Okinawan forms in TKD

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, this is branching off from another thread, but I felt it appropriate to start anew.

We were discussing the appearance of Okinawa forms (Pinan/Heian, Naiahanchi/Tekki, Chinto/Gankaku, etc) in TKD, particularly Chung Do Kwan. The TKD guy I train with, who knows the Okinawan forms, studies Moo Duk Kwan TKD.

From what I've been able to tell, the Okinawan forms were eliminated with the rise of the World Tae Kwon Do Federation (WTF). Apparently, the organization sought to eliminate all of the Japanese/Okinawan forms in the style in order to make it a 'pure' Korean system. So, this would explain way recent students of TKD don't know the Okinawan forms.

This info was gathered from only a few sources. Any verification/contradiction would be welcome.

Cthulhu

K

kickerfour

Choi Hung Hi began to elimate the Karate forms during the late 1950's and 1960's. In his 1966 version of the TDK enclyclopedia, a few of them are shown along with the origianl 20 TKD forms. Shortly after that, the Karate forms were complete eliminated and TKD was made up of the 24 Ch'ang Hon patterns. Later, Kukkiwon created their own patterns.

Some of the "old" schools of Korean martial art still teach and use the Karate forms.

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, kickerfour! This is the first time I've seen a timeframe placed on when the Okinawan forms were dropped.

I wasn't even aware that TKD used to teach Okinawan forms until a couple of years ago, when I began to train informally with a TKD instructor at school. He's what I call 'old school' TKD and primarily teaches the Okinawan kata.

Cthulhu
@ work