How Long Are Your Tests?

K

Kirk

In your various schools, when you test for a new belt, what are
you tested on?

In my school, we're tested on everything from white on up to
the belt your testing for. It should make for one LOOOOOOONG
black belt test!!! I can't even imagine!!!!

OP
S

Sanddragon

Kirk,
That is true in several of the schools that I know of, however many of these schools only do a lot of there forms and techniques on one side. So even though they cover material from white until the belt being tested for time is going to vary.

Wow sorry about that, took a long way say that it depends on how much material is covered from each belt and how much if not everything is required for the new belt. :asian:

OP
J

Jill666

Each test I have been in, the format is different. One test took only two hours, the back belt test was five hours long. :anic: I have only tested at my current school, so have no knowlege of how it goes down elsewhere.

A note, all of my tests except one have been, er, well, at that time of the month- a cruel happenstance. That includes my black belt test, by the way.

"God hates me, that's what it is." "Hate him back- it works for me":D

OP
G

GouRonin

Sometimes I wonder about these regurgitation of material tests. Perhaps that is what causes people to adhere to the material of their system so much and fail to move beyond the "Imitating Monkey" stage into the spontaneous.

I'm all for endurance but perhaps there are other ways to test this? When I was boxing my coach knew I was ready after long hours of sparring in the ring and being able to use the knowledge on an actual use basis. There was no test. Every day was a test.

Maybe I'm just thinking out loud...I dunno.

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Our underblack tests reviewed all basics and katas from White to your current belt. All selfdefense for your current belt is reviewed with Uki and random selfdefense from all other belts are reviewed also. The higher the rank the longer the test.

1st degree black test is all material katas,weapons, self defense....you have learned including extra katas that you may have picked up along the way. This is done at full speed with very little break.. usually last several hours.

My 2nd degree was almost the same except all material other than 2nd black was called out at random. Physically and mentally demanding.

OP
B

bahenlaura

In our school, white to brown test in front of Si-Bok and our Black belts, they are asked various forms and set according to where they are in belt ranking, perform self defense and own personal form are part of the testing too.
Brown and above are tested every 6 month in front of a panel consist of SiGung, Sibok, and other high ranking black belts from other kenpo schools and states. i might also add that after reveiving 1st black, there is a 3 year probation time before you can test for your 2nd and so on.
:p

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
All our tests are taken individually, we don't do group tests.

You are tested on all the material you are supposed to know (forms, techs, sets, basics, etc.) both on a person and in the air.

At orange belt tests and above you are given spontaneous attacks to react against.

At blue and above you start being graded on your teaching ability, and your ability to break down forms and techniques.

At brown you are quized on your knowledge of kenpo history, analysis of the system, etc all categorized into a catch-all "other category."

At black there is a requirement for full (well, almost) contact sparring.

Needless to say all of these are cumulative, my black belt test was 5 hours long, but that is because either A) I screwed up alot and had to show and explain everything I was doing or B) I talked way too much on the "other" category. (I tend toward the latter, my board was grumbling about missing lunch when they were walking out the door.)

Lamont

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree with Jill; the test will be as long as it needs to be. Although I'm not quite sure that testing for each belt you need to retest over everything from the beginning again. That's just an individual instructor thing some do and some don't.

OP
J

jeffkyle

A few tests...and I have seen ALL of them vary depending on several circumstances...It ALL depends!

OP
B

bahenlaura

how can you test through video????????????? sometimes it makes me wonder!!! How can you test through someone else but your own instructor???? i wounder!!!
:confused:

OP
H

headkick

My First Black was about an hour and half. Basics, sets (not all), forms (not all), techniques (not all) and sparring (all :) ). Some tests were shorter. My instructor would ask the other assembled panel members if there was anything else they would like to see before we moved on. Intensity level stays high, conditioning is important and it doesn't forever. I like it. I don't think I would need to see every technique from white to black to know if someone understands what they're doing. Are the basics sound and the same from isolation to sets to forms to techniques? Shouldn't take that long to find out.

Just my thoughts... I've been in longer tests, that's for sure.

OP
G

GouRonin

I remember one test of mine. I had to swim a marathon to an island and fight a tiger. When I finished that I had to swim another marathon to another island and fight their chief and then I had to go into a mine and bring back the water from a dripping spike to heal a sick child.

Come on. People who brag about how tough their belt tests are are wacko. I can't believe some people. As for video testing, it's probably no less valid than any other form of testing. (Although I don't agree with it.) Most testing is a joke anyway. The real testing should be the work you put in daily. As if one day in your life suddenly makes you certified in anything.

Bah...
:soapbox:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin
Most testing is a joke anyway. The real testing should be the work you put in daily. As if one day in your life suddenly makes you certified in anything.

Right on!!!!!!!!!!!:asian:

OP
J

jeffkyle

I remember one test of mine. I had to swim a marathon to an island and fight a tiger. When I finished that I had to swim another marathon to another island and fight their chief and then I had to go into a mine and bring back the water from a dripping spike to heal a sick child.

Come on. People who brag about how tough their belt tests are are wacko. I can't believe some people. As for video testing, it's probably no less valid than any other form of testing. (Although I don't agree with it.) Most testing is a joke anyway. The real testing should be the work you put in daily. As if one day in your life suddenly makes you certified in anything.

Bah...

Well put! :cool:

OP
B

bahenlaura

Bah...

Well said.
i believe the real test is; do you study the art for belt ranking or for knowledge. that my friend is the real test. that what makes people leave studios and go on to another instructor which will give out ranks like candy or buy videos and get ranking through MTV.
honostly do you think your belt can save you out there.
you are right.
My humble oponion.
Burt
Your Brother in Art
:asian:

Latest Discussions