuck)
Jessica Elise
Elizabeth Ann (original, right?)
Amanda Joy

and their stage names:
Danielle
Jade
Alexis

And back on topic - to the thread starter - keep training as much as you can. Looking at my various instructors, those who started young and continued to train as they got older are more flexible, stronger, and faster than they were at our age - and especially moreso than those who 'retired' so to speak and mostly just teach.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've recently noticed a conundrum in my training. Being, as I said, 44, I occasionally get the odd sharp pain in my back. I will call this pain, 'pulling my back out'. Sometimes it's just a bother and sometimes, it's nearly debilitating. Yesterday, I 'pulled it out' in my shoulder area. Apercreme and Tiger Balm and unsure of going to class, not wanting to aggravate it. I went anyways. Well, by the time class was over, my shoulder actually felt considerably better. Tiger Balmed it, anyways, cause the smell irritates the kids in my house.

I suppose babying my shoulder, as I have in the past, would've stretched out the time it seriously hurt. Training, on top of the pain, reduced the pain. This time. Consistent training is the key, perhaps?

Latest Discussions