Greetings everyone....(BJJ/MT cross Train???)

C

Conrad87

*I posted this in another forum...but I figured I'd get more responses here*

I am a total novice so please help me out here if you can.

I have no training in any Martial Art.

I have had my fair share of street fights growing up and have won more often than lost I guess I could say (basic street scraps between untrained fighters).

But I am going to be joining a local school in the next week or two. (Master Lloyd Irvin's school in Maryland) and it seems that they concentrate on BJJ and Thai Boxing.

I do understand that no matter what Art a person studies, the effectiveness usually comes down to that individuals abilities. As for me...I've always been pretty good with my hands but I really want to start with BJJ as my base style.

However, I would really like to have a balanced approach...and be able to maximize my striking ability and conditioning with Muay Thai also..

So I guess my question is....

would I be better off focusing solely on BJJ then later on incorporating Muay Thai...Or would it be ok for me to cross train right from the start with the two Arts?

Please help me....because I want to make sure I am spending my money wisely....

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off..Welcome to Martial Talk! Enjoy your stay! :ultracool

As for your question:

I agree with the person who replied in the other thread you posted. Many BJJ schools incorporate striking into the material they're teaching. As for taking on 2 arts. I have no problem with cross training. IMHO, its certianly not a bad thing to do. However, I'd wait until you have a solid base in one art before taking on a second.

Mike

OP
C

Conrad87

MJS said:
First off..Welcome to Martial Talk! Enjoy your stay! :ultracool

As for your question:

I agree with the person who replied in the other thread you posted. Many BJJ schools incorporate striking into the material they're teaching. As for taking on 2 arts. I have no problem with cross training. IMHO, its certianly not a bad thing to do. However, I'd wait until you have a solid base in one art before taking on a second.

Mike
Thanks..for your response..I am just pumped and excited about getting started...I will keep that in mind.

Latest Discussions