How do you want to win?

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Your list is quite odd too. Lot of options missing...
Well even if I made a list of 50 there would still be missing options...I tried to cover the most common ones.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Choosing a martial art in no way lessens any of your options, you are just increasing the chances of certain options being more effective. And the way you are addressing it, it would seem like you believe that you can only use the "stereotypical" martial art; boxers can only punch, taekwondoists can only kick, judoka can only grapple, etc.

Not only is this not true in that someone that only practices punching can only punch, there are also often a lot of facets of each art, and every person will gain their own perspective on it.

People who practice with handguns might not see that as their preferred method, just that if they HAVE to use it, they don't stuff it up, because that's when they're really in trouble.

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
And then of course, there's the obvious question of how you define a "fight:" is it a mugging, or simply a difference of opinion gone wrong?
When faced with an obvious intent to physical harm.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well even if I made a list of 50 there would still be missing options...I tried to cover the most common ones.

Most common from what source? Police statistics? All the street fights you've been in? A wise master told you? A magic repository in your brain?

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
And the way you are addressing it, it would seem like you believe that you can only use the "stereotypical" martial art; boxers can only punch, taekwondoists can only kick, judoka can only grapple, etc.
I think there is such a thing as an *instinctive response* based on training yes.

For example, I took Judo from the ages of 10-17 and that was always my first and only response in schoolyard scraps.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
1,2 4,5

i guess. That would mean karate in the broadest sense of the word, emptyhanded if at all possible.

Wouldn't want to up the stakes, become more criminal and violent unless my life were in danger or i were up against many and even then may be a very wrong time to up the ante. From the legal not to mention moral perspective i would not ever pull a blade on an unarmed person, for example. Such actions are plain stupid dangerous and very serious, whatever the case.
As they say something like, he who reaches to use the sword may well have a sword used on him in turn.
I have witnessed some incidents where a fight started and the one guy without warning cut the wrist area of the other man. This was in japan and the victim was a foreigner the one who cut i believe was most likey japanese. Not that it matters, was in a bar. After that it seems the guy who cut ran off and the guy was left bleeding badly out of the deep gash in his wrist.
I think that it is morally wrong and cowardice to cut someone without warning. I can see it happening out of a defensive reaction, yet, i still think i could only condone, or get any ideas myself, if life were threatened..

j

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I didnt have to worry about the repercussions of my actions , it would be a kick to the top of their knee when they least expect it. Its fast , unpredictable and even if you stuff it up they will still require a full knee reconstruction , if its landed well........ god only knows. The problem with this is obviously if they take legal action and you pay their medical bills.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Several people have replied to this thread with a similar 'any which way I can' answer...but in choosing any particular martial art you have already limited your options and already chosen a particular way to win.

That is true to a degree, though ninjutsu and jujutsu are fairly broad systems that include all the things that were mentioned in the original post.

On the other hand, if you choose to carry no weapon, the range of 'any which way I can' becomes a lot narrower.

Not really, because I cannot choose to carry a weapon. CCW licenses do exist in Belgium, but it is extremely rare for them to be granted to non LEO or gov personell. And even they would have a very good reason to get one.

My best bet is choosing a broad martial art and training hard. Mind you, self defense was not my primary goal.

Ninjutsu has the advantage that hanbo (three feet staff) techniques are an important weapons part, and those techniques translate easily to the use of a cane as a weapon.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would prefer to zap any attacker with my phantom zone projector...

but since it is not alowed to carry around here I`ll just have to improvise with a kick, punch or whatever else the situation calls for.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several people have replied to this thread with a similar 'any which way I can' answer...but in choosing any particular martial art you have already limited your options and already chosen a particular way to win.

That of course assumes you do martial arts for self defense and not for sport.

Some people for example chose to become proficient at shooting handguns, and that will henceforth be their preferred method of survival.

It covers a wide range of circumstances, but if you kill someone the courts could rule it as an excessive use of force.

On the other hand, if you choose to carry no weapon, the range of 'any which way I can' becomes a lot narrower.

I dont think that it limits you as much as you think it does. Now, I'll be the first to say that there will always be someone bigger and badder, and our training doesn't make up Supermen and women, but it does give us an edge. Additionally, I feel that its very important to be as well rounded as possible. This is why I'm an advocate of not being stagnant but instead, looking at the vast majority of arts that're out there.

I train in Kenpo, which is my base, and longest art, followed by Arnis and BJJ. Those 3, which blend together very well, give me, what I feel, is a very well rounded base.

Now, you said that by just choosing your art, you're deciding how you'll win. I disagree, because as I said, I keep an open mind, and dont bind myself to one thing. What I mean by that is: When I say one thing, I'm not just talking about 1 or more arts, but the concepts of those arts. Some Kenpo people seem to think that if something is not done the exact same way Parker did it, you're breaking some mold, some pattern, some sacred thing. I call BS on that. As I said, things can change from moment to moment, therefore, how can you say, "Well, if the guy punches me, I'll do this." We can start to do what we're thinking, but if it changes, and it will, I need to change my method of winning.

You train the preset ways of defense and offense, so that when you need them, you'll be able to call upon the best thing, at that moment, for whats happening to you. That IMO, is the goal of the arts...to be able to react and not have to think thru a huge laundry list of things.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is not a thread about whether you will win a real fight on the street...but HOW you want to win.

I want to vanquish my foe by projecting a visible ball of KI that renders them into a quivering, repentant, humbled heap of flesh followed by all the men within sight kneeling before me begging for mercy while all the women coo and vy for my affection.

Here are some pros and cons as I see it.
Feel free to critique the following list.

1. Win by throwing to the ground...your opponent might get the wind knocked out of them, or might just reach out and grab your legs, kick your knee joint, or simply get up and attack you again.

If you throw them correctly and well, they won't be getting up, kicking or grabbing anything. They will be whimpering and gasping for breath. If they are concious.

2. Win by joint locking...your opponent might have friends waiting nearby who could easily take advantage. Two against one on the ground always wins.

Joint locks taken a bit further are joint dislocations. If friends approach, advise the the lockee that their approach means dislocation. By the way: in hapkido we don't have to lay on the ground to lock joints. In fact, we prefer to stay on our feet.

Not good to phrase things with "always" and/or "never." Things are never going to be how you always expect them to go.

3. Win by joint dislocating...cant think of a single disadvantage.

Depends on who you are defending yourself from, doesn't it? I'd hate to dislocate my brother's wrist over a drunken mistake.

4. Win by knock out strike with hands...if your hands arent conditioned you might break knuckles.

What about knifehand, ridgehand or palm strikes?

5. Win by knock out strike with feet...slow, unbalanced, risky.

Says you. My kicks aren't slow. I am balanced when kicking (although, admitedly, that balance is certainly easier to disrupt). Risky to whom?

Good kickers aren't taking a risk any greater than a poor puncher is. And life is full of risk.

6. Win by slashing knife wound...could land you in deep legal dodo.

I think you mean doo doo. Dodo is an extinct flightless bird.

I would rather not slash someone with a knife. I'd prefer my machete or a nice katana. Unfortunately, I don't have a katana. I do have a machete and a really nice K-Bar though. Slashing someone is really low on my list — unless they have done or attempted to do something horrible to a family member. Then lecturing them on the error of their ways while they slowly bleed out might be appropriate.

7. Win by stabbing knife wound...your opponent might be able to keep fighting for another 20 seconds...see above.

A well-placed stab would shorten this window of dubious opportunity for the attacker.

8. Win by gunshot wound...see above.

Yea, I'm sure they would be all over me despite the .40 caliber hollowpoint wounds. That would be a rough 20 seconds for me to weather ...

Of course, if they are still coming at me, I'm pretty sure I could manage to empty a 12-round magazine, drop it, load a SECOND 12-round mag and continue applying .40 cal wounds.

9. Win by blunt force weapon (such as a billy club/baton)...preferred by police, quick, accurate, almost perfect.

Police prefer this? A club is only as accurate as the person swinging it. And hits only as hard. Hardly perfection. Just like the Three Unforgiveable Curses in Harry Potter books, the person using a club has to MEAN it. And if they are capable of that WITH a club, they are probably capable of it empty handed.

A club is really only a force magnifier and reach extender, not an "almost perfect" solution.

All joking and critiques aside, I think the KI ball is my preference. No touch knockout is a close second, but I still haven't mastered either.

/end funning around

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Alrighty then

I want to win by crushing my enemies, seeing them driven before me, and hearing the lamentations of their women. :samurai:

Pff, a cheap ripoff!

""The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your
enemies and chase them before you, to rob
them of their wealth and see those dear
to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp
to your bosom their wives and daughters."
-Djengis Khan

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

But then that would mean my enemies are also the women .....Alrighty then

I want to win by crushing my enemies, seeing them driven before me, and hearing the lamentations of them all... assuming any survive

see... I'm an equal opportunity oppressor :mst: :D

Sheesh… you can’t even subjugate other without someone complaining about inequality of some sort :rolleyes: .... you know :viking1: ... guy bent on world domination :knight: has feelings too.. but did you think about that...noooooo :D

Latest Discussions