How long does it take you to learn patterns?

Tiger-eye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've met some people who love patterns and learn them easily and others who take forever to learn them. Which type are you? I train in itf Tkd, I learned juche in less than 45 minutes. Not the first time I've done this. Now I can keep working on improving it.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I memorized all 3 wing chun forms inside of a month. Now doing them the way they are SUPPOSED to be done...well, that is where the lifelong journey part comes in. :)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maist25 has a good point, patterns are only step one. It's not always easy to remember patterns and sometimes it's not in a specific pattern. Practicing it many times is how I remember patterns. Yet you also have to use proper stances and techniques

OP
T

Tiger-eye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh I know. I personally like memorizing it then working on it to improve it and fully understand each move vs attempting to learn one move a day but making that move perfect before moving on.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've met some people who love patterns and learn them easily and others who take forever to learn them. Which type are you? I train in itf Tkd, I learned juche in less than 45 minutes. Not the first time I've done this. Now I can keep working on improving it.

I'm going to disagree with your statement. I really doubt that you learned Juche in 45 minutes. You may well have learned the sequence of movements that are found in juche, but there is far more to the tul than that.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many Moons ago when the earth was still cooling and Dinosaurs roamed (OK, maybe not that long) I think it was part of my Red Belt test where we had to teach a junior a new form . I am sure it was nothing Like Ju Che, maybe the 24 moves of Do San. We were given about 10 minutes and then judged by how well our "student" did. I was abkle to get the student to go thru all the moves. After that it probably only took a few hundred repetitions for him to do a decent job, and as long as 30 years later I was still learning to correct mistakes i was making.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Takes me a while to get them, but that's because I watch ahead and practice at home :p

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even after 30+ years I'm back working on the first one. 45 minutes? You've left me way behind.
:asian:

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you think you can learn any form in 45 minutes, you're missing the point of forms.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was a gup student, toward the end of class our master would have everyone sit down. He'd call the yellow belts up & perform their poomsae, then sit down. He'd have each belt group stand & perform their form in front of everyone then sit down. We did this regularly, even on nights we worked on forms during class. By the time I became a BB, I was told, "I'm only going to show you Koryo one time, and you will perform it." I'd see Koryo in detail so often for so long, it was like a rite of passage to only be shown it once. My master helped me fine tune Koryo often, but he only showed it to me once.

Years later, Master Earl Weiss showed me Juche at different school. He was patient, and it took many more times for me to get it.

I've found that older I get, the more patient I am with myself when learning new forms. Thank God for youtube & books with better photos than the ones we had in my younger days.

Learning the movements can sometimes be done quickly. But really learning the form can take a lot longer.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Years later, Master Earl Weiss showed me Juche at different school. He was patient, and it took many more times for me to get it.

I've often thought, I'd love to see ITF forms performed in true Kukkiwon style (i.e. without the zigzagging and sine wave stepping). A decent forms practitioner (GM Kang Ik Pil would be ideal).

When I see the ITF forms the ITF-ness jumps out at me and puts me off examining the form, I'd like to see it without that so I could judge the movements in the forms for themselves.

Don't mean to offend anyone with the above, if I have...

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
A form is (maybe) "Learned" on different levels. The most basic level is to step in a certain direction, perform a certain technique while finishing in a certain stance. Next might be more attention to the technical accuracy of the move, then add more realistic speed and power, and once that can be done on almost a subconcsious level realizing that the textbook purpose is just one in a possible 360 degree spectrum of no modifications to larger modifications allowing the technique to be utilized for all sorts of situations limited only by practical considerations.

Latest Discussions