How does Ki benefit you?

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have read about it and come across it in multiple types of media. From books by masters of different martial arts, including Musashi I believe, to common meditation commercials. However, I cannot find any literature on how Ki can benefit the individual, whether it be in their normal day to day lives or in the midst of fighting or sparring.
So here are three questions:
  • What is Ki?
  • How does Ki benefit me as a student of the martial arts who wishes to break his limits and become stronger?
  • How do I "increase" my Ki?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should start by checking your midichlorian levels.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have read about it and come across it in multiple types of media. From books by masters of different martial arts, including Musashi I believe, to common meditation commercials. However, I cannot find any literature on how Ki can benefit the individual, whether it be in their normal day to day lives or in the midst of fighting or sparring.
So here are three questions:
  • What is Ki?
  • How does Ki benefit me as a student of the martial arts who wishes to break his limits and become stronger?
its the life force, or the projection there off

it doesnt help you break your limits, breaking your limits increases you chi, its not the cause its the effect, it is useful for picking up women and getting traffic to stop so you can cross and less often staring down rabid pit bulls or their owners

break your limits

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ki exercise and meditation can help tremendously with helping you become acquainted with and attuned to your body.
The sensations of breathing, moving, stretching, living.
You will become very familiar with your body and mind if you take some time to pay attention to how energy and life flows inside you.

The mistake is to think this is some magic ritual or recipe for some desired result. Like many things, you must take what you gain from this exercise and then apply yourself to gain what result you may want.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ki is absolutely not:

- something someone can use against you
- able to blast your opponent
- something you should spend your savings on
- really all that big a deal (I mean it is..but it's so general that it's not a huge deal)

The primary lesson is that you must breathe in and breathe out. Feel the breath of life flow in and out of you like a wave. Let it empower you and help carry you through the moment. Through each fight, each encounter, your whole life.
Someone who is in tune with their breath is also in their present moment; their mind is not worrying or thinking about things going on someplace else. They are able to be present and approach the current situation with their whole focus.

These are some benefits you can apply to your day to day work and activities.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ki is absolutely not:

- something someone can use against you
- able to blast your opponent
- something you should spend your savings on
- really all that big a deal (I mean it is..but it's so general that it's not a huge deal)

The primary lesson is that you must breathe in and breathe out. Feel the breath of life flow in and out of you like a wave. Let it empower you and help carry you through the moment. Through each fight, each encounter, your whole life.
Someone who is in tune with their breath is also in their present moment; their mind is not worrying or thinking about things going on someplace else. They are able to be present and approach the current situation with their whole focus.

These are some benefits you can apply to your day to day work and activities.
Hahaha I never thought it was; I have seen enough bullshido videos to last a lifetime. I was just interested in what it's actual role and application in martial arts consists of.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
  • What is Ki?
Ki means a lot of things, but the closest word would be "intent". It is the mind that moves before the body does. The cat in the video below sees its goal and, in its mind, it has already jumped and caught it with its "ki". Its body realises that vision by engaging its muscles and making continuous adjustments.

Same thing with Ronaldinho below. He first imagines the trajectory of the ball, then the body follows.

Building ki produces greater perception and body control, which allows for greater stability, power and movement complexity, among other things. It has also positive effects on health. At (very) high level, you can use ki to move your body as a single unit, which is difficult to handle:

Proper training and a healthy lifestyle naturally increase ki by some amount. Dedicated practice of almost any activity can also give you insights on ki as well, like a boxer may take dance lessons for footwork. There are also isometrics, partner exercises and breathing methods that build ki for martial purposes.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
  • What is Ki?
Ki means a lot of things, but the closest word would be "intent". It is the mind that moves before the body does. The cat in the video below sees its goal and, in its mind, it has already jumped and caught it with its "ki". Its body realises that vision by engaging its muscles and making continuous adjustments.

Same thing with Ronaldinho below. He first imagines the trajectory of the ball, then the body follows.

Building ki produces greater perception and body control, which allows for greater stability, power and movement complexity, among other things. It has also positive effects on health. At (very) high level, you can use ki to move your body as a single unit, which is difficult to handle:

Proper training and a healthy lifestyle naturally increase ki by some amount. Dedicated practice of almost any activity can also give you insights on ki as well, like a boxer may take dance lessons for footwork. There are also isometrics, partner exercises and breathing methods that build ki for martial purposes.
that was going so well, till you put one of those stupid fake videos up, that the nonsense that holds tma back

so then, how does a cat improve it chi ? and how do you know whats its thinking ?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My view is that ki is another way of looking at stuff most of us would describe with different words. It encompasses (depending on the discussion): intent, coordination of muscles and strucutre, relaxation, breathing, and calmness. I teach my students early on that it's really just a shorthand for those things. So, when I teach them to "project ki" in a given direction, it's mostly a mental trick they play on themselves. Visualizing it as an energy projecting in that direction causes some subtle changes in how they use their muscles. Most of the "ki exercises" are (in my opinion) nothing more than learning to coordination relaxation with proper structure and muscle use.

So, what does it benefit the student? Less wasted energy via relaxation. Gassing out less quicklly through controlled breathing (which also helped with my asthma). Better structure for controlling your body. And a good shortcut for some hand fighting principles.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always find it weird when people talk about ki ,and chi and qi ,and all these confusing terms I don't understand. Its like people purposefully make this stuff confusing so half wits like my self cannot understand them.

I could be off bases here. but usually when I think about ki I like to think of it like just plain old energy. Ever had a good night sleep ,and wake up feeling great? What about after eating a nice meal? or exercising? I like to think of that feeling as ki. that's my interpretation at least.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always find it weird when people talk about ki ,and chi and qi ,and all these confusing terms I don't understand. Its like people purposefully make this stuff confusing so half wits like my self cannot understand them.

I could be off bases here. but usually when I think about ki I like to think of it like just plain old energy. Ever had a good night sleep ,and wake up feeling great? What about after eating a nice meal? or exercising? I like to think of that feeling as ki. that's my interpretation at least.
if youve ever been in a room with someone with high ki, then you know what it looks like or possibly more accurately feels like

Last edited:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
if youve ever been in a room with someone with high ki, then you know what it looks like or possibly more accurately feels like
I've practiced tai chi and heard people talk about how they feel it and stuff, but it still boggles the mind ,and really further fuels my confusion.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've practiced tai chi and heard people talk about how they feel it and stuff, but it still boggles the mind ,and really further fuels my confusion.
have you ever met someone who is really charismatic, thats their ki you can feel/ experiences

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would more say that is just their personality.
no its the projection of that personality, every body has one, no one has more than anybody else, some people can project that and effect how other people behave positively towards them.

if you project lots of personality and everybody hates you, they they dont normally call you charismatic, arrogant perhaps

Last edited:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
have you ever met someone who is really charismatic, thats their ki you can feel/ experiences
I've met plenty people who claim the feel it and stuff. My instructor included. Always been too confused to know what I'm looking for. If I have felt it then I'm completely oblivious to it.

Latest Discussions