ITF & WTF is there any more?

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The ITF had people from many kwans, they were just re-badged Oh Do Kwan in the army.

As I have said, my book is written by the brains behind the ITF techniques and has crescent kicks and other circular attacks in. I think this linear business is a misconception, even in Shotokan karate.

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
Please bear in mind that the ITF under Gen. Choi was only 1 of 9 kwans, and that each kwan developed somewhat separately - so it would not surprise me at all if some techniques, or types of techniques, appeared earlier in some kwans that others, nor, therefore, would it surprise me if the texts developed by the founder of one kwan was different than that of another; actually, it would surprise me much more if they were the same.

I am well aware of the differences between the kwans and that the ITF represents Gen. Choi's influences and preferences. I didn't mean to sound as if I were trying to contradict you, I just wanted to add to the conversation.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ITF had people from many kwans, they were just re-badged Oh Do Kwan in the army.

As I have said, my book is written by the brains behind the ITF techniques and has crescent kicks and other circular attacks in. I think this linear business is a misconception, even in Shotokan karate.

That may well be, in your experience and training, and I am not disputing that your experience may well be different than mine; I am working from the texts in my possession and my sahbum's descriptions of his personal experiences over the last 28 years - including several times when he has described to me and others remembering when Gen. Choi came to the US for seminars and introduced circular techniques not previously taught in the USTF. Is it possible that such techniques were taught outside the US prior to that time? Certainly - but in his experience, that's when/how such techniques were introduced, when he was a senior color belt, in the late 70's (he started training in 1979) and early 80s (he received his I Dan in '83). I have heard similar stories from my sahbum's sahbum, who began training in 1966, and was present for many of the changes I am describing.

I am well aware of the differences between the kwans and that the ITF represents Gen. Choi's influences and preferences. I didn't mean to sound as if I were trying to contradict you, I just wanted to add to the conversation.

No worries - I realize that many peoples' training and experience are different from mine, and I was trying to explain my background so that it would be clearer where I was getting my information and perspective from.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to start a fight, but Tae Kwon Do is "The art of Hand and Foot" hapkido is "The way of coordinated power."

I use Tae Kwon do for physical therapy, the poomsea is just beautiful and graceful. Watching lower belts performing EE Jang or Dan Gun in coordination is just fantastic.

However, as TKDMEL has tried to point out, There are extensive differences.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been looking in that book since I was a child (My father bought the book in New York City in 1966) and I never really noticed about the circular techniques. Now I'm curious enough to go back and look. :)

R. McLain

I pulled my book off of the shelf and checked for circular techniques. The only one I found was on page 77 for the instruction of a circular block, like an outside center block (depending on the terminology you use). I don't know the Chang hon forms Choi Hong-hi created, so I cannot comment if there are any circular techniques in those. Fairly sure there are supposed to be. These forms in my 1965 copy have very few photos. But, it still lists the Shorin-Ryu karate forms in the book and I know there are circular techniques in those.

Of course, my book is dated 1965, and I'm sure Choi's TKD system naturally evolved a bit between then and his death.

R. McLain

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
The WTF school I am involved with now uses alot of Hapkido as advanced material. I studied with an ITF school that was straight TKD. The only difference I have ever seen is how the material is presented on a school by school basis.