How effective is world tkd in stopping a take down

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
His footwork is almost exclusively Shotokan Karate!!!! Very similar to TKD!!! We have studied his footwork and TDD in great detail! He is very!!!!!!!! Good!!!!!! He has made some wrestlers pay!!!!!

Here is a video of a Machida Fight.
http://mma-net.com/dan-henderson-vs-lyoto-machida/
Please show us a Shotokan fight video and explain the footwork similarities and how what he is doing is almost exclusively Shotokan.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is a video of a Machida Fight.
http://mma-net.com/dan-henderson-vs-lyoto-machida/
Please show us a Shotokan fight video and explain the footwork similarities and how what he is doing is almost exclusively Shotokan.

My statement was way to simplistic!

Pick any video!!! There are plenty of Machida Shotokan match videos on the Internet!

His retreat! His rotation out! His sprawl, leg sweeps. His wide stance!!!

His kicking, jab,reverse punch....His use of Sen No Sen and Go No Sen!!!

He uses all of this in MMA!!!

Also I am referring to his striking style and his TDD defense!!! His overall game has elements of MT, BJJ and western Boxing!!! But 90% of what he does is Machida's adaptation of Shotokan in the striking area!!!!

I might need to clarify...my knowledge of Shotokan is directly and completely related to our Instructor!!!

His style is so similar to Machida's...he was brought in to imulate Machida's style and be a sparing partner for Randy Couture and Ryan Bader!

If you do a little research Ryan Bader refers to a Karate Master in his preflight interveiw for the Machida fight....That is is our Sensei!

So what I see as Shotokan might be a mixture of Shotokan, Judo, Sport Karate and TKD...Although we are traditional Shotokan in terms off respect and how we act in the Dojo we are very diverse in how we train and fight!

Until you questioned me I thought it was self evident! When I thought about it...what I see as Shotokan and what you see as Shotokan might be very different!

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
My statement was way to simplistic!

Pick any video!!! There are plenty of Machida Shotokan match videos on the Internet!

His retreat! His rotation out! His sprawl, leg sweeps. His wide stance!!!

Until you questioned me I thought it was self evident! When I thought about it...what I see as Shotokan and what you see as Shotokan might be very different!

Well, can you point me to a "Shotokan" sprawl on video?

Do "Shotokan" sweeps differ from Judo Sweeps? can you explain how or perhaps provide video examples?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/10/16/1086745/ufc-104-preview-bloody-elbow-judo

I said we use multiple Martial Arts!!! Something on Machida!!!

BTW way I know when I am being patronized!!!!

I understand that you use multiple MA's. I only have knowledge of Shotokan fro visiting and training at an acquaintance dojo and some observations. There may certainly be techniques I am not familiar with that are characteristicaly Shotokan and used by Machida. Since I would not recognize them as such I asked for examples. To the uninitiated like me they simply look like versions of techniques found in many MA's or developed thru cross training.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master Weiss are you involved in sport competition?

Not sure how to answer the "involved" part. Age and longevity now relegates me to judging / scouting / coaching at formal competitions. Actual competition is done by students. I do however workout with students on a limited basis as well as on my own and with other instructors. . For a "TKD guy" I have an OK grappling background with Judo being my first MA in 1971, and sucking up Ju Jitsu when time and energy allowed since 1974 with a dabbling in Hapkido for a ccouple of years at a typical TKD / Hapkido school in college. There were also various grappling and striking events thru the years.

If that does not address your question please elaborate and I will attempt a better answer.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I an sorry if I took you wrong,...Shotokan doesn't not have sprawl or in those terms...but remember like I said my Karate knowledge is limited to what we train for sports.... The judo that we learn is modifiyed for use in WKF/NKF comps so I am not sure were Karate ends and Judo Begins??? In a karate comps you can't throw someone over your shoulder so we don't work on it everything that we do right now is focused on Tkd and karate comps and that's it!!!!just don't have enough time!!!!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You might find this interestinghttp://njmaonline.com/lyoto-machida-and-his-use-of-shotokan-karate/

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lyoto Machida is pretty good at avoiding take down with footwork and the occasional sprawl!!!!

Machida is also a BJJ black belt and was a Brazilian sumo champion. It's a lot easier to strike without fear of being taken down when you are also a top-notch grappler.

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Follow up: I have noticed from my various training (hapkido, tkd, tang soo do) that we envision opponents based upon our own art. The self defense I picked along the way was predicated upon assumptions of movement and ways of attack. In order for students to have a better grasp of reality, I am going to encourage them to study grappling of some sort. No martial art is the complete package. Thanks to everyone for sounding off.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
we envision opponents based upon our own art.
Of course we do. When we train, we train against opponents who are in our class who are trying out the same moves we are. Regional fighting systems developed as they did for a variety of reasons. Shotokan is the way it is for a variety of reasons, not all of them having to do with fighting. Same goes for Taekwondo.

If you want to train against a fighting style outside of the one you train in, you need to find people trained in the specific things you're looking to learn to be good against and spar. That can be time consuming and depending on where you live, may also require some travel.

As an aside, I think the topic is a good one, but that you might have gotten better responses if you had worded the OP differently.

Latest Discussions