How high can instructors promote their students?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is no, nor has there ever been a standard other than the one your instructor gave you, and he can't enforce that one.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well said.

Rank and the rules for giving it are subjective. I would love to see the dan grade promotions settled by fights to the death with KFC sporks but until that day I, for one, will continue to just respect each instructor's judgements at face value as no one else's rank has any bearing on mine or any of my student's. We, in general, get too wrapped up over the rank issue. I know the folks that I respect and I do so based on who they are and what they do and how they conduct themselves, not what bit of colored cloth they wrap around their waist. As to what a particular teacher chooses to award their student, that is between that teacher and that student.I keep myself to myself and do my best to provide the best training to my students that I possible can. Enough on my plate with that.

Mark

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well said.

Rank and the rules for giving it are subjective. I would love to see the dan grade promotions settled by fights to the death with KFC sporks but until that day I, ...
Mark
True, but then we'd have arguments about whether or not they were using true KFC sporks or some shoddy offshoot.

Jeff

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which is why, in turn, if lineage and legitimacy is important to an individual, they seek out koryu (or their equivalent in other cultures) arts.

If it is not and it is the approval of their own peers that matters, then such things as koryu do not matter.

The only time when 'rank' beomes a subject for serious contention is when it is either being misrepresented or abused. Other than that, let it go. I was recently promoted to sandan in my art ... did that affect any of the correspondants in this thread? Do any of you (past or present contributors) really care? I seriously doubt it :lol:.

So, in the end, I suppose I'm advocating a "don't fret about it" approach. Certainly don't allow it to spark heated adversarial debate in a thread that hit cryogenic storage a long time ago.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And I suppose all the fat boy wearing 2 bars who can't see the knot don't look stupid. I hope they don't go training on the beach. Wouldn't want Rainbow Warrior towing them into the ocean.

WTF?
Where did that come from? I got an email saying you posted to a thread from almost 3 years ago. I come on here to see this. What are you trying to accomplish?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Farnsworth, he is one of Steve Spry's students, and is chaffing at the fact that Spry is considered a joke by the true Kenpo Seniors

WTF?
Where did that come from? I got an email saying you posted to a thread from almost 3 years ago. I come on here to see this. What are you trying to accomplish?

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
WTF?
I'm new to this forum. I actually joined to refute some of the posts in the General Kenpo forum, concerning Spry. So when I saw another attack, I had to reply, even though the post was posted years ago. My point all along is that it seems ok, even encouraged in the "old boys club" here to attack people and make "humourous comments" concerning them but when the tables are turned, feelings get hurt and grown men start crying. I posted this before I was informed about the RTM feature. BTW, I am no longer in contact with Spry and there is no love lost between us, but the dual standard here is a little weird to me.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I was not attacking him in that post. There was a different picture in the post I was referring to than the one you actually see. Go back & reread what was posted by me in that post. Since you were probably referring to my very last sentence that was my own opinion, not attacking Spry himself. I don't know the guy. Don't much really care about the guy as we have not crossed paths. Beyond that, you are entitled to your opinions as am I. Catch 'ya later.

I'm kinda done with this subject. I'm going to go back to lurking about.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey! Congrats Mark! When did that happen?

A couple of weeks ago - I wish it had happened in a less stressful period of my life so I could have enjoyed the moment more but it was still a wonderful surprise.

In my mind I have always seen third dan as that point where you are no longer considered a 'beginner' and have shown that you have a solid grasp of what your art contains.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was recently promoted to sandan in my art ... did that affect any of the correspondants in this thread? Do any of you (past or present contributors) really care? I seriously doubt it :lol:..

Congratulations on the recent promotion.
Jason

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can promote to any rank you wish, the question is will anyone take that rank seriously. My instructor wears a Bar on his belt but generally tests first black and above only when his instructor (Mr. Wedlake) is present. This means that we get the honor of being tested in front of Mr. Wedlake and my instructor in effect gets tested by our demonstration of what he has taught us.

Jeff

Well put, your instructor is tested by virtue of the quality of the students he puts up.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
I know that different organizations allow different promotion standards.

I think that the American Kenpo standard for black belt levels is two ranks below your own. No promotions can be done under 1st black, except by at least a first black. 8th, 9th and 10th degrees by the board of the organization or association only.

In the Tracy system it is one rank below yourself for Dan rankings. You can recommend advancement to your own level, but it must be approved by the organization. Or done by someone that is qualified to do the promotion. In which case, it is no longer your promotion.

No promotions are done under a black belt level, and Shodan can promote to as high as Ikkyu. (1st brown) in most Kenpo systems.

In Kosho-Ryu all Dan promotions, regardless of the level, are done by the organization head only. At least, that is the case for Bruce Juchnik's "Sei Kosho Shorei Kai".

These are some of the guidelines, as I understand them, anyway.

Thank you,
Milt G.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In Judo, Kendo and Aikido, you typically have to be 3rd Dan to belt, and you can belt up to 2nd Dan. In my Kendo school if you are 5th Dan and up to 8th Dan you can belt to 3rd Dan and one below you. If there are three or more 4th Dan or up on a panel you can belt up to your rank. (All on the panel have to be that rank or higher.) 9th Dan can belt up to 8th Dan without a panel. 10th Dan (only one in school) can belt up to 9th Dan and will announce his replacement at death (via will) or at retirement who will then be 10th Dan.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It has been a really long time but I thought it was up to one below the instructor but my memory is foggy.

Latest Discussions