How many and differances in Shaolin Kempo

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ghost-I am doing the snake test this Saturday, and I'll probably do the Leopard/Panther test next year, but after hearing about the $500 price tag for the dragon test, no way I'm doing that one.

David-It's a martial arts festival at the disneyland hotel, there will be a tournament and also clinics and workshops, including one by Ed Parker Jr which I imagine will be on EPAK

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Ninja, I had no idea that place existed, seems I have a lot more options than I thought.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow- they really need some corrections, although I did not see a way to email them..

They say Professor Chow dies in his 50's (he died at the age of 73- 1914-1987) and incorrectly list the names of Professor's art.

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dianhsuhe, their hole history is a con, do you notice they call everything they can "Ch'uan Fa" so they can "trace" it back to the shaolin temple. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but it looks like they just reprinting USSD's old history line. USSD has revised thier's to inlcude Empardo and Gascon, but still leave out Villari.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
It's true. I guess having times, and pictures, with real monks is proof that they are connected
icon12.gif
. Also, How did Cynthia Rothrock end up with them?

They're getting worse and worse.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pretty interesting... The kempo branches indeed have many sides to each argument when it comes to lineage or dates etc. but certain items are not really debatable like when Professor died, or what he called his art at different times. The "Chuan Fa" part is interesting although not having a real accurate definition between that and kempo I would not want to argue that.

When I was at USSD the lineage was Mattera, Cerio, Professor Chow. They have updated or changed it?

To my knowledge Professor Chow never referred to his art as Chuan Fa although USSD called it that even before they started visiting and sponsoring the Shaolin temple and all that.

Some times I think I should train more and be on these forums less ;)

James

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Okay- I went to the USSD site and flipped through the history. They do indeed add a couple of links to the lineage.

I am not really concerned about the Shaolin Abbott promoting them or them using the Shaolin name, as much as I am concerned about the flimsy link to Professor Chow. Cerio may have been a great martial artist in his own right but he only trained for a few weeks with Professor Chow. So the oil on canvas painting showing Professor Chow standing behind Cerio who is next to Mattera just seems wrong to me...

It should be a picture showing Sijo Gascon, GM Pesare, and GM Cerio and at the bottom say "Commissioned by Charles Mattera".

Just my .02

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Absolutely right. They have NO link to Professor Chow! NONE! Villari was their teacher (Demasco nad Mattera) up 'til 7th degrees, I believe? before the break off, and them linking, briefly to GM Cerio, before, he cut them off. Completely shoddy!

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I saw that painting of Chow, Cerio and Mattera in person. Funny thing was I was afraid to ask who the guy above cerio was suppose to be because around that time, 1997, I found Gascon's webpage and asking my instructor a plethora of questions and he had no idea who Gascon was, even going as far as saying he was lying about creating the forms. LOL

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Okay- I went to the USSD site and flipped through the history. They do indeed add a couple of links to the lineage.

I am not really concerned about the Shaolin Abbott promoting them or them using the Shaolin name, as much as I am concerned about the flimsy link to Professor Chow. Cerio may have been a great martial artist in his own right but he only trained for a few weeks with Professor Chow. So the oil on canvas painting showing Professor Chow standing behind Cerio who is next to Mattera just seems wrong to me...

It should be a picture showing Sijo Gascon, GM Pesare, and GM Cerio and at the bottom say "Commissioned by Charles Mattera".

Just my .02

Or go for the full line of Mitose > Chow > Emparado > Gascon > Presare > Cerio > Villari > Mattera

That's alot of people to draw

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was actually done by a student at the time when USSD had the major gaps in the lineage and who were using the Ch'uan Fa word game. So to the guy who drew it, it made perfect sense.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah it is not a big deal but when the lineage is changed or modified, it is like altering history... Makes me weary-

Interesting thread however---

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hope this answers your question about Rothrock and ussd.

KFC: What prompted you to open your new teaching facility in

Latest Discussions