Punches @ USAT Nationals

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Charlie scored 46 points 18 by punches...1 penalty and the rest by body kicks...not one head shot!!!!

This was a 15-17 BB World Class Bantam Division!

I thought is was a lot when he scored 7 @ the Canadian Open!!!

ATC and Carl watched some of his fights!!! Thoughts!!!!

4 fights scores 16-2, 11-1, 13-1, 6-2!!!!

Punches are being scored if you throw them correctly!!!

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I did watch Charlie and was impressed. His work on the technique was evident. To those who haven't seen what he's doing, here's my take: his punch is the attack, not an afterthought or secondary strike. Just like a good off-the-line round kick, if your strike comes from the ground and has good posture and technique, it can hit hard. Charlie did not overreach his base or strike short with a bent arm; he's developed the timing to hit at the sweet spot in the power of the technique. It was fun to watch, and his opponents didn't have a consistent answer to it.

When I got home I was hoping Gorilla (or USAT) would share video as a "how to" for athletes and those who say punches don't score. USAT should use video of Charlie to teach referees what to look for in a punch--it's all there.

Congratulations to Charlie and his coaches for developing a weapon that others have not!

Carl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well in Zachs ring they just did not score them, he has always scored one or two points a match but not that day. Nothing wrong it just was not scored, watched a few other matches and the same ring did not score punches. Some of the refs are still in deniel about punches. Good for Charlie and I wish him and Caleb would have meet up, it would have been a match to see.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes Charlie did well. I think the Karate and Mrs. Limas has really helped to developed his punching. I saw quite a bit of punching being scored at nationals this year. I think to score with a punch it is all about timing and distance. You can punch hard but miss that timing where the judges can see it and it wont score. Even if you knock your opponent down or even wind him or her. Charlie has the timing down with the distance so his punches standout.

My Son AJ had a match against Charlie and lost to him. Charlie scored twice with punches and I ask my son how were the punches. He said that he has been hit harder but that Charlie got him at the right distance that stopped his momentum. He got caught at the end of the punch where the arm is almost fully extended so it was seen clearly and because the arm is just about straight it stops the opponent from moving forward, and is seen as a stopping or shocking punch. Charlie is really good at it. More kids need to practice it. Others that punch tend to have the arm bent and use their body weight and shoulder to deliver the blow to close to the opponent. While that type of punch may hit harder the judges can't see it, and because the arm is bent, it allows the opponent to keep moving forward as the arm simply gets pushed back after the hit, and is not seen as a shocking blow.

Punching is something we will definitely be working on this off season.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My point was to bring up the fact that pouches in TKD matches are being scored more often than in the past! He fought on 3 different rings and they scored on all three!!

Carl/Art/Terry you brought up good points! Thanks!

He works on punching about 1hr a day! His jab is his best punch but that is for Karate!!!!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

A question. At 1:35 in the first, the judges apparently engage in some sort of conference. During this, at the start, both competitors are facing in the same direction. Charlie pretty much held his position, bouncing a bit in place. The competitor in red was moving around, walking in circles, and just generally not showing what I would expect as discipline; in a similar situation, when I am judging, I expect competitors to face away from each other, and to stay still until the judges conference is over. Is the movement normal and acceptable?

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
@ 1:35 Charlie's coach protested and asked for a Video replay!!!! He was asking for the extra point in the spin kick which was denied!!!! Because the punch was scored not the kick!

The fighters should face the coach! It is not enforced well in most matches!

What you saw was generally acceptable!!! Isaac, the other player was trying to hear what the our coach was saying! Probably a smart move if you can get away with it?

Last edited:

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Charlie scored 46 points 18 by punches...1 penalty and the rest by body kicks...not one head shot!!!!

This was a 15-17 BB World Class Bantam Division!

I thought is was a lot when he scored 7 @ the Canadian Open!!!

ATC and Carl watched some of his fights!!! Thoughts!!!!

4 fights scores 16-2, 11-1, 13-1, 6-2!!!!

Punches are being scored if you throw them correctly!!!

Those are impressive stats: We punch a lot at my dojang, but haven't been able to produce such results.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The girl in the red threw a weak punch and was surprised it did not score!!!

Graffe is a great fighter saw her at the German Open!!!! She fought Jackie Galloway AAU National Team won 3-2 if I remember right! Not sure on the score!!!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The girl in the red threw a weak punch and was surprised it did not score!!!

Graffe is a great fighter saw her at the German Open!!!! She fought Jackie Galloway AAU National Team won 3-2 if I remember right! Not sure on the score!!!
Yes there is definitely a distance thing that has to happen. They are not hard punches but they are visually noticeable. The old way of cover punching was taught to move in (slide or step into your opponent while punching) to generate power with the punch. Well the judges can see that type of punch and most times is just looks like the two players are clinching. Notice that the Blue player only punched when the red player was in a open stance trying to kick with the back leg. No need to move as the player is coming to you, simply punch with the rear hand. I notice that there is no punching when starting attack to the back side. Red did a front leg back leg connection kick (kick front leg put down foot then kick back leg) and got tagged with a punch again. I wonder if she would have use a double kick vs. a connection kick if blue would not have punched at all. Seeing the slower rear leg off the line type kick seems to give the puncher that stand their ground the distance and timing needed.

I will need to study more fights and look for the punches that score. I my observation pans out I may have something in mind to nullify or minimize at best, the puncher. There is definitely a method to punching for a score, once that method.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dumb question maybe - if hard punches to the body are scored, how can clinching happen? Or to put it another way, why don't people do rib/liver shots like Bas Rutten when in clinching range?

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dumb question maybe - if hard punches to the body are scored, how can clinching happen? Or to put it another way, why don't people do rib/liver shots like Bas Rutten when in clinching range?
Hook punches, punches in the clinch, Jabs...don't score!!!!Only fully extended straight punches when the other fight is hit with significant force to stop the attacking fighter in his tracks or send him backwards will score!

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hook punches, punches in the clinch, Jabs...don't score!!!!Only fully extended straight punches when the other fight is hit with significant force to stop the attacking fighter in his tracks or send him backwards will score!
OK, thanks. I looked through the rules and found the explanation:

"The term “Fist technique” means a powerful fist strike to opponent’s permitted trunk area, using the front part of the firmly clenched fist while stretching the striking arm."

and

"A Gam-jeom penalty shall be given at the referee’s discretion for any of the following:
- When the starting point of the fist attack was over the shoulder
- When the fist attack was made upward"

Latest Discussions