Lengths for Tests and how long between ranks...

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Off topic I know, just a quick response.
Kidswarrior,
You are correct in your "devels advocate"area. Prior to the test the school owners are required to give background information on all B.B. applicants. We understand that some have been in/are in situations that go way beyond anything that is done during our test. Because of this we know that their response to the test stress will be rather low. We will not increase the stress on them.
I know, I get a time out for being off topic, corner here I come again.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've heard Lee Wedlake say something along the lines that anyone who can't tell if you deserve a Blackbelt in two hours doesn't know Kenpo.

Anything longer is just testing endurance and isn't that what regular classes are for?

Jeff

You are correct, heck, most judges should be able to tell in the first half hour. I'd argue that much of the testing isn't for the instructors, it is for the student. They are demonstrating to themselves, just as much as they are to us (as the graders) what they can accomplish when they are tired, or their knowledge of the systems history, or how they deal with problems in the studio, or how they fight full contact when they are exhausted. I want it to be a challenge, I want bruises and exhaustion and frustration. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, it was a true stress test, and that goes beyond just knowledge of the system. I've seen technically proficient black belts that have never bit *hit* and when you see the wind go out of their sails, and you can see in their eyes that they are just looking for an excuse to back off the sparring floor, I won't have that happen to one of my students. I don't think you can show all that it just two hours.

Lamont

Latest Discussions