How has your training in martial arts changed how you think/ walk/ perceive the world?

Stev

White Belt
Reaction score
Compared to before you learned a martial art, or if you have done it since early childhood back when you were a beginner student, how has your training made you act any differently?

Did you notice a difference in how you walk (ie. more grounded or a lighter step)? Have you noticed people regard you differently? Do you think any differently, look at your surroundings with a newer pov?

Thx a lot, just curious about how it's changed you physically/ emotionally/ mentally.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've noticed my body creeks cracks and pops but come to think of it that might be more due to age.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well...since I started when i was 4ish...here I go
Did you notice a difference in how you walk (ie. more grounded or a lighter step)?
Yes! I can now confidently walk/run without tripping over my shoelaces.
Have you noticed people regard you differently?
Oddly enough, they seem to use full sentences around me now...they also get annoyed with my opinions sometimes, which i consider a good thing XD
Do you think any differently
I'd hope so, although I don't remember back then too well, so maybe not
look at your surroundings with a newer pov?
Everything seems bigger somehow.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On a more serious note, I can't answer concretely since I don't know what I would be like if I hadn't started practicing, but I probably would be less confrontational then I am now, and less confident of a person. Also less trusting, since I've learned to trust all my sensei's and friends that I've practiced with through the years.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started when I was a kid and it certainly helped with my confidence, but actually it was my military experience that really changed how I think and I react. I'm much more aware of my surroundings when I'm out and about.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was in school, most of the bullying I endured was verbal...but that was because I had this fear that if I stood up for myself, it would quickly turn physical and I wouldn't be able to handle it. Learning wing chun gave me the confidence to speak up because I knew I'd have more of a fighting chance.

Has it shaped anything else about me? Absolutely because if I hadn't gotten into kung fu, then I would have never learned about other aspect of Chinese culture. Interest in kung fu led to me learning about Taoism, which I identify with MUCH more than any other religion or philosophy.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
well in some ways, every once in a while theres those moments outside of my karate class that i realize i got a bruise maybe on my arm or leg etc... and i have no idea when and how i got a bruise whether it was from arm and leg conditioning, fail to block a punch or kick, or something outside of martial arts.

if there were bullies i would have a pretty clear idea that i can take care of the issue, and before martial arts i probably would have just jumped in and did whatever, now i like to take my time and find weaknesses in the opponent and work that to my advantage with controlled power and specific targets (which ever targets are easy and effective)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the main thing for me is, MA training is like the fountain of youth. When you are older, mixing it with younger guys keeps you on your toes and helps you maintain fitness and vitality. Outside of MA I have a lot of old friends, and by that I mean they are the same chronological age but mentally and physically much, much older.
:asian:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MA training make me to think many steps ahead. When I decide what I want to achieve, I'll find a proper path that can help me to get there. In that path, I try to prevent problems from happening (instead of to let problems to happen and then fix it), and reduce my risk to the minimum.

I have always believed that our daily life is like MA. You should not let your opponent to lead the fight. A simple example, when you date a girl, instead of to let her to lead you to Macy, you should lead her to Dollar Store instead.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How I think? Nah, I was paranoid and therefore hyper aware of my surroundings before...
How I walk? Not so much, I did fall off a ladder at work a few years ago and knowing how to fall, really came in handy... All the times I was knocked on my *** really paid off...
You don't want to know how I perceive the world.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Compared to before you learned a martial art, or if you have done it since early childhood back when you were a beginner student, how has your training made you act any differently?

Did you notice a difference in how you walk (ie. more grounded or a lighter step)? Have you noticed people regard you differently? Do you think any differently, look at your surroundings with a newer pov?

Thx a lot, just curious about how it's changed you physically/ emotionally/ mentally.
I am much more aware of my surroundings and I tend to control my environment much better than I used to. My confidence level has increased as well.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The Marines call this, "Have a plan to Kill everyone you see", but a more poetic way of saying this is, "What if this guy pulls something?" So you should always approach a situation by staying out of people's kill zones, or better said, don't let them square off with you. An as long as you are doing that you mat as well pay attention to which foot you have forward at any given time. Is that the one you want forward or are you going to want to switch up?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How I think? Nah, I was paranoid and therefore hyper aware of my surroundings before...
How I walk? Not so much, I did fall off a ladder at work a few years ago and knowing how to fall, really came in handy... All the times I was knocked on my *** really paid off...
You don't want to know how I perceive the world.
I know... it was my world too. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
just curious about how it's changed you physically/ emotionally/ mentally.
For everything that I do in my daily life, I like to prevent problem from happening and try to reduce my risk to the minimum. I also like to make something to happen instead of to wait for something to happen. I also believe that the more that I can give, the more that I can have my reward. All those came from my MA experience.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm kinder to people. I tend to go out of my way to help folks in distress. I'm far more patient with A-holes (sometimes they even amuse me) I more patient with relatives.

I watch sports with different eyes than what I had before training the arts. Especially contact sports. I play every game I always loved at higher levels since training began.

I didn't notice myself walking any different, but everybody else did. I'm told by trusted friends - it's because you Karate people walk like you just got off a horse.

I eat more cookies than I did before training first began. Hard training calls for massive calorie intake. Oh, sure, I eat a nutritionally sound diet, but I'm thin. A lot of us thin folks have to eat huge amounts of food to train long hours. More power through cookies.

As for folks regarding me differently - not anyone I care about.

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am now more aware of tension building up in my body through the day, when I feel stressed or tired or just when I'm not mindful of relaxation. In my constant attempts to relax physically, the concept has also started to creep into my mental state, as I start to discover that the mind and body cannot be separated. As a result I'm probably a bit more easy-going and potentially a bit more focused when I need to tackle problems.

Another funny thing is I can't help but evaluate simple actions such as opening of closing doors with respect to my waist / core, and how I can, and should perform them more efficiently as linked whole body motions. I have a heavy door (bomb shelter) at home that is very difficult to close, even if you use both hands and throw your whole bodyweight at it; I have since discovered I could close it singlehandedly if I rooted myself properly, sank my weight and applied spiraling action from the waist, and it did seem less effort was needed. Quite remarkable...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
[h=2]Re: How has your training in martial arts changed how you think/ walk/ perceive the world?[/h]
On the mat (or in the ring), I want to eat my opponent alive. Off the mat/ring, I want to be the nicest guy in the world.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm kinder to people. I tend to go out of my way to help folks in distress. I'm far more patient with A-holes (sometimes they even amuse me) I more patient with relatives.

I watch sports with different eyes than what I had before training the arts. Especially contact sports. I play every game I always loved at higher levels since training began.

I didn't notice myself walking any different, but everybody else did. I'm told by trusted friends - it's because you Karate people walk like you just got off a horse.

I eat more cookies than I did before training first began. Hard training calls for massive calorie intake. Oh, sure, I eat a nutritionally sound diet, but I'm thin. A lot of us thin folks have to eat huge amounts of food to train long hours. More power through cookies.

As for folks regarding me differently - not anyone I care about.

I wish I was on the same page with you there about the "patient with relatives" thing. Then again, maybe I would be...if I didn't live with them. LOL

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used to be easily angry when I felt violated, now I am somehow more forgiving, you know the feeling that you able to do him if you want but you choose not.
Back then I felt angry more because I didn't have the confidence if I can take care myself when thing is escalating.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions