How many hours went into your BB?

faerie2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just curious, some people think in terms of years, but some train a couple of hours every single day, some train 1-2 days/week for an hour. Obviously, there is a big difference between training 300 or so hours/year and 50 hours/year.

I guess as a side question, how often do you train, BB or not?

Another student at my Dojang is a little cranky with me because I am promoted regularly (although, not a BB yet), and he is not - although I train 6 days/week and he's there maybe 2 days/month, HA!

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Timely question, I have been working out in the dojang for just over 21 months, an average of 3.5 days a week, so I guess that would put me around 300 dojang hrs. I'd say that at this rate probably a total of 400 to 450 dojang hrs, 6-9 mths , with below average coordination, but above average determination. Enjoy the journey

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it was two hours a day for 5 years and that was 5-6 days a week.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On average about 3 hours a day 5 days a week 6 hours on Saturday. Now this includes my teaching time as I include that as part of my training as well. If we are talking just physical training, then that would be average 1.5 hours 2-3 times during the week 2 hours on the weekend.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Classes were 2-2.5 hours a day & I'd go 3-4 days a week for 2.5 years before I tested for 1st Dan.

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Normally I train as I teach, so about 8 hours a week plus tournaments and seminars. About 400 hours a year for the required time to test in the WTF.

Thanks for the post, it's interesting to know how much we do. Time passes and we tend to forget about that.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jeez, my memory sucks....but this kind of sent me down memory lane, so it's pretty cool...

If my memory serves me correctly, I attended 3 1 hour classes per week for the first 2 years, then started doubling classes, so that would be 3 2 hour classes for the third year, and I would throw in extra days here and there along the way...so my number of hours isn't going to be exact...but I earned 1st dan in 3 years, so that's I'm going to round it to roughly 500 class hours...the number is actually higher, but 500 is the lowest number of class hours that I believe I attended.

Now, that's not counting the number of hours that I would go home and work out...I wasn't very popular in school, so I had plenty of time to work out at home, lol.

OP
F

faerie2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Normally I train as I teach, so about 8 hours a week plus tournaments and seminars. About 400 hours a year for the required time to test in the WTF.

Thanks for the post, it's interesting to know how much we do. Time passes and we tend to forget about that.

So there is an actual hour requirement for BB test that is somewhat universal?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
1.5 hours, 3 times per week, 4 weeks a month, 3 years thats about 648 hours in my BB, but we must add, seminars,some tournaments,some extra class hours so I guess we are talking about 700-750 hours.

Manny

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting question, let me do some maths! I took 4.5 years to BB.

In the first year I trained 2 x 2 hour sessions at the school & the same at home. In my second year, I did the same at the school + an extra session (mostly weekly) at another club for 2 hours + intenstified my home training for 2 x 2 hour solo sessions + 1 x 3 hour sessions weekly with a Karate Brown belt I knew.
Year 3/4 was the same as year 2 approx. And the last six months I trained 3 times at schools (2 hours) and every day not at training for 2/3 hours (3 times) and a weekend session with my brown (now black) belt mate for 3/4 hours.. so the maths:

year 1: 408 hours approx *
year 2: 658 hours approx *
year 3: 658 hours approx *
year 4: 658 hours approx *
year 4.5: 432 hours approx *
TOTAL: 2814 Hours (approx)

* I have excluded school weeks for Xmas periods (as they were shut) & gone with the lower hours on home training! I also used to do other personal, unscheduled training that I havnt included (ie. 30 minutes on the bag and some breaking etc.) and pop to other clubs on the run up to my BB. Oh and this doesnt include seminars, competitions, pre-gadings etc.

Stuart

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok here is the hours 3120 so it was like a job and I can finally say after forty year I know something.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I figure I've averaged 10 hours a week in class (student or instructor) or at home working on technique, every week, for 6 years. That converts to 3,120... which seems too high to me. There were weeks I was sick, weeks I had diamond-hard deadlines to meet, weeks when I didn't have the kind of aggessive adventurousness that training demands. So I'm cutting it in half. 1, 560 hours over the past six years is probably somewhere in the right-size ballpark.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
1 technique class, 1 hour sparring class, teach 3-6 hours per week, coach 2 hours per week. That's 7-10 hours per week in the dojang.

Conditioning 30-45 minutes 6 days a week. Forms practice 3 times a week for 30 to 60 minutes. Practicing techniques anouth 30 to 60 minutes 3 times a week. That's 6 to 12 hours a week outside of class. I'm doing some form of training every day...at elast an hour, usually more. \

This has been my schedule for a couple of years now (before and after my last dan test).

Peace,
Erik

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
it was two hours a day for 5 years and that was 5-6 days a week.
this is also true for me as well.
icon12.gif

5 days a week x 2hrs a day = 10hrs a week
10 hrs a week x 52 weeks = 520 hrs a year(not including special training,seminars,ect)

520 hrs a year x 2 years = 1040 hrs to get my blackbelt:erg:

Then bump that to 4 hrs a day since 1999, being an instructor I get alot of training.

1995-1998 = 2080hrs
1999-2008 = 9360hrs

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
1.5 hours, 3 times per week, 4 weeks a month, 3 years thats about 648 hours in my BB, but we must add, seminars,some tournaments,some extra class hours so I guess we are talking about 700-750 hours.

Manny

I have to make a correction so please forgive me for the info above.

1.5 hours 3 times a week= 4.5 hours a week.
4.5 hours x 52 weeks= 234 hours per year.
234 hours per 4 years= 936 hours.

Now it was 936 hours of only training, I need to add seminars,some toornaments (not many) and 100 hours I have to assit sambunim to imart class (that was a requiement from red belt to black belt).

So I would say that the hours involved from day one to BB examniation where around 1,050-1100 hours, not much but remeber at this point is only begginin.

Manny

Latest Discussions