Respect

Bob White

Green Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 10 years ago I was playing tennis against a former officer in the Israeli army. He mentioned that in Israel, the officers are promoted from within as opposed to being promoted by going to school. The respect of the people you serve with is what enables you to be in a position of leadership. I have mentioned this often at our school. Respect is something that is earned not awarded. All the red on your belt pales in comparison to respect that is earned by working hard, helping others, showing compassion, reliability, staying physically fit, self control etc. Respect from your peers carries a lot more weight than phony belt ranks and glorious titles.
Yesterday we had a belt test at our school. We had 5 people test for various levels. Elizabeth Blanchard went for her black belt. The effort these people put into their preparation was outstanding and as a result they had a great test. They earned their promotions and they earned respect. Our tests are open and we encourage our students to attend and see that the bar is high but is obtainable through effort and consistency.
For those of you that teach I know you understand my happiness.
Respectfully,
Bob White