WTF new rules?

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I heard that next year in olympic tkd they are going to reduce our padding, and give the competitors gloves, i think he also said we'll be able to throw, has anyone else heard this or am i dreaming? lol.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just one of many rumors.

This year at USAT tourney's gloves and socks will be optional.

Hogu, helmet, cup, shin, arm pads are basically the same with the exception of color.

New elbow and knee pads are optional.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to see the addition of foot sweeps at the bare minimum...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Does this mean they're going to start allowing punches to the head, or merely that they're going to acknowledge punches to the torso more often?

Suppose to start allowing control punches to the head in 2007, as of now torso will start to be a point.
Terry

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
My understanding is that the gloves and socks are the precursor equipment for electronic scoring. Eventually the hogu will be wired to register a point when hit sufficiently hard by the opposing color (that way you don't lose points if you hit yourself by accident) glove or sock. This supposedly will make scoring more fair and matches more exciting.

Miles

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Miles, yes, that's the same with what I heard, as far as the hogu being wired and all.

I heard that they WILL allow punches to the head (reasoning for the gloves). SWEET! I can't wait ... I hope it's not just a rumor ...

Anyways, this is the first I heard of the sock thing though.

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
Eventually the hogu will be wired to register a point when hit sufficiently hard by the opposing color (that way you don't lose points if you hit yourself by accident) glove or sock. This supposedly will make scoring more fair and matches more exciting.

Miles

I have heard this rumor before...will there be a sensor in the glove and sock also though...because if not, you could hit the target with your shin or knee and still get a point...also, will you be able to calibrate the intensity of the kick so that people who do not kick as hard (low belts compared to high belts) will still get points?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Slippery_Pete said:
I have heard this rumor before...will there be a sensor in the glove and sock also though...because if not, you could hit the target with your shin or knee and still get a point...also, will you be able to calibrate the intensity of the kick so that people who do not kick as hard (low belts compared to high belts) will still get points?

Yes, it is my (albeit limited) understanding that there will be sensors in the socks and gloves. I am not sure about the calibration but it makes sense that we would not require a 12 yr old yellow belt to have to generate the same amount of impact as a 22yr old middleweight black belt.

Miles

OP
L

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jamming kicks you mean for instance "if i did a round kick at your hogo...you would jam me which means i cant score on you" if that's what you mean, we've been doing that for years lol.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Laborn said:
Jamming kicks you mean for instance "if i did a round kick at your hogo...you would jam me which means i cant score on you" if that's what you mean, we've been doing that for years lol.

"Jamming kicks" means using your foot or leg to prevent your opponent from getting their foot into a position to even throw a kick in the first place. Every WTF black belt I've ever spoken to has told me that doing this isn't legal in competition. Likewise, they've all also told me that you can't check a kick with your legs either.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I'm reading this correctly, what you're (both) saying is that it's legal to jam a kick by kicking in the chest to stop the opponents rotation in mid kick but it's illegal to jam a kick by kicking at the leg/hip?

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here's my two cents.

You'll always be able to rush an opponent as long as your not grabbing or pushing. What you can't really do is actively block with your leg (refs call).

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
If I'm reading this correctly, what you're (both) saying is that it's legal to jam a kick by kicking in the chest to stop the opponents rotation in mid kick but it's illegal to jam a kick by kicking at the leg/hip?
The key to your statement is your target. If the ref knows your going after the leg they penalize you if he can construe that it was in the exchange of techniques and the intended target was the lower ab or back no call (9 out of 10 times).

Latest Discussions