How many schools and how many instructors?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm currently at the second school I have attended. I started at one school that was heavy self-defense and teaching the full art. While there I took some sparring classes at the school that my instructor trains at. Currently, I'm at a different school which is much more 'old school sport', if you will, which is not really my first desire, but I'm learning a lot from it and it's a lot of fun.

One thing running through my mind in all this is that this is not the end point of my training. This is just another chapter and before it's all done I will probably have trained with several instructors at several schools with different focii and teaching style and emphasis. The sum total of my training will be what I can assemble, woven together from the various people I have trained with and under.

Is this true? Does this make sense? How many instructors and schools have you trained with over your time in Taekwondo and what do you take from them and how does it come together into who you are today?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am at a school where my instructor is a direct student of Huk Planas. What I get from Mr. Hogan, is coming from Mr. Planas. I also have the opportunity to take private lessons with Mr. Planas when he is in town.

As far as Ed Parker's American Kenpo, that is one of the more reputable lineages around, I think. I can really think of no reason to move away from this school and instructor within the American Kenpo system.

If, at some point in the future, I wanted to expand into a different system, I might look for another school/instructor.

Lastly, I would like to say that I carefully planned at which school I was going to study. However, I was just lucky. We picked a number out of the phone book. I consider that choice incredibly serindipitous.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe that if your crosstraining yields positive results then why not?

If you cut yourself off from possible learning oppotunities you're only hurting yourself. As an instructor I encourage students to explore the world of MA. Our schools have an open door policy as well. We don't turn anyone away that wishes to train with us (as long as the sign the waiver, LOL) As a matter of fact, we're brokering a deal with some JKD guys in town to work together a bit. A fellow by the name of Dan Mills (some JKD guys may know him, he trained with Larry Hartsell.)

As SGM Ed Parker stated, "..keep your mind open, like a parachute.." Our philosophy is if it works...use it. If you can show me something I don't know and it works...I'll steal it and add it to our curriculum! LOL. Likewise, I'm willing to share any knowlege I have if it will help out a fellow Martial Artist. =)

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One TKD school, two different instructors. Three if you count the temporary instructor that was there last summer.

I have taken some JiuJitsu and boxing classes, but my base is still in TKD.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I should clarify that the reason I am at the second school is because of a temporary relocation for jobs reasons. If I end up back in my original city I will very likely end up with my fist instructor again, and in fact would like that to happen.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep, training under diferent people and styles can be benficial. me myself have had only three instructors which I claim: my father, GrandMaster Kim and Master Kim, everybody else was just here for an occasional training session.
Terry

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

I have been training in martial arts and the martial sciences for a number of years. Experience ranging from Taekwon-Do to Group Tactical Maneuvers. That being said I have trained with many instructors across the board.

Regarding Taekwon-Do...

The foundation of my training was forged by the instruction of my father. I trained in Taekwon-Do under him souly for approximately 10 years (on and off in different capacities). His training is completely combat relavant (offense and defense) as oppossed to "self defense". His instruction is along these lines based on the fact that it was not "public" instruction and his training came via military during war.

I have then trained on a semi regular basis at two other schools. There is one that primarily focuses on competitions ("sport karate" NASKA style patterns and point sparring). The other is also a public dojang that teaches Taekwon-Do from a fairly traditional standpoint (in a modern sense)...there are State Olympic Style Champions, National Point Style Champions, traditional Patterns, step sparring, free sparring, knife defense, etc. This is not a hard line school but is still traditional (that was my reference to "Modern Traditional")

Regardless, I have been able to take away different things from each that are of great assistance to the other. From my father I have learned that there is no need to be scared of getting hit as that is part of fighting. From the competition based school I have been able to learn alot of things regarding angles, faints, etc. which can be very useful in combat...and from the third I can readily see the tenets of Taekwon-Do and the spirit of the art minus the martial...Taekwon-Do for old, young, rich, poor, happy, sad...Taekwon-Do for Life!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My current dojang, there is two main instructors (the master instructor and the senior instructor). I have also trained in another TKD dojang (Mcdojang) with a few instructors. Two were good, so to speak, but the master instructor had a huge ego.

Plus I have cross trained in Judo, and jujitsu (currently). And My first style was Tang Soo Do. The only reason I stopped training there is because I moved. If I ever get the chance to move back, I will more than likely end up there again (I still train there when I visit family in NJ).

I learned a lot from each style/instructor, even the McDojang. I just put the things I learn in my "tool box."

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had one instructor, one school, but I started at age 47. But I can see the advantage of having alot of different instructors, you would become well-rounded. You would see different teaching strategies. You would have different strengths. You would have different sparring partners, different equipment possibly. Your teacher might be better at sparring or just a better human being. Your instructor might even be impartial. I would go to another school right now, except that they do alot of tumbling. At 56, this body isn't going to do cartwheels. Also there is politics involved. And I would lose my teaching seniority as if I have any right now. TW

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've trained in 3 different dojangs. First one is UCDavis taekwondo club, i like the instructor alot, but the classes were HUGE, and being a white belt, we are very much neglected. He separates the class into higher and lower belts, and we just didn't get much attention. But when you do get attention, he is very good.

The 2nd school is a total mcdojo, it was summer time, i was a summer intern in SF, so i took that class. Instructions wasn't bad, but I always feel like if you pay them they'll promote you.. not a good feeling.

3rd is my current school. I ABSOLUTELY love it, but maybe Ive matured alot since then, and I'm more serious about the art now then ever. I train about 4-5 times a week, and I get different instructors depending on the day/time.
I'm really enjoying this now. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I trained obsessively for several years in Capoeira. Before that, I had a background for several years in Kenpo, with a dabbling of Judo. Even while training Capoeira, I knew in the back of my mind that I would train in other arts. I LOVED Capoeira. Couldn't get enough of it. But I still knew I would go eventually.

Eventually I did go. I have been training in the Chinese arts for about 8 years now. I kept connected to Capoeira for a while after making the shift, but eventually that stopped.

Now, I sometimes go back and play some Capoeira again. In addition, I have made an effort to practice my Kenpo more regularly. Funny how some things go in a circle...

Anyway, I understand what you are saying. Follow your own path, it's not uncommon.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
To answer the first questions, yes it's true, and yes it makes sense.

I began my Tae Kwon Do when I began college, and I got lucky with the style, and the instructor. I tried one of the other Tae Kwon Do classes on the side, taught by a less experienced WTF instructor who ran it mostly like a cardio-kickboxing class. I mostly stuck with that one for a few weeks to meet more girls.

Also during that time, I tried about 10 weeks of escrima, and 6 weeks of krav maga (because that's as long as those classes went for).

About a year ago, I moved to a different city and have been mostly self-training since then (read: been slackin'). A little more than a week ago, I've begun training at a new school (new to me anyways, the school's been there for a while). The class I'm taking is primarily boxing and muay thai, but has lots of other things added in from the instructor's experience. This school specializes in training security officers and preparing people for various law enforcement academies.

Every time I change environments and instructors, I've had to change the way I do things, and ignore some of what I've learned before. But eventually, I'm able to start putting it all together.

Latest Discussions