how many of you integrate martial arts

how many integrate martial arts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mhouse

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kempo, by it's nature, is an integration of different arts with some new stuff added in. However, after black belt, in my school, we start adding Kung Fu forms, Shotokan forms, tai chi exercises, and concepts from other systems.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes we do. Alot of the people at my school like to use aikido techniques for knife defends. We do alot of boxing, about 50%. I like the aikido techniques, they are very purdy, however I have noticed that they dont work to well unless the person attacking is fully commited to there attack, if someone held the knife upside down and would stick and move those techniques would be rough to execute. I do enjoy learning them though. We also have a Wing Chun wooden dummy in our basement, even though know one knows Wing Chun at our dojo, we have it anyway just for shts and giggles.
We had a judo black belt that came in often, that was cool. I learned alot from him. He tought us all about using your hips to toss someone. Im about the only person who is really into the ju jitsu though.

S

Scout_379

though it's not neccessary in my school, I try to incorporate different concepts into my own training.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ppko said:
just wandering if you integrate (put together) different martial arts I know I do

Yes The Martial Arts are Ment to go to gether
Just as we all have 2 arms 2 legs A head.

By combinding Martial Arts I have had Sucsess
In 3 combat Sports NHB/MMA , Ju Jitsu (Kumite) & Grappling.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yes I myself started out in Karate and Judo swicth to TKD I always find myself integrating the two together, we must never limit ourself must always be looking for improvement... GOD BLESS AMERICA

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
our school is founded in ninjutsu but has some integrated techniques. we feel that one must be adept in all areas.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
uumm.........

yep
icon10.gif

grappling_mandala

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me I think that I have integrated each of the arts i have studied in so far as translating general sets of principles and tools into multiple ranges.

I try to translate general principles by looking thru core body motion versus the peripheriferal specifics of any technique or stylization. It's fun to train in different styles, but in fighting even style must adapt.

I train BJJ and have played alive with friends a lot, trained traditional jiu jitsu, small circle, judo, etc. I also continue to study and practice gung fu / chi gung and I see myself gravitating towards internal systems such as tai chi ba gua xing yi yi quan etc. I really love the use of the hands in the traditional system of mantis kung fu as well. I successfully employ mantis tactics with my hands/arms all the time in BJJ. Stylized definitions play no part in my integration process. Whether or not I can get anyspecific tool or technique to work has everything to do with my integration process.

What I have been finding is that technique and style encompass an area of peripheral events in relationship to a center. These events are defined by situation and personality. These peripheral events of energy exchange are initated by specific core movements that are centered in the hips.

The more peripheral the event the farther it reaches from the center. As these events define themselves I must keep my core mechanics harmonized by maintaining postural organization of the whole, even if my opponent is in discord, I try to build upon core organization enabling a multitude of possibilities inside of all the possibile directions. This organization takes place within the flux of attack and defense, thru the connective points that transpire between opponents and earth. These points of contact, when movement occurs, are completely delineated by spheres and spirals.

For me I'm finding that there are general core geometrics to mechanics that replicate themselves thru the body. These mechanics externalize themselves as peripheral events and are replicated both micro and macro cosmically.

This is a high level overview. I can give specifics of techniques if anyone is actually interested in any of this madness.

Learn as much as you can from every person you find that has some truth. Truth does not contradict itself. I believe 100% that all arts live on common ground in the landscape of kinesthetic space.

My .03 for your concideration.

Dave in Oregon

K

KempoJoe

Our school incorporates Kosho ryu Kempo with Kungfu, jiu-jitsu, Escrima/Knife w/grappling, and w/what works. I think its a good thing to incorporate and keep mind open..

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The art I study and teach is by its nature one that is always looking for different ways of doing things. All learning is good, we may just never use some of it oursleves.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess you could say I do...

But I don't really think of it that way, I do one thing, "Martial Arts" I just happen to draw from any source that has something I find useful to offer.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been trained in the mentallity that I use martial arts to improve my self defense ability so I don't so much train 'in a martial art' but train for self defense. I have a base art/system but will incorporate/integrate other artistic elements to round out the game plan.

I take kind of the "McGuyver" view on martial arts/self defense training:

Firearms, first aid, martial arts systems, driving, fitness, cooking, carpentry, .... learn it all with a hungry mind because you never know when some obscure piece of knowledge will be the difference between living or not. Besides, it keeps life interesting, keeps you mentally sharp and generally improves the quality of life - isn't that the highest conceptual goal of martial arts training?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you need to intergrate martial arts...but sometimes i think people get the wrong impression of what this is. integrating martial arts is not...i took a month of aikido, so let's move on to tai chi chaun...and maybe some kali next...you need to spend serious time practicing an art...that way you'll be in a good position to know what works for you and doesn't..

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
People have been cross-pollinating systems for hundreds of years (probably thousands), I don't see any reason to stop that now.

Unless you're practicing that incredible system, The One Twue Way (trademark pending).

A note on moving from one art to the next as mentioned by bignick: Most people do this to get the flavor of an art, not so they can be dilettantes. If one art doesn't suit them, they move on in search of one that does.

I tell people that come to my school to dabble in the beginning so they can find the art (or instructor, for that matter) that has the greatest emotional impact on them. Most have no idea what they want to take, and really don't even know what questions to ask. By trying each art out, they can find those arts that suit them best. Just today I had a young man call to say he was going to train in nothing but Judo. He liked it the best of all the systems he'd tried here.

I suspect it is the rare person that is the "jack of all trades, master of none" we all talk about. If one is concerned such a person will open a school...let him. He'll have to stand on his own merits at that point.

Regards,

Steve

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
I take kind of the "McGuyver" view on martial arts/self defense training:

Firearms, first aid, martial arts systems, driving, fitness, cooking, carpentry, .... learn it all with a hungry mind because you never know when some obscure piece of knowledge will be the difference between living or not. Besides, it keeps life interesting, keeps you mentally sharp and generally improves the quality of life - isn't that the highest conceptual goal of martial arts training?
I agree with this BIG TIME... While I responded in an earlier post as to my MA-specific cross training, I liked Paul's statement enough to jump in again and add
an "amen". I would also throw wilderness survival knowledge/experience into the mix. I don't think you can have too many different "arrows in your quiver"
when it comes to being able to take care of yourself in varying and often unexpected situations. And, as Paul said, it makes life more interesting and does keep you sharp AND confident.

MT

M

Mark Weiser

Sounds as if I am in the correct business lol. I teach combat survival in dealing with violent encounters this may or may not be in a city or on the street but in the woods while hiking or camping. You have to prepare for anything and I hope I can spread the knowledge.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am glad that all of you have replied, I wish that some of the people that do not integrate would also reply and explain the reason they do not.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At my dojo we incorporate almost everything for example when I go for my green belt in December, I have to know these things:
Spinning hook Kick, Twisting front kick, Standing Placement of Side Kick at waist level, Standing placement of turning kick at waist level,
Spear hand
For body conditioning - punch for punch in the stomack, body slaps, Forearm checking drill, leg checking drill, blocking, leg checking drill, blending.
Patterns - Do-San Hyung.
Nerves- Gallbladder 31, Gall bladder 32, Spleen 10, Liver 9, Bladder 37.
Drills - Four Post Drill
Finger locks - Full finger lock, First Knuckle lock, cigar lock, cuticle squeeze, Two finger lock control
Wrist Locks - Bent arm, Cut down, Arm grab(inside and out), Goose neck, Inside wrist lock.
Ground work (grappling) - Side top hold, Releases from side tope hold, bridging, backwards break falls etc etc
Sparring - combinations - parry drills, small pad drills

As you can see it is quite varied, that's what makes it so much fun and interesting.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Professor Kano's first rules he drew up for judo included the promise

I shall never betray the secrets of the school to the uninitiated and only in extreme cases shall I take fighting lessons at another location
There were five points in total to follow...and it was signed by his students with their own blood...

even then Kano Sensei sent his senior students to train in other styles like karate and Ueshiba Sensei's Aikido...

Even someone that made his students sign a blood oath to train nowhere else knew how important it was to compliment your training with other arts...

Latest Discussions